Team driving new driver

Abnewtruck

So question if you have only had your cdl for 90 days, clean record, you been hauling butt, they mention to you for team driving they would offer you 5 cpm more, and you make 37 cpm now, would you take it? Is that a good deal? Keep in mind new no experience before...with dbl’s is there wiggle room? Yes or no?

InTooDeep

Me personally I couldn't sleep well when I was with my trainer. He had 10 years of driving exp so with 90 days exp no way I'd team.

GAnthony

Supporter
So question if you have only had your cdl for 90 days, clean record, you been hauling butt, they mention to you for team driving they would offer you 5 cpm more, and you make 37 cpm now, would you take it? Is that a good deal? Keep in mind new no experience before...with dbl’s is there wiggle room? Yes or no?
i'd not team. your co driver will drive like his pants are on fire, to make up for any lost time, or just to get to the next switch over, and you will be bouncy-bouncy in the bunk....

go on your own,,,

Dauntless

I would stay solo. I don't think they are offering you 37 CPM. The 37 cents per mile is split between both drivers.

dchawk81

I would stay solo. I don't think they are offering you 37 CPM. The 37 cents per mile is split between both drivers.
They would each get half of 42cpm for every mile run regardless of who ran it.

It's an unfair system for a productive driver and a sweet gig for someone lazy.

dchawk81

Pay isn't my deal breaker though. It's the living space/lack thereof/makeshift water bottle bidets.

Trucks are really only designed for one driver or two related ones who can get extremely personal with the space.

Living with someone I barely know in less than a prison cell? No thanks.

krelithous

Supporter
NOPE no way in hell would i team. imagine it the radio going full blast the cb blasting while your partner is running over every pot hole in site:stare1:o_O and that's just the beginning. all while your trying to do your 10

Abnewtruck

They said 5cpm more, nothing about splitting, but I’m like if they can do that with someone why can’t you do the 5 cents now while solo..

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
You might want to team to gain some knowledge from a more experienced driver but, if you have been doing fine all on your own I would not recommend team. It is a very difficult lifestyle.

Also unless they set you two up on a run that is a perfect fit for a team you are not going to earn much more than you would running solo. At least with solo you are stopped when you are sleeping and even that can be difficult when parked next to an obnoxious reefer.

dchawk81

They said 5cpm more, nothing about splitting, but I’m like if they can do that with someone why can’t you do the 5 cents now while solo..
Split is pretty standard/normal since it's easier to calculate.

Could be separate though.

Trucks are really only designed for one driver or two related ones who can get extremely personal with the space.

Living with someone I barely know in less than a prison cell? No thanks.
This is why only my wife rides with me and when she gets her CDL she will be my co-driver.

The biggest question is how well do you know the team partner, and how close do you live to each other, and who is considered first seat/ second seat? If you know the person well, and you live close; the benefit is a never ending log, and a spotter for each other. Be certain you get along well first because you will basically be living together in close quarters.