Smartphone app for a truckers GPS

1998 12 vavle

I was looking at buying one of the truckers GPS apps for my smartphone. The trucking version of CoPilot is a $150! Smarttruck route is a subscription starting at $20/mo. or $50/year Any of these worth the $ ?

DubbleD

Color Commentator
Guess it would depend on how you plan to use it.

Are you a truck driver or Maserati driver?

Most of the Trucker GPS's have screens that exceed any phone for size and while yer bouncing over railroad tracks and dodging pot holes that phone gets smaller... especially from the floor on the passengers side.

Monthly subscription? No fuggin way. If you drive a truck.. buy a good GPS and write it off as a business expense. Tons cheaper than draggin yer wife around the country telling you to "Turn HERE" or worse... "You shudda turned back there where I told ya to".

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
Ok.. ok... I'll play....
if you had a GPS you wouldn't need to read the map while yer driving.
If you can memorize a route, you only need to look at it once, .. when you're planning the trip.

RACEFAN

Space Truckin
Supporter
If you can memorize a route, you only need to look at it once, .. when you're planning the trip.
I have my own personal planner.

She lives inside this little box on my dash, and tells me where I am, where to turn, when I need to be there, and when I need to stop driving.

Some times she's redundant as hell though.
ai1185.photobucket.com_albums_z358_F150_Junior_Smilies_bth_coocoo.gif
ai1185.photobucket.com_albums_z358_F150_Junior_Smilies_bth_coocoo.gif

Duck

Supporter
I have a Rand McNally laminated motor carriers atlas.

It's thick & heavy, but it's good because it keeps my wrist muscles toned in case I ever become single again.

DubbleD

Color Commentator
I have a Rand McNally laminated motor carriers atlas.

It's thick & heavy, but it's good because it keeps my wrist muscles toned in case I ever become single again.
I'll bet your atlas is real good about current traffic conditions and construction areas and rerouting you around those minor details on the fly too.

DubbleD

Color Commentator
Can you give an ETA to anywhere in the USA to within minutes using that heavy, dog eared, time waster?

Duck

Supporter
I'll bet your atlas is real good about current traffic conditions and construction areas and rerouting you around those minor details on the fly too.
CB
Can you give an ETA to anywhere in the USA to within minutes using that heavy, dog eared, time waster?
Within minutes? No. Reasonably accurate? I can do that in my head for the midwest & east because I've been running those regions for the last 8 years or so. If I need any routing for unfamiliar areas or need it to be within minutes, or need to translate textual or verbal local directions into a 2 dimensional image in my head, I just fire up the laptop & use Google Maps. It's not like firing up the laptop is that big of an ordeal, since it's usually on anyway.

I really, honestly DON'T need a GPS. Nobody NEEDS a GPS unless they're really bad with navigation, map reading, geography, memorizing exit numbers, etc.

A GPS is a tool that can make things easier like you say, but most of them don't automatically route you the most practical route half the time, unless you manually add waypoints or vias to the route, and if you can do that, then you already know what the best route is & therefore don't need the GPS for anything other than mileage and an en route ETE / ETA.

If you can't get from point A to point B without it, you're in the wrong line of work.

Ranger_375

Implications of people actually having it on or even installed. I can count the times I either got a reply, or heard information over the CB without taking off my shoes, just off the last month. That excludes brothels in NV advertising, and truck stop parking lot gabbers.

Significant change from pre-2004, where I would hear plenty of traffic on the road.

Within minutes? No. Reasonably accurate? I can do that in my head for the midwest & east because I've been running those regions for the last 8 years or so. If I need any routing for unfamiliar areas or need it to be within minutes, or need to translate textual or verbal local directions into a 2 dimensional image in my head, I just fire up the laptop & use Google Maps. It's not like firing up the laptop is that big of an ordeal, since it's usually on anyway.

I really, honestly DON'T need a GPS. Nobody NEEDS a GPS unless they're really bad with navigation, map reading, geography, memorizing exit numbers, etc.

A GPS is a tool that can make things easier like you say, but most of them don't automatically route you the most practical route half the time, unless you manually add waypoints or vias to the route, and if you can do that, then you already know what the best route is & therefore don't need the GPS for anything other than mileage and an en route ETE / ETA.

If you can't get from point A to point B without it, you're in the wrong line of work.
You're right about routing not always being the best. For me, the GPS ends up being not so much a route planning tool as a digital notepad.
I'm still breaking out paper and comparing what looks best on paper
VS
what Google says (for live traffic and endpoint parking/entry/hiccup avoidance)
VS
what the company recommends...

Then, I compare all three of those to what routes the GPS offers as "good ideas" and take, or make, the best route IN the GPS with via's for prospective enroute stops for fuel/fried taters/tree watering.... and then the GPS basically just keeps me from having to write down all the instructions.

I learned in the military to not totally rely on GPS... and I never will, as it's not perfect. It was also proven to be not perfect with rather irritating regularity, but I also am not sure if the one I was using was updated (Trainer's truck and gear).

*edited for clarity of point*

Last edited:

Latest posts