Truck Repair Steering Shimmy 35-45mph (Video)

dchawk81

My Cascadia has a shimmy in the wheel from about 35-45mph. It's at all speeds really, but that's where it's worse. I made a short video. Excuse my loud voice. I wasn't sure how well the audio would be picked up since it was just my phone.

Any thoughts on the cause? Our local yard mechanics don't know what it is. They replaced the drag link and checked the bearings and such. They said everything seems good that they have the ability to tell. It's at our main OC now for an oil change cycle PM. If they actually relayed my message they should be checking it out up there but in the meantime I figured I'd ask here and call them up with any thoughts you all might have.

Our techs also claim to have replaced both steer tires but it was one then another. Not at the same time. They also would not have reused the Alcoa wheels because they swap entire assemblies down here.

Thanks in advance!

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Unbalanced tires, and a bad alignment.

InTooDeep

That is how my Cascadia was before I had tires balanced changed the shocks and complete alignment. After that it was smooth as butter.

dchawk81

Alignment wise, is it rear axles pushing it in this case or is the front by itself out of whack?

Last edited:

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Alignment wise, is it rear axles pushing it in this case or is the front by itself out of whack?
Most likely both, especially given the environment your truck is ran in.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Better question is does it even matter?

I mean are the self righteous megafleet mechanics going to listen to a lowly megafleet driver?

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
Better question is does it even matter?

I mean are the self righteous megafleet mechanics going to listen to a lowly megafleet driver?
Operating out of a single terminal every single day SHOULD build some sort of relationship.

In someone like Mike Mike case where you bounced around all the time things might be quite different.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Most likely both, especially given the environment your truck is ran in.
D dchawk81 - rub your hand in and out across the tread of both steer tires. If it's smooth, it's not an alignment issue. If it feels rough in one direction (in or out) - that's called "feathering" - then you have an alignment issue.

I'm betting you don't. The vibration you're describing is usually an unbalanced tire, although a loose wheel bearing in one or the other side of the steer axle can do it too. I had a Centramatic wheel balancer die and cause that one time too.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
D dchawk81 - rub your hand in and out across the tread of both steer tires. If it's smooth, it's not an alignment issue. If it feels rough in one direction (in or out) - that's called "feathering" - then you have an alignment issue.

I'm betting you don't. The vibration you're describing is usually an unbalanced tire, although a loose wheel bearing in one or the other side of the steer axle can do it too. I had a Centramatic wheel balancer die and cause that one time too.
Dude you don’t see him sawing on the wheel in the video? If your truck pulls that bad, you got an alignment problem.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Dude you don’t see him sawing on the wheel in the video? If your truck pulls that bad, you got an alignment problem.
Check the friggin' tires. That dead Centramatic had me doing the same thing. If there's an alignment issue, there will be feathering.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I'd lay money on someone did some bearing work and failed to torque the bearings correctly or you've got a bearing ready to fail.

tommyh

dchawk,you do look a little like leonhard hofstetter
when you ain`t shaking too bad

dchawk81

It does have an alignment issue but the shaking in the wheel predates that. It used to be shaky yet straight as an arrow.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
It does have an alignment issue but the shaking in the wheel predates that. It used to be shaky yet straight as an arrow.
You went and slid your hand on the steer tires yet?

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm, you don’t say, that alignment issue is probably causing uneven wear, and that could be where the unbalance comes from or if you have centrimatics one has gone wonky.

dchawk81

Hmmm, you don’t say, that alignment issue is probably causing uneven wear, and that could be where the unbalance comes from or if you have centrimatics one has gone wonky.
I borrowed this truck over a year ago and it was shaking then. It was assigned to me several months ago and it still shook. It's been through several sets of steers unless they keep lying to me and didn't really change them. The shaking never changed.

I would have thought at some point it would have stopped shaking if it was a tire balance issue. They possibly couldn't all be bad.

Like I said it was shaking even when the alignment was good.

You might be onto something with the bearings but I don't recall in cars ever having a bad bearing that smoothed out more at highway speed. It was always worse the faster you went.

dchawk81

Sorry about the back and forth, I'm just trying to talk through it and get it figured out.

tommyh

I was going to say a tire out of round or a broke belt in it
maybe they didn`t change them?

Latest posts