Truck Repair Soldering how to?

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
“Go across the scale” :confused-96:

I’m not sure what you mean by that :coocoo:

I’d have to think about how to make a new, fused, switched circuit for chicken lights. I run a grote 44710 flasher, and most of my chicken lights are LED or being switched for LEDs.

But you’re right, running over 100 lights on one circuit whether LED or incandescent is a lot for one circuit
When they inspect your lights on a scale you do not have to switch on your chicken lights. Just the markers head tail brake and turn. If your getting a level one they can request you to turn them on to verify function because if the lamp is mounted it must be able to work. But if you have em off rolling thru they won’t see the one you have burnt out.

Also a dim light is not a ticketable offense it just has to work, there is no law that says all 9 leds in the light must work, just the light must function.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
When they inspect your lights on a scale you do not have to switch on your chicken lights. Just the markers head tail brake and turn. If your getting a level one they can request you to turn them on to verify function because if the lamp is mounted it must be able to work. But if you have em off rolling thru they won’t see the one you have burnt out.

Also a dim light is not a ticketable offense it just has to work, there is no law that says all 9 leds in the light must work, just the light must function.
That still doesn’t address what I’m doing near an open scale to begin with :p

The Man and I have an agreement. Once a year I go visit them. We agreed the rest of the time it’s catch and release. :D

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
That still doesn’t address what I’m doing near an open scale to begin with :p

The Man and I have an agreement. Once a year I go visit them. We agreed the rest of the time it’s catch and release. :D
Oversized buddy, by your own admission. Go thru every one of em and will even park at them OD I believe we’re your words.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
Oversized buddy, by your own admission. Go thru every one of em and will even park at them OD I believe we’re your words.
So you pay attention I see :redface:

I found a way around the Ontario scales if I’m OD :biggrin-2:

It’s just the US now I follow the routing down to the letter of the law. The US Man never hassles me. Not yet anyway :cautious:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
It’s just the US now I follow the routing down to the letter of the law. The US Man never hassles me. Not yet anyway :cautious:
I am not even sure where you get this fear the scale thing from.:confused-96:
You got a hood right?
You got chicken lights right?
Not that it matters.

Just have a good clean looking truck crossing the scale and you should have no problem.
Look at the Chicago white Volvo mafia and Brampton **** they let pass their scale with no problem.
You are wasting your time and money live up to some outlaw ideal that died about a decade ago.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
I am not even sure where you get this fear the scale thing from.:confused-96:
You got a hood right?
You got chicken lights right?
Not that it matters.

Just have a good clean looking truck crossing the scale and you should have no problem.
Look at the Chicago white Volvo mafia and Brampton **** they let pass their scale with no problem.
You are wasting your time and money live up to some outlaw ideal that died about a decade ago.
I’d discuss it in PM but not in public

If it was actual enforcement of actual real blatant law breaking, so be it. I ran “legal” when I started trucking, which meant crossing scales and following weight laws.

The fact they pick and choose what and how and which laws they arbitrarily follow is a travesty.

When I ran legal I got tickets. When I run outlaw I don’t get tickets

Seems pretty simple to me.

Damn the Man

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter

I believe this was clarified a while back by CVSA, auxiliary lights are no longer required to be functional.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
That’s for a full spool, most truck shops sell it for like $2 /ft
I ordered in a roll, $125 I think. He said they have male or female chicken light wire available

He also said they sell a female equivalent pigtail. So what I’m wondering is if I solder the pigtail to the lights, then heatshrink and dielectric grease the **** out of everything. Gets rid of any 3 way connections and is easy to fix.

Solves both bunk cab and mudflap light issues

10 more lights going back on, and 14 new ones :yahoo:

Then I start on the 14 for the air filter cans :biggrin-2:

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
I believe this was clarified a while back by CVSA, auxiliary lights are no longer required to be functional.
Correct, but most shops want all lights working at safety time. Some are ignorant enough that if there’s a hole for the light they want the hole covered or the panel removed

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
I ordered in a roll, $125 I think. He said they have male or female chicken light wire available

He also said they sell a female equivalent pigtail. So what I’m wondering is if I solder the pigtail to the lights, then heatshrink and dielectric grease the **** out of everything. Gets rid of any 3 way connections and is easy to fix.

Solves both bunk cab and mudflap light issues

10 more lights going back on, and 14 new ones :yahoo:

Then I start on the 14 for the air filter cans :biggrin-2:
I would also use liquid electrical tape around the ends of your heat shrink if you really want a good seal:

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood

So you guys are saying before soldering that, to use flux (like in house plumbing)?

Then use the rosin core solder that I have.

Correct?

Duck

Quack
Supporter
3 way connections are fine if you repeatedly dunk them in liquid electrical tape until they're encapsulated.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
My question is how do you solder the wires without making it look like a bird crapped on it?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
My question is how do you solder the wires without making it look like a bird crapped on it?
Start with a good mechanical connection, after cleaning the crud off of the wires. Heat the iron, and melt a tiny dab of solder on the tip. Apply it to the joint, and wait until the little dab of solder starts flowing onto the joint. While continuing to hold the iron to the joint, apply more solder until the joint is just covered. Done. The surface of the joint should appear shiny.

Latest posts