Motor Carrier States that will tax you for picking up or delivering in their state. What situations have you seen?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Being skeptical of something is not knowing everything.

since I came back out in 2012, I have been hearing rumblings of this rumor ever since. I can remember grumblings of this in the truck stop back in the 90s

Yet nobody can provide a link to anything for a New Jersey government page that has information on this.

Kind of like the. Rule that requires us to have white sheets

Oxbow

Ignored
Supporter
It’s 100% real. Everybody doesn’t know everybody it ever happened to til it happens to them or someone they know. The inspection Station on 295 coming up out of Delaware is known for being big on that particular catch.

Well, I run as legal as it makes sense to.

I wasn't meaning anything by the comment! Just wondering if you had heard anything about it before.

Ruthless

Seats taken
Supporter
Being skeptical of something is not knowing everything.

since I came back out in 2012, I have been hearing rumblings of this rumor ever since. I can remember grumblings of this in the truck stop back in the 90s

Yet nobody can provide a link to anything for a New Jersey government page that has information on this.

Kind of like the. Rule that requires us to have white sheets

I mean, I’m gonna tell them I don’t know and this is my first time I’ve ever been in New Jersey in my life when they pull me in.
Ymmv

I think in the day and age of the Internet, claiming ignorance of a law you have heard of if even through rumors: end of the day you’ll be paying the fine and they’ll assume you were being willfully ignorant of any other taxes so will therefore penalize to the extent they can.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter

I mean, I’m gonna tell them I don’t know and this is my first time I’ve ever been in New Jersey in my life when they pull me in.
Ymmv

I think in the day and age of the Internet, claiming ignorance of a law you have heard of if even through rumors: end of the day you’ll be paying the fine and they’ll assume you were being willfully ignorant of any other taxes so will therefore penalize to the extent they can.

and having searched for that since 2012, I have yet to find a statute to connect to it.

All I get are, "my buddies cousin work for this company that had this guy come from over there and had this happen to him at a port."

I find the information for New York, Kentucky, Texas, New Mexico and Oregon. I can even find the silly regulations for Florida.

But I haven't been able to find anything related to this for New Jersey.

Humble pie

Living like a refugee
Supporter
I didn’t read all the reply’s, but NJ has tried in the past to charge taxes on revenue made by picking up or delivering in the state. I know ooida sued and I’m about 90% sure they won and the state was supposed to stop. At this point all he can do is pay the money and take it to court.

Last edited:

Ruthless

Seats taken
Supporter
I didn’t read all the reply’s, but NJ has tried in the past to charge taxes on revenue made by picking up or delivering in the state. I know ooida sued and I’m about 90% sure they won and the state was supposed to stop. At this point all he can do is pay the money and take it to court.

Yea, unfortunately when you’re on the side of the road: the man with the gun n badge makes the law whether there’s one or not.

Humble pie

Living like a refugee
Supporter
Yea, unfortunately when you’re on the side of the road: the man with the gun n badge makes the law whether there’s one or not.
The guy with the gun and the badge doesn’t have the authority to make the call. All he knows is the computer says you owe and it’s his job to collect or impound. He’s probably more in the dark than you are.