• This forum is for drivers/carriers to discuss and review freight brokers. This is not a forum for brokers to promote their business or ask for advice on how to start a freight brokering or dispatching business.

Submiting carrier packs

warm

I have been an O/O working as a contracted to driver for the past four years. The companies work load slowed way down so I am now going out on my own as a independent driver using my own authority which I've had for several years.

When calling for work off the load boards all the brokers have requested that I fill out their carrier packs for approval first. The question I have is, is there an online service (maybe as part of the load board site) in which I can fill out a standard C.P. that can be sent to the broker? As it is I've spent this past week filling out basically the same form over and over instead of getting work and driving.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
there is a couple that do it as a clearing house, but unless the broker is setup for it, it won't matter.

Myself, I have a generic "packet" that is a PDF document. Basically, I created an information sheet, took my W9 and all the other forms that were always sent and scanned them into ONE PDF file.

And I email that to the broker.

But I almost always end up filling out their packet too.

warm

Thanks for your quick reply. I too set up a generic PDF packet but as you said they still need theirs filled out. A common clearing house makes a lot more sense especially when you're on the road, not at home in front of a computor looking for a load.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I have a computer, scanner and jet pack in the truck.

I recently got a tablet for doing eld and it's also a hotspot so my computer s days are numbered once I get my accounting figured out.

Has anyone worked with OTT Group out of WA?

I got a load from them before signing a contract and when I read the contract there was no way I was signing it as it was. It basically said that I don't get paid until/unless they get paid. It read as an angry child wrote it.
When I amended the contract and sent it in the owner Alena Ofuasia was indignant an said that she has never had anyone change a contract.

How many of you actually read the contracts in the Carrier Packages from Brokers?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Has anyone worked with OTT Group out of WA?

I got a load from them before signing a contract and when I read the contract there was no way I was signing it as it was. It basically said that I don't get paid until/unless they get paid. It read as an angry child wrote it.
When I amended the contract and sent it in the owner Alena Ofuasia was indignant an said that she has never had anyone change a contract.

How many of you actually read the contracts in the Carrier Packages from Brokers?
We read and review all contracts. We only accept contracts submitted in PDF format, and never deal with outfits that want an electronic document "clicked" on. All language that requires surrendering our rights under the Carmac Act, requires us to jump through hoops at our expense over rejected product, plays games with the money, etc, are redlined out of the contract. If they don't like it, then we wouldn't have wanted to do business with their shady asses anyway.

Imagine if you'd gotten into a hassle with the "angry child" - better to pass up an opportunity that could go bad, than to rue your decision to go forward.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
What would we do that?

Contrary to what most packets say, you cannot legally just sign away your rights and protection under the law. Much as some of these packets claim you'd do. Take the most offensive one you've received and then go sit down with a corporate law lawyer and have him explain it.

What I personally look for is how do they comply with federal statutes on billing and payment.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
What would we do that?

Contrary to what most packets say, you cannot legally just sign away your rights and protection under the law. Much as some of these packets claim you'd do. Take the most offensive one you've received and then go sit down with a corporate law lawyer and have him explain it.

What I personally look for is how do they comply with federal statutes on billing and payment.

Daves time if you line out that you have no rights BS along with the rest, instead of having to fight over it later. If they object early on, you get a good idea of how they're going to play the game.

Thanks for the feedback. I will not be doing further business with them and since there is nothing signed but the RC I am pretty sure that I will be able to collect.
What kills me is that this woman acted as if no one had ever questioned this contract before. I don't see how they got anyone that actually read it to sign it.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Thanks for the feedback. I will not be doing further business with them and since there is nothing signed but the RC I am pretty sure that I will be able to collect.
What kills me is that this woman acted as if no one had ever questioned this contract before. I don't see how they got anyone that actually read it to sign it.
Many new entries have trouble getting folks to work with them... they accept whatever is thrown at them, no matter how onerous the terms are to get the work.