Traffic Report: St Louis I255 WB Bridge Closure

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The westbound span of the Jefferson Barracks Bridge that carries I255 WB over the Mississippi River is closed until at least Friday, 5/17. An engineering inspection found cracks, making the bridge unsafe for use. Eastbound traffic is unaffected.

Detours...

ClusterF*** no.1: Continue on I55/I70 in Illinois past exit 3B following I55 SB detour signs. North side of the split is closed for bridge replacement. 1 lane on the south side of the split is open. Plan on spending all day in traffic. Provides the familiar connection to I44 west, I55 south and I64 west. This also works for I64 westbound from Mt Vernon IL.

ClusterF*** no. 2: Continue on I55/I70, take exit 3B over the I70 bridge westbound. Bad option no. 1: Take I70 through the city to I270 south for connection to I44 west, or I55 south. Bad option no. 2: After crossing the bridge, continue westbound to the Grand Ave exit, x247. Exit the highway, cross I70, take I70 eastbound, following signs for I44. Connects with I55 south, I64 east/west, and continues as I44 west. Liable to be backed up because the locals use it.

ClusterF*** no. 3. Bite the bullet route. Take I270 from I55 or I70 westbound around the whole effin' city to get to I44 west or I55 south. Longest and probably fastest route.

Emergency Bridge Closure

Last edited:

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
Can you imagine the flustercluck it's going to be when they eventually have to close those bridges on I-80 in Joliet? 🙄

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Can you imagine the flustercluck it's going to be when they eventually have to close those bridges on I-80 in Joliet? 🙄
I tell ya, I hold my breath every time I get stuck in a traffic back up on that bridge. That sucker flexes a lot when your stopped on it.