Shops

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #1
Is it just Texas? It seems every shop I have had to stop at in Texas just doesn't have it together. They don't know parts availability, they don't know how long it will take to repair something. With the exception of Rush in Pharr Texas, service writers have an attitude from the time you walk in the door. I just don't understand man. Seems to me the only place I have these problems is when at a shop in Texas. And my experience is limited to peterbilt dealers.

Anyone else experience the same at other dealers in other places?

I had some work done at The Pete Shop in Knoxville TN and they were on it. Parts and service communicated and I was informed and was out of the shop in a timely manner.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Definitely stay away from ATC Freightliner in Dallas.

I think it's a Texas thing.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I blew a maxi in Texas, I limped it off the road to a truck stop. A few hours later a guy comes out in a pickup truck with no parts but he caged the chamber and blocked the airlines.
I was instructed to go to this shop in the morning and they would have the part. (brake chamber). I get to the "shop" and it ain't nothing more than a shed and the guys work outside.:rolleyes-80:
Okay whatever, they got the job done eventually.

Last edited:

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #5
I am stuck till tomorrow waiting on parts for the most popular sold late model Pete has on the road...imagine that..oh we don't stock it. Go figure.

So hopefully once again the overnight truck makes it and I don't get screwed in Texas for yet another day. However I won't complain about the weather here. Sunny and 80.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I am stuck till tomorrow waiting on parts for the most popular sold late model Pete has on the road...imagine that..oh we don't stock it. Go figure.

So hopefully once again the overnight truck makes it and I don't get screwed in Texas for yet another day. However I won't complain about the weather here. Sunny and 80.
:rolllaugh:Shops don't ever have parts anymore! Wipers? Nope! Grommets? Nope! light bulbs? Nope!

Skateboard puller

I don't understand why parts aren't available for new trucks. Maybe they figure they won't break for awhile?

One of our company guys was broke down in North Carolina for three days. They think a harness was giving them issues, but there was no new harnesses in the system.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #9
Sad thing is. I all I need is a windshield installed. None of the local glass companies have it. And the nearest one is in Huston. The Freightliner dealer I worked at we stocked 2 windshields for ever every late model and when we sold one we ordered another critical.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
TA used to be a 100% service point for Freightliner. Around 5 years ago, they stopped stocking parts. So, they're dependent on the local Freightliner dealer now - which only has a limited supply of stuff. It's no different at Peterbilt/Kenworth. They are all dependent on the overnight LTL shipment from the regional distribution system. If your part gets on the truck. It's worse for Volvo. Slow boat from Europe.

Add to that the JIT system. The parts flow from parts manufacturers is controlled by the manufacturing arms of the truck manufacturers. The quantities ordered are based on their production volumes, so if you need something for your already built truck it's coming out of the JIT production flow, then to the regional distributor.

Woe be to the trucker broken down around the winter holidays. That's when the lines are shutdown for the changes to the next year's production model. No production, no JIT parts flow, which means if the distribution system is flushed of parts due to demand, or discontinuation due to a model change - you're **** Out Of Luck.

I spent 2 weeks broken down due to a discontinued turbo when they switched to the 2010 engines - it blew just before Christmas. There hadn't been time to get the replacement part flow going, and the JIT system was emptied of parts. It took over a week to locate one of the last turbos in the country, and get it air freighted to BFE Washington State.

Last edited:

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #11
TA used to be a 100% service point for Freightliner. Around 5 years ago, they stopped stocking parts. So, they're dependent on the local Freightliner dealer now - which only has a limited supply of stuff. It's no different at Peterbilt/Kenworth. They are all dependent on the overnight LTL shipment from the regional distribution system. If your part gets on the truck. It's worse for Volvo. Slow boat from Europe.

Add to that the JIT system. The parts flow from parts manufacturers is controlled by the manufacturing arms of the truck manufacturers. The quantities ordered are based on their production volumes, so if you need something for your already built truck it's coming out of the JIT production flow, then to the regional distributor.

Woe be to the trucker broken down around the winter holidays. That's when the lines are shutdown for the changes to the next year's production model. No production, no JIT parts flow, which means if the distribution system is flushed of parts due to demand, or discontinuation due to a model change - you're **** Out Of Luck.

I spent 2 weeks broken down due to a discontinued turbo when they switched to the 2010 engines - it blew just before Christmas. There hadn't been time to get the replacement part flow going, and the JIT system was emptied of parts. It took over a week to locate one of the last turbos in the country, and get it air freighted to BFE Washington State.
Heard that, sad thing is when I worked at Freightliner we got parts overnighted faster from Daimler in Germany than we ever got parts from a PDC in America. God forbid it was coming overnight from the Memphis PDC, you'd be lucky to see it in a week.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Check this **** out. Not even a big truck shop but my local mechanic.
I put the car in his shop and he says it needs this part.
Well, how long will it take to get this part?
Oh it can be here in a half hour, just wait around and we will fix it in like 2 hours.
No thanks. You keep the car and fix it I will pick it up later. I gave him the car for a day and a half.
I get a call, "we couldn't fix it, it needs another part"
I am sure as **** glad I did not wait around in the shop, For like a day and a half:foreheadslap:

I have to take the car to him for an emissions test. I can't wait for him to ask me if I want them to fix the original problem. NO I ALREADY BROUGHT IT HERE TO FIX THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM! It didn't get fixed! Just try not to **** up the emissions test okay.:thumbsup: 'atta boy!:rolleyes-80:

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #13
Check this **** out. Not even a big truck shop but my local mechanic.
I put the car in his shop and he says it needs this part.
Well, how long will it take to get this part?
Oh it can be here in a half hour, just wait around and we will fix it in like 2 hours.
No thanks. You keep the car and fix it I will pick it up later. I gave him the car for a day and a half.
I get a call, "we couldn't fix it, it needs another part"
I am sure as **** glad I did not wait around in the shop, For like a day and a half:foreheadslap:

I have to take the car to him for an emissions test. I can't wait for him to ask me if I want them to fix the original problem. NO I ALREADY BROUGHT IT HERE TO FIX THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM! It didn't get fixed! Just try not to **** up the emissions test okay.:thumbsup: 'atta boy!:rolleyes-80:
Easy solve to that problem, move to a town/state/Providence that doesn't do emissions testing.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #14
Update***** guess what? No they didn't receive the windshield today... hopefully tomorrow.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Easy solve to that problem, move to a town/state/Providence that doesn't do emissions testing.
Waiting on the new Conservative government that is going to eliminate the test. The election is in June.

CMT

Sad thing is. I all I need is a windshield installed. None of the local glass companies have it. And the nearest one is in Huston. The Freightliner dealer I worked at we stocked 2 windshields for ever every late model and when we sold one we ordered another critical.
Believe it or not, Safelite replaces big truck windshields too. They come to you wherever you are. I've had 2 replaced by them over the years and they've had the replacement asap.

CMT

Is it just Texas? It seems every shop I have had to stop at in Texas just doesn't have it together. They don't know parts availability, they don't know how long it will take to repair something. With the exception of Rush in Pharr Texas, service writers have an attitude from the time you walk in the door. I just don't understand man. Seems to me the only place I have these problems is when at a shop in Texas. And my experience is limited to peterbilt dealers.

Anyone else experience the same at other dealers in other places?

I had some work done at The Pete Shop in Knoxville TN and they were on it. Parts and service communicated and I was informed and was out of the shop in a timely manner.
I think it's a lot of shops that are like that. TA in Morris, IL used to be my go to for truck work. Management changed then the employee's attitudes changed and started doing half assed work, so I quit going there. Tried the new shop in Wilmington, IL. They were excellent at first, then the Morris manager got transferred to there and same **** is happening..**** poor work. Speedco Effingham, IL same way. The only shop i can somewhat trust lately is the TA in Janesville, WI. Sadly, I'm waiting for them to fail me at some point too. Then they'll be out of the Will like the others...

:rolllaugh:Shops don't ever have parts anymore! Wipers? Nope! Grommets? Nope! light bulbs? Nope!
So I picked up a grommet assortment kit. But it only has two of the size I need.
So I called a parts house. They can get 10 packs from Grote in sizes from 1/8" to 1". So I'll use the assorted pack to figure out sizes and then order the 10 packs.

I think on part of the project I'm working on I'll use heater hose with a slit in it to act as a grommet.