TESLA Truck?

krelithous

Supporter
knowing of all of the problems that people had with there model s and x. i would def question quality control!!! no i would not buy one. iv'e heard complaints from doors not aligning properly to things rattling to the touch screen going blank lol!!! i wonder if you swap out a door handle on this thing if you'll need to have the truck re flashed to get the new door handle to work:stare1:!!! hell if you swap out a simple door handle on a model S or X you need to reprogram the entire car over a freaking door handle complete junk and a big money grab. i wouldn't buy a salvaged one thats for sure as you'll get NO support in rebuilding it!!! and they won't sell you the high voltage parts funny how you can walk into toyota and bmw and buy the high voltage parts and fix the car yourself!!! tesla has to many shady sides for me to do business with!!!

Last edited:

krelithous

Supporter
i also find it suspicious that musk didn't announce the empty weight of the truck making it seem like another money grab for a cash strapped company that's almost bankrupt. the 500 mile truck would atleast need a 900-1000 kwh battery. another thing that makes me suspicious is that musk got his range from testing it on flat ground. what about going over hills and through the mountains more than likely range will decline. and knowing that they could be on the verge of a bankruptcy i would not buy the time of day off him

That is the problem. No one owns a Tesla........they keep promising to make them but unforeseen errors, lack of production, under estimated costs etc etc etc etc

Yeah you know they charged Tucker for less and we are handing this ahole Federal Grants by the train load. I vote we send him something else from the government.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That is the problem. No one owns a Tesla........they keep promising to make them but unforeseen errors, lack of production, under estimated costs etc etc etc etc

Yeah you know they charged Tucker for less and we are handing this ahole Federal Grants by the train load. I vote we send him something else from the government.
A 2000-pounder with a laser guidance package would take care of the problem.

Thread starter #11
That's the spirit -- let's put an end to U.S. based ingenuity and progress and let China and others develop all the future technologies that will be used for the next 100 years.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That's the spirit -- let's put an end to U.S. based ingenuity and progress and let China and others develop all the future technologies that will be used for the next 100 years.
It's an overrated POS. Musk never published real specs on it. There's another thread we have where his product is thoroughly dissected. It's (at best) a creation that might work in a local setting.

Thread starter #13
The old straw-man argument. I'm assuming you're saying the proposed truck is a "POS" and thus Musk doesn't deserve Federal grants for any of his enterprises. I can't really speak to whether the truck is going to work, hence the reason I started this thread, but I can say that Musk is an extraordinary asset to this country and I'm not bothered by any Federal grants that make their way to him. Perhaps you're not keen on electric cars but let's examine SpaceX - it's the WORLD LEADER (governments included) on rocket technology - surely you can get behind that?

Mike

Staff member
The old straw-man argument. I'm assuming you're saying the proposed truck is a "POS" and thus Musk doesn't deserve Federal grants for any of his enterprises. I can't really speak to whether the truck is going to work, hence the reason I started this thread, but I can say that Musk is an extraordinary asset to this country and I'm not bothered by any Federal grants that make their way to him. Perhaps you're not keen on electric cars but let's examine SpaceX - it's the WORLD LEADER (governments included) on rocket technology - surely you can get behind that?
Musk is a genius at overs pending and under delivering. And he is doing it with my money.

Grants should be "loans" and be paid back.

SpaceX - it's the WORLD LEADER (governments included) on rocket technology - surely you can get behind that
No. See as bad a NASA spending is we have oversight of it through congressional budgets.

Our money going to these fly by night tech barons has no over sight. And further is not paid back in any form.

Thread starter #17
Musk is a genius at overs pending and under delivering. And he is doing it with my money.

Grants should be "loans" and be paid back.
I think you might be overestimating your personal stake in Tesla, SolarCity, and SpaceX as much of the public funding comes in the form of tax relief or certain States providing incentives to build factories. Regardless, even combined, the grants are smaller than many other companies -- and Musk has actually asked for the Feds to stop the Federal electric car subsidy.

No. See as bad a NASA spending is we have oversight of it through congressional budgets.

Our money going to these fly by night tech barons has no over sight. And further is not paid back in any form.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying but don't you want less government oversight? And we do get paid back by providing Americans with high-paying manufacturing jobs and the creation of intellectual property (in the case of SpaceX -- cutting edge rocket design) that the rest of the world wants. SpaceX has significantly cut the cost of putting satellites into orbit so can undercut companies in other countries. That means more jobs and income (which is taxed) from companies and countries wanting to launch satellites. SpaceX is also going to deliver astronauts to the ISS which means we wont have to pay the Russians for that anymore.

Federal grants to help high-risk ventures is a tried and tested strategy - Federal grants helped pay for the creation of the internet, microchips, vaccines, TVs, GPS, even tires.

I have to admire musk for going broke trying to save the planet
I agree although I don't think he's broke quite yet -- And I think it's admirable for someone to work so hard for something other than personal fortune.

Mike

Staff member
I think you might be overestimating your personal stake in Tesla, SolarCity, and SpaceX as much of the public funding comes in the form of tax relief
I think you might be overestimating your understanding of paying taxes.

If one person is getting a tax break, somebody else is making up for it.

Not only that, money being dumped into these programs further bloats our national debt.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I think you might be overestimating your understanding of paying taxes.

If one person is getting a tax break, somebody else is making up for it.

Not only that, money being dumped into these programs further bloats our national debt.
OTOH, there is a place in government for both funding and promoting research and development. The reason we have the machines that allow us to take part in this conversation is the culmination of government R&D efforts that started in the 1950s. This is just one of many examples of the benefits of government sponsored research - that has paid back the public investment many times over.