Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
one thing i noticed about my engine
when i top it off with oil,it has more blowby
it blows oil out to where is it 1 - 1.5 gals low
then it holds it`s level
and the blowby decreases

tomorrow i will find somewhere else to send another oil sample off
You could have a blowby problem, but a lot of engines get happy when they've shed excess oil. @mndriver suggested looking at the oil pump. That ain't a half bad idea considering the havoc a failing oil pump can cause.

Mike

Staff member
On the oil level, many trucks have a dipstick that is not accurate at all, and will burn it off rather quickly until it reaches it's happy level. Not just trucks, but reefer units as well.

I'm not saying run less oil in it, but if you can research and find the exact amount it should take, see where that shows up on the stick. Also, see how much oil it takes to get to the point on the stick where it quits burning/blowing the oil.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
tomorrow i will find somewhere else to send another oil sample off
You really want to send it to the same lab all the time so you are not getting different results from different testing procedures.

Yes they should be standardized testing, but different machines will calibrate differently.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You really want to send it to the same lab all the time so you are not getting different results from different testing procedures.

Yes they should be standardized testing, but different machines will calibrate differently.
The reports will read differently as well, making it harder to compare results.

Thread starter #66
8C8E5DE0-86C3-4E00-9C77-EA405579BF9D.jpeg

Just about a year on the belt tensioner. Looks like it’s done already. I’m hoping warranty, gotta find the invoice.

I seriously thought you’d get more than a year out of a belt tensioner

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
View attachment 45937
Just about a year on the belt tensioner. Looks like it’s done already. I’m hoping warranty, gotta find the invoice.

I seriously thought you’d get more than a year out of a belt tensioner
That more depends on how much you idle the truck and run it. If you run the truck 24/7 and idle when not running, then it will wear out much faster like anything else. I’m not saying that’s what you did. Sometimes things get imperfections in manufacturing and they fail prematurely.

Thread starter #68
That more depends on how much you idle the truck and run it. If you run the truck 24/7 and idle when not running, then it will wear out much faster like anything else. I’m not saying that’s what you did. Sometimes things get imperfections in manufacturing and they fail prematurely.
It’s slightly annoying that I probably can’t get warranty on the belt. $120 for a belt, that’s got a years life on it, out the winda.

I had it looked at (the belt) 2-3 months ago for a slight wander, I was told to run it and keep an eye on it. I had been keeping an eye on it
:dunno:

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
It’s slightly annoying that I probably can’t get warranty on the belt. $120 for a belt, that’s got a years life on it, out the winda.

I had it looked at (the belt) 2-3 months ago for a slight wander, I was told to run it and keep an eye on it. I had been keeping an eye on it
:dunno:
Sorry man, **** just happened sometimes. Make sure nothing else locked up.

Thread starter #70
Sorry man, **** just happened sometimes. Make sure nothing else locked up.
I’ll pull it apart in the morning. It got my load delivered, then made it home, that’s all that matters. (Two spare belts on the truck I could’ve used, if need be)

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Gates green stripe.

I'd have bought it at my local parts house, taken it back to them and swapped it.

No questions asked.

Yeah it's more expensive up front, but the benefits since have been incredible.

I bought one belt 6 years ago. I've replaced it three times since. Not on my penny.

My tensioner is the same thing. Made by Gates. Warranty is the same every 220-230k miles it seems.

Thread starter #72
2523B173-E892-4AF9-97E3-2A539700185B.jpeg

That valve is next up. Got all new brass fittings for it tonight. Buddy of mine says it’s a waste of money to have the brass on hand, another buddy of mine says no way, buy the brass, if you don’t have spares you’ll need them. Ain’t no way I’m trying to change it this weekend without them, in my eyes, then you’re stuck until Monday if you need parts.

I don’t understand what’s going on. The small valve (red cap), is leaking air around the red cap (the old one on the truck, not the new one). I changed it out, aired up the truck, it started dumping air out the end of it. Both “ends” of the T are marked OUT. The bottom has an airline going to the levelling valve, to a port marked DUMP.

I put the old one back on, aired up the truck, back to just a small air leak.

Tried a second valve with similar results :cautious:

So now I’m being told to change the whole valve, like pictured, and see what happens.

I don’t know :dunno:

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
View attachment 45943
That valve is next up. Got all new brass fittings for it tonight. Buddy of mine says it’s a waste of money to have the brass on hand, another buddy of mine says no way, buy the brass, if you don’t have spares you’ll need them. Ain’t no way I’m trying to change it this weekend without them, in my eyes, then you’re stuck until Monday if you need parts.

I don’t understand what’s going on. The small valve (red cap), is leaking air around the red cap (the old one on the truck, not the new one). I changed it out, aired up the truck, it started dumping air out the end of it. Both “ends” of the T are marked OUT. The bottom has an airline going to the levelling valve, to a port marked DUMP.

So now I’m being told to change the whole valve, like pictured, and see what happens.

Well if your old one doesn’t have a T there, then you need to plug the T.

If you have a small leak at the collar pull the line out, make a fresh square cut removing the quick connect ring in the plastic then re insert it firmly once bottomed pull out on the red cap some and it should seat the line in place, giver a gentle tug. Should be seated. Then air up the truck and see what happens.

Thread starter #74

If you have a small leak at the collar pull the line out, make a fresh square cut removing the quick connect ring in the plastic then re insert it firmly once bottomed pull out on the red cap some and it should seat the line in place, giver a gentle tug. Should be seated. Then air up the truck and see what happens.
A3682546-E9D4-4717-BB5D-DD2102207F26.jpeg

That’s the one on there now.

It just so happened there was a similar truck to mine at the dealership when I was there, the valve set-up was identical to mine. The shop foreman said try a second valve, if that doesn’t work, change the whole thing. He said there may be a hole in a diaphragm in the larger valve, allowing air to blow out the smaller one

I’ll hopefully get to it this weekend. Thanks

Thread starter #75
View attachment 45943

You’re an idiot. You got the wrong size fitting for the front airline.

You’ll be a bigger idiot if you don’t get some 3/4” airline and a union. Because you know what will happen if you don’t. You’ll have to cut that airline then it’ll be too short

Idiot
:thefinger:

Thread starter #76
Gates green stripe.

I'd have bought it at my local parts house, taken it back to them and swapped it.

No questions asked.

Yeah it's more expensive up front, but the benefits since have been incredible.

I bought one belt 6 years ago. I've replaced it three times since. Not on my penny.

My tensioner is the same thing. Made by Gates. Warranty is the same every 220-230k miles it seems.
I ordered Gates parts tonight. I don’t know about being green stripe

Thread starter #77
7473A5CF-0B0C-4B8D-9080-AB6FC9D7BAEE.jpeg

Ok, that didn’t work. Still blows the valve letting high pressure air out. Popped a plug in the end for now.
E4D97BA2-B390-4018-8D19-670CA0FB7BD1.jpeg

A similar truck to mine, tonight at the dealer
3FF89D25-59D5-446D-9BEB-1568FC48604A.jpeg

How mine has been since I’ve had it

Ok, saw a similar truck to mine at a dealer a month ago. Practically identical set up to mine. Then, tonight, similar truck to mine, plumbed the same way

Looks like I have to spend some time with an air pressure gauge in the near future to figure this out.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
View attachment 46057
Ok, that didn’t work. Still blows the valve letting high pressure air out. Popped a plug in the end for now. View attachment 46058
A similar truck to mine, tonight at the dealer
View attachment 46059
How mine has been since I’ve had it

Ok, saw a similar truck to mine at a dealer a month ago. Practically identical set up to mine. Then, tonight, similar truck to mine, plumbed the same way

Looks like I have to spend some time with an air pressure gauge in the near future to figure this out.
I may have misunderstood something. I thought you weee replacing this because the air line was leaking at the quick connect and you were just replacing the whole unit while there. Did I miss something?

Thread starter #79
I may have misunderstood something. I thought you weee replacing this because the air line was leaking at the quick connect and you were just replacing the whole unit while there. Did I miss something?
Yes. The “T” with the red cap, I believe a pressure regulator valve, leaked air by the red cap.

I replaced the valve, but then had air pissing out the “out” port on the valve

Tried a second valve, same results

So, tried changing the relay valve, with a pressure valve today. Same issue. The part pictured above with new fittings.

I don’t know what I’m doing :redface: