Shipper Called Us

In a situation in which a shipper bypasses the broker and requests services directly from you the driver, what exactly is it that you do? And what legalities are involved?
Thank You guys as always!

Silverwolf

The shipper can call who ever they want to ship. I would guess it depends on what sort of deal YOU have with the broker. The broker will be the one mad at the situation, and could make it difficult for YOU. The broker may boycott the shipper for doing it, but the shipper won't care, cause they can call anyone. So if you depend on work from the broker, better re direct that call. The shipper is normally just trying to jump the list and get his stuff shipped first. ITs not about money. I'm not sure I would want to be apart of that, just bad karma and gets you a bad name. For what? One delivery? If the shipper offered you a contract with full time work, then it would be worth it, and wouldn't be breaking any karma or rules as such.

Mike

Staff member
Check your agreement/contract with the broker.

Agent_Z

What mike said. If there is a clause about back-solicitation or a noncompete somewhere in a rate confirmation you've done for that broker in the past, it could be on you. If you got caught. Make sure you've read the fine print on every load you've ever booked with that broker.

My agent contract has a noncompete clause in it. If I were to open my own brokerage after leaving the office I work for, I couldn't solicit or move loads for any of our shippers for 2 years. I've seen posted rate cons online with similar clauses in them ; i.e. no contracts directly from shippers.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I've hauled multiple loads from the same shipper getting them from multiple different brokers.

So what's the issue.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've hauled multiple loads from the same shipper getting them from multiple different brokers.

So what's the issue.
Depends on what the contract with the broker says. Many of them contain a clause that prevents you, the carrier, from directly soliciting freight from their clients.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
It's a free world.

If the shipper is calling you, I'd say you didn't solicit them.

They are more than welcome to do whatever they want. If that means they take the name off every truck that rolls in the yard, that's their doing. Not yours.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
If the shipper is calling you, I'd say you didn't solicit them.
Unless there's a previous relation governed by contract. If you've pulled a brokered load from that shipper previously, then you must abide by any contractual agreement you have with the broker. Unless you don't give a ****, and have lotsa money to throw away on attorneys.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Screw the broker.

They're mortal, and so are their lawyers.

I know a guy with a back hoe if you need it.

Mike

Staff member
Only way I see an issue is if you are running a dedicated lane, at which point I would review my agreement with the broker.

Otherwise, if the shipper is approaching you, I wouldn’t be worried about it.

oldhippietommy

quack!

I have had several shippers ask me and once i tried it and didn`t like it.I got paid just as much,and quicker using the broker.I stick with brokers

JunkYardDog5958

I have a 20 ton hydraulic press.

Matchbox cars don't stand a chance. :thumbsup:
When I was little kid I’d take hot wheels to sidewalk with a hammer I was the car crusher. Can’t tell I was raised around car crushers can ya 😂