Truck Repair Soldering how to?

phoenix827

My question is how do you solder the wires without making it look like a bird crapped on it?
Heat the wire, not the solder. Once the wire is hot enough to melt the solder it will flow just fine. Nice smooth shiny connection.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Heat the wire, not the solder. Once the wire is hot enough to melt the solder it will flow just fine. Nice smooth shiny connection.
A dab of melted solder on the tip of the iron will show when the joint has reached the proper temperature when it flows from the iron onto the joint.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
You'll be doing it by spring again otherwise

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

Also, Trucklite makes a harness with them every 4” apart. I haven’t looked to see if Grote makes similar. The string I got from Traction was every 12”, from Grote. I would’ve preferred every 4”

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
actually if I am using a gun instead of an iron I like a flat tip on a weller that is about an 1/8 wide it will hold enough solder that when you put it too the wire it has enough solder to fill the wires when it gets the wire hot enough it really makes for a good looking job

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You can get them in 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12” centers.
Traction was wrong though, they do not have a pigtail that’s female to plug into the harness

I wish they all came like the bottom one, except the bottom one the center part doesn’t fit the hole that’s there now. The top one fits with a little modification but then you have to make a harness.

I should revisit this idea and see how much work it takes to mount the bottom ones. The incandescent lights need to go ASAP

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
actually if I am using a gun instead of an iron I like a flat tip on a weller that is about an 1/8 wide it will hold enough solder that when you put it too the wire it has enough solder to fill the wires when it gets the wire hot enough it really makes for a good looking job

It came with two other tips

I got a random bunch of tools in the summer it was a surprise to see I owned this

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Flat tips are fine for bulk wiring jobs. The smaller pointed tips are better for smaller, more precise work like electronics.

Hillbilly Canuck

Flat tips are fine for bulk wiring jobs. The smaller pointed tips are better for smaller, more precise work like electronics.
Tip shmip... bigger the glob the better the job!

Traction was wrong though, they do not have a pigtail that’s female to plug into the harness

View attachment 47751
I wish they all came like the bottom one, except the bottom one the center part doesn’t fit the hole that’s there now. The top one fits with a little modification but then you have to make a harness.

I should revisit this idea and see how much work it takes to mount the bottom ones. The incandescent lights need to go ASAP
Traction has always been right on. I've had guys there be able to conjure up stuff they'd never even heard of just from a description or a picture numerous times.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Traction has always been right on. I've had guys there be able to conjure up stuff they'd never even heard of just from a description or a picture numerous times.
I like dealing with Traction. Good group of guys and great customer service. They stock a lot of inventory, and will work with you on pricing. Verduyn in Hamilton had 3” straps on sale for $15 each, Traction price matched no questions asked

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I like dealing with Traction. Good group of guys and great customer service. They stock a lot of inventory, and will work with you on pricing. Verduyn in Hamilton had 3” straps on sale for $15 each, Traction price matched no questions asked
We do a lot of deliveries to Traction and they are good to deal with on the shipping/receiving end too. Total pros.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

I picked up these little flush cut Channellocks. They are perfect for wiring.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

I want to redo my skirts, get rid of the remaining incandescent lights and be all LED. I’m on the fence on whether to redo the mounting panels or reuse what I have

THEN I thought about making up a large 90 degree panel. I could do a strip of 8 lights facing out PLUS a strip of 8 shining DOWN on my tanks.

Maybe purple for an evil glow, for the ones shining down?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
View attachment 47847
I want to redo my skirts, get rid of the remaining incandescent lights and be all LED. I’m on the fence on whether to redo the mounting panels or reuse what I have

THEN I thought about making up a large 90 degree panel. I could do a strip of 8 lights facing out PLUS a strip of 8 shining DOWN on my tanks.

Maybe purple for an evil glow, for the ones shining down?
I think black lights shining down be best, do they make them?