Owner Operator Stayed leased on or get own authority?

49players

I am currently leased onto a company getting 75% using his trailers and authority. He has good customer freight and a lot of times preloaded trailers. I've grossed a little over 100,000 this year but wonder if I can make more on my own. I am still fairly new to this as I have been leased to 2 different people for going on 3 years now. I typically run 2500 to 3000 miles a week and freight seems to be easy to find in my area, midwest. It just seems that paying someone $1000-$1500 a week to dispatch and allow me use their trailers seems like a lot of wasted money.

vaportrail

Cant really help ya but to put into perspective the company i work for charges 3k/month for the trailer alone... whats there % if you own the trailer?

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
I am currently leased onto a company getting 75% using his trailers and authority. He has good customer freight and a lot of times preloaded trailers. I've grossed a little over 100,000 this year but wonder if I can make more on my own. I am still fairly new to this as I have been leased to 2 different people for going on 3 years now. I typically run 2500 to 3000 miles a week and freight seems to be easy to find in my area, midwest. It just seems that paying someone $1000-$1500 a week to dispatch and allow me use their trailers seems like a lot of wasted money.
yeah, but they are doing all the work that you don;t have to. i suppose they also take out for taxes, IFTA and anything else. once you go on your own, those costs will be on you and maybe then you will see that you are getting a good deal now.

49players

I take care of my quarterly estimates but they take care of IFTA, 2290 if I want them to, and put plates on the truck but I pay for them. I am just curious if its worth the hassle of going on my own or is this good money being leased? I love the people in the office and they darn sure take care of me.

Mike

Staff member
I take care of my quarterly estimates but they take care of IFTA, 2290 if I want them to, and put plates on the truck but I pay for them. I am just curious if its worth the hassle of going on my own or is this good money being leased? I love the people in the office and they darn sure take care of me.
Who is paying for cargo and liability insurance?

Either way, you want to get a quote on that before doing anything else.

Mike

Staff member
I pay the insurance on my tractor and cargo is through his policy, costs my $185 a week.
You are paying $185/week for cargo through the company you are leased to? If so, compare that to what you can get quoted. Depending on experience, driving record, and where you live, you may be able to get your own coverage at a slightly higher cost. Insurance will be one of your biggest factors in this decision.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Based on everything you've said here, I'd stay right where you're at

nan

Supporter
Is it 100k to the truck or 100k you can pay yourself as an individual human's salary to buy personal things like a house and vehicles and Ski doos?

I'm not an O/O but that sounds low if it's to the truck. Ie fuel, insurance, tags, repairs, taxes, and everything else has to come out of that yet before getting to your personal income.

I mean ultimately to me it's not about gross per se it's about what you get to keep at the end of it.

Mike

Staff member
Not sure thats an option. We do a lot of drop and hooks so I would lose that.
Drop and hook is really overrated, at least for me in the dryvan world. Usually, I can get loaded or unloaded in close to the same time as an average drop and hook, without the hassle of cleaning up other peoples dirty trailers, having to fix broken things on others trailers, and riding around searching for trailers.

nan

Supporter
Drop and hook is really overrated, at least for me in the dryvan world. Usually, I can get loaded or unloaded in close to the same time as an average drop and hook, without the hassle of cleaning up other peoples dirty trailers, having to fix broken things on others trailers, and riding around searching for trailers.
You load/unload an average half hour or less?

Mike

Staff member
You load/unload an average half hour or less?
On average, a little more I would guess. I get the occasional load where I will sit for an extended time, but I’m getting paid. Quite often, I’m gone 15-20 minutes after I bump a dock.

With Schneider, especially in the Fall, seems like every other drop there is no empty, and you end up driving all over town trying to find one. Sometimes, even losing a load due to not having an empty in the area. 30 minute trailer drop becomes a 3 hour adventure.

I try to keep my dock time down by being selective about my loads.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Live loading as your own carrier, it's your benefit to have your own trailer.

It gives you time to do paperwork and submit invoicing from the previous load once you figure out work flow etc. So being on the dock isn't a bad thing in that instance.

As well as letting me you hit load boards for your next load and get a 2 hour split in.

Shop around for different companies. Plenty of lease on carriers. I pay 12%. 25% is too high even if they pay for everything. And most companies charging that much should pay for plates, trailer, Elogs, Qualcomm, trippacks, bobtail, ifta’s. I pay trailer rental of 180 a week, but I have a brand new dry box. Decent percentage is around 10% with some companies paying for plates but deduct from settlements. And there are trailers you can rent for 350 a month “dry van” but on average you will find 600-800-1000 depending on condition and year.

49players

I pay for my own plates, insurance, Qualcomm, transflow, 2290, tolls, prepass and get 75% of gross. I typically do a customer freight, customer freight then a broker load to get back. I have grossed $100,000 definitely not cleared. Maintenance is a *****. It just seems I'm paying 1000-1500 for dispatch and to borrow a trailer.

Mike

Staff member
I pay for my own plates, insurance, Qualcomm, transflow, 2290, tolls, prepass and get 75% of gross. I typically do a customer freight, customer freight then a broker load to get back. I have grossed $100,000 definitely not cleared. Maintenance is a *****. It just seems I'm paying 1000-1500 for dispatch and to borrow a trailer.
Like I said, insurance will be your biggest factor. Get a quote, then figure your numbers.

Also, look at your average rate per mile since you are pulling customer freight much of the time. If the customer freight is paying really well, might be better off staying where you are at. If not, this is another number you need to know in order to compare to average spot market rates.