T680 woes

THBatMan8

Thread starter #1
So i finally forked over some money and got a decent chatter box. A peaked and tuned connex general lee.

The problem i have is the small cavity for the cb. Its barely big enough for a cobra 29, so the only way to install it i saw was to mount it. My problem is that i hate exposed wires.

Anyone else have a better setup with a similar cavity size?

20180714_173145.jpg

dchawk81

You sure that plastic bezel isn't removable?

THBatMan8

Thread starter #3
You sure that plastic bezel isn't removable?
Yes. Thats the only way to hook a cb into that truck. Its actually a tray. But like i said, the general is too big for the hole.

Okay, maybe that wording could be taken out of context. Lol

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Considering the general condition of the condition, ain't no one listenin' no mo no how anyway. Yer probably on!y steppin' on yerself.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
If you own the truck, cut the plastic and make it fit. I had to do that for custom gauges and radios when I worked at Freightliner.

GAnthony

Supporter
So i finally forked over some money and got a decent chatter box. A peaked and tuned connex general lee.

The problem i have is the small cavity for the cb. Its barely big enough for a cobra 29, so the only way to install it i saw was to mount it. My problem is that i hate exposed wires.

Anyone else have a better setup with a similar cavity size?

View attachment 45623
if you have Dremel tool, grind down both sides slightly. looks like you ain't got much to remove.

if no Dremel tool, file it down, with like a rasp file, it'll cut (file) faster

THBatMan8

Thread starter #9
If you own the truck, cut the plastic and make it fit. I had to do that for custom gauges and radios when I worked at Freightliner.
Its a company truck, but my boss wont care that i do a little 'customizing' to it. In fact theyve been encouraging me to turn wrenches on that truck more often since i started school to be a diesel mechanic.

Ill try cutting the tray. Thanks. Worse comes to worse ill just order a new one from Kenworth.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
if you have Dremel tool, grind down both sides slightly. looks like you ain't got much to remove
A sawsall is more fun!

:cool-61:

You may have to whip up a new mount bracket too.

oldhippietommy

general lee is a good radio,I used to have one and I loved it.

Ironpony,I still got my cb,so at least there`s 2 of us out there
breaker 19

I would try to cut the hole out and stuff it in there

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter

breaker 19

That a 10-4 big guy. Its real quiet most of the time, so I figure most folks don't have their ears on these days.

THBatMan8

Thread starter #15

breaker 19

General Lee has been a damn good radio so far. Its got really good ears, especially when you pair it with two stainless steel whips like i did.

I do alot of construction work, so a cb is mandatory in a lot of places i go. Especially quarries.