Strange Drive Tire Wear

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I don't know if it shows up in the pic for y'all to see it but on my passenger rear outer drive tire and only that tire there's a kind of cupping going around the entire tread like a ring. Basically the shoulders opposite the innermost sipe (relative to the truck) are wearing down.

IMG_20190917_102921.jpg

IMG_20190917_102855.jpg

Any idea on cause?

r3gulator3

Eurotruck race enthusiast
Supporter
I called with this information and still got "well they aren't leaking so we don't replace them. And bad shocks shouldn't affect your handling."

I'm quitting as soon as my 401k vests if not sooner.
A shock can never leak and the Inturnal seals that make the fluid pass with resistance fail. Then it just free bounces. While true, a drive shock that’s bad won’t have much effect on your handling, it does create wear on tires and suspension components. Which in the long run cost you more than a $60 shock.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I think they're all bad or nearly so because it's so tossy. My manager said they might just decide to replace tires early. I said that's fine but it won't solve anything.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
seriously buddy, get an old fashion oil can (pump handle) fill it with some sort of hydraulic fluid (not ATF), and squirt it up into the shocks..i'd do that in pairs.....cuz just one, they may only replace that one.....

1568737504876.png

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
They're fighting me on even checking the damned things let alone replacing them. This place has me grey and exhausted. Tired of the fight.
we are damned if we do (the pre/post trips) we are damned if we don't..

i say, let the god damned things fall off, let them replace the tires, let them sell the truck to the Chicago white Mafia, and slap a volvo name plate on it, screw'em....

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
I called with this information and still got "well they aren't leaking so we don't replace them. And bad shocks shouldn't affect your handling."

I'm quitting as soon as my 401k vests if not sooner.
how many more years is that..??

one place i worked at, it was vested at the 5 year point.

and which shoulder...??

are you able to pull the 5th wheel lock?

looking for an automatic job??

or looking to retire to something else??

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
For sure bad shocks? Because I've been trying to tell them it needs a new set for months.
I got that same kind of tire wear. All they do is change the tires and we go through a set of 8 new caps in about 6 months.
It looks like they don't Even care any more on extending tire life, when they put a new cap on the outside drive of the 7 other very worn tires.
Hell, I just drive it, tired of trying to help the company.
Hey, we need new tires! send a tire guy and 8 more recaps. :clapping:

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
I got that same kind of tire wear. All they do is change the tires and we go through a set of 8 new caps in about 6 months.
It looks like they don't Even care any more on extending tire life, when they put a new cap on the outside drive of the 7 other very worn tires.
Hell, I just drive it, tired of trying to help the company.
Hey, we need new tires! send a tire guy and 8 more recaps. :clapping:
you know, i have seen this before......not replacing some parts, until they actually break.

it's called "reining the costs"

Schneider is NOT a small company by any means, but the costs to replace some parts at a set mileage or age, is very costly, over replacing them as they actually break.

don't know about your company RJ, but seriously, i have seen this before, and "some times" for smaller companies, it DOES spell a bleak future of that company.

and what's sad about that, if the equipment looks like crap at out of business auctions, they are gonna get crap bids.

they just may send all that stuff to south america, where it'll be worth 10 times more broken down, down there than it ever will be up your way.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I count down the time. They haven't even replaced the tires. Same tires, same shocks, same **** handling.

Started running extra heavy on the drives lately though and it helps a little. Recent paper load I put 32,700 on the drives and 31000 on the trailer. Having it even makes for a sh*t ride and having it drives-light is a see-saw.

r3gulator3

Eurotruck race enthusiast
Supporter
I might be a little cantankerous, but I wouldn’t put up with **** like that. I’d have saftey on the phone.