Trucking News: Tesla Semi

What do you think about the Tesla Semi?

• I believe it when I see it. Then I might consider getting one.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm considering ordering one now.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Would not fit my requirements.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I'm used to the old style of trucking.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I prefer spending my money on oil.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

dchawk81

Even then I would run the numbers and see what the difference is between the loss of revenue for one run and the overall savings of slowing down the operation. Back when fuel got expensive quite a few loggers where I was living figured out they could make more money by slowing down and making one less run.

Basically depends on how many rounds in a day you are doing, and how much money is lost on one round.
I'll be working the numbers to find that balance as well when I go on my own.

Efficiency and pulling power of an individual truck will also be a factor.

Right now I have guesstimates based on assumed averages.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Right now I have guesstimates based on assumed averages.
That's all you can do going in, but remember, those averages become numerical assumptions that should be put into your business plan. As you get real numbers once you start, those assumptions should be revisited to check on their validity.

90% of guys going into a trucking business can't even say they've done as much as you have.

dchawk81

That's all you can do going in, but remember, those averages become numerical assumptions that should be put into your business plan. As you get real numbers once you start, those assumptions should be revisited to check on their validity.

90% of guys going into a trucking business can't even say they've done as much as you have.
Yeah that's what I've been crunching on for now.

Fortunately since I'm already doing intermodal and JB Hunt goes to a lot of the same places, I can get a fairly reasonable idea of timelines and load volume.

One thing I don't know is how bad the traffic aka delays get at their main railyard in Harrisburg. I know it's busy but whether it's Chicago busy or what...I'm not certain.

My railyard is small and extremely quiet when I go in. Very seldom is anyone in front me at the gate when I roll up. It's no worse than fueling really. Faster for now since few of us are using Xgate. That means crazy efficient productivity. Easy in, easy park, easy hook, easy out. Usually 15 minutes gate to gate.

And I just got a raise, which translates to about $2k more a year. So if I stay all of next year, I'll probably gross about 84k on that W2. So there's that.

Oh and supposedly there are new trucks coming down the pipeline, which potentially means getting rid of mine...and that's my primary contention with this gig.

Soooo maybe it'll all be moot here soon.

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Yeah that's what I've been crunching on for now.

Fortunately since I'm already doing intermodal and JB Hunt goes to a lot of the same places, I can get a fairly reasonable idea of timelines and load volume.

One thing I don't know is how bad the traffic aka delays get at their main railyard in Harrisburg. I know it's busy but whether it's Chicago busy or what...I'm not certain.

My railyard is small and extremely quiet when I go in. Very seldom is anyone in front me at the gate when I roll up. It's no worse than fueling really. Faster for now since few of us are using Xgate. That means crazy efficient productivity. Easy in, easy park, easy hook, easy out. Usually 15 minutes gate to gate.

And I just got a raise, which translates to about $2k more a year. So if I stay all of next year, I'll probably gross about 84k on that W2. So there's that.

Oh and supposedly there are new trucks coming down the pipeline, which potentially means getting rid of mine...and that's my primary contention with this gig.

Soooo maybe it'll all be moot here soon.
As an independent, understand that you can't poach your former employer's customers..

dchawk81

As an independent, understand that you can't poach your former employer's customers..
That's not even relevant here.

But aside from a limited time non-compete agreement, it's not true.

dchawk81

Because Schneider and JB totally say "oh my bad that's y'alls customer we'll back off sorry sorry."

😂

krelithous

Supporter

:eek: one of those science projects rolling down the road:biglaugh:. they can't even build a model 3 how in the hell are they going to build a semi:confused-96::coocoo:. there's already other manufactures out there that plan on bankrupting tesla this should get good:eek:. ferrari is one of the i can't even imagine what enzo is thinking right now about getting rid of that v-12:eek: then you have porsche wich will be making an electric that's fun to drive around curves and not just in a strait line and theres another one i can't think of the name. then you have thor trucks who wants to give tesla the middle finger:tongue::biggrin-2:

Last edited:
Thread starter #149
Look, krelithous, no one's saying Tesla will succeed. Or that they are the best.
They're just another company. Trying to make something of value like everyone else.

And I actually think it's great that they are trying something else for a change. Even if they don't succeed.

Because without that spirit of trying something new, very little of value would ever have come into existence.

So I prefer rooting for the spirit of creation, that exists in companies that try new things, rather than rooting for the products of that very same spirit of creation, that are already in existence. Like the Diesel engine.

Because our world wouldn't be what it is without people in the past having tried to improve it.

So in a way, hating on Musk and his engineers is like hating on Diesel and his engineers.
They're all just trying to get new things done. They're all just creators within the same framework of natural laws, but with different levels of technological development and understanding of those laws to build upon.

Do you think the first Diesel trucks were that great? I doubt it.

Silverwolf

Look, krelithous, no one's saying Tesla will succeed. Or that they are the best.
They're just another company. Trying to make something of value like everyone else.

And I actually think it's great that they are trying something else for a change. Even if they don't succeed.

Because without that spirit of trying something new, very little of value would ever have come into existence.

So I prefer rooting for the spirit of creation, that exists in companies that try new things, rather than rooting for the products of that very same spirit of creation, that are already in existence. Like the Diesel engine.

Because our world wouldn't be what it is without people in the past having tried to improve it.

So in a way, hating on Musk and his engineers is like hating on Diesel and his engineers.
They're all just trying to get new things done. They're all just creators within the same framework of natural laws, but with different levels of technological development and understanding of those laws to build upon.

Do you think the first Diesel trucks were that great? I doubt it.
I agree. The ones against tesla are the ones afraid for there jobs. Cars already drive themselves, trucks aren't far behind, and have already been tested. Here in Vancouver they are already replacing all the garbage trucks with electric trucks. Once we figure out how to make the batteries last longer, its all over for diesels, gas, and eventually drivers.

InTooDeep

I was heading up I80 Donner the other day and I saw a Tesla truck rolling down. It was painted flat black guess they trying be all incognito. Like you could miss it what with the driver sitting in the middle and it being fugly as all git out. Also the passenger seat was behind and to the right of driver strange setup indeed.

krelithous

Supporter
a36f8e81e5b28aba155c2be5e1d9ba28.jpg

a model 3 in a roll over crash sure that makes me want to run out and buy on. how many accidents have these things had and how many caught on fire:confused-96: