See stupid steering wheel holder? Snap a pic and post it!

dchawk81

Supporter
I had to pick up a half-repaired crashed Volvo and run it 600 miles to the yard once.

Dude rear ended 3 cars that were stopped on the middle of the Indiana turnpike in white out snow conditions. No idea if there were injuries or whatever.

The truck was towed and the shop was told only to get it roadworthy and they'd have their favorite body shop out in Iowa do the rest.

So this thing had no front end or grille and the hood was held together with zip ties.

And it was low on fuel, so I had to drive that thing up to the fuel island like that. Talk about embarrassing.
Canner For A Day.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
View attachment 47871
I-80 near Rock Springs WY. Dude passed me not even 5 minutes ago, going 65. Cab was crushed, he was trapped inside, but unharmed.
You posted that at 10:40 pm central so like 9:40 mountain time and said "5 minutes ago" and yet it ain't dark in the picture. It gets dark around 4:30. Did you mean 5 minutes before you took the picture?

Good that he's alright. He's totally screwed job-wise though. The ECM will show his speed.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
But.....bu-but...
The speed limit is 70 through there! You're supposed to park if you can't do the speed limit because you're a road hazard! Remember?

...uh... Was that a skateboard hauling skateboards?
I've said before that if you can't safely do the posted minimum it's time to park it.

Mainly because anything less than 45 mph or so is wasting your log hours.

dchawk81

Supporter
I've said before that if you can't safely do the posted minimum it's time to park it.

I almost never see posted minimums. But I agree. If I'm gonna be spending my whole shift at less than 45mph on the interstate, I'm not going out in the first place.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
But.....bu-but...
The speed limit is 70 through there! You're supposed to park if you can't do the speed limit because you're a road hazard! Remember?

...uh... Was that a skateboard hauling skateboards?

I almost never see posted minimums. But I agree. If I'm gonna be spending my whole shift at less than 45mph on the interstate, I'm not going out in the first place.
Might be a good plan back east, but that stretch east of SLC has such bad and variable weather, you can easily get shut down for a week or more due to the roads being closed. Also, I80 frequently is snowpacked and very icy, so driving the speed limit leads to crashes that shutdown the highway.

Hey! They just opened 80! The rush is on!!

Its better to feel your way up to the speed where your truck starts to have controlability issues, and then back off 5 mph. Then run to the next point weather, the road conditions, or some idjit that thinks they can run at the dry road speed limit crashes and shuts everyone down again.

They've gone to variable speed limits between Laramie and Rock Springs. 45 might just be your top end some days.

moonbeast32

You posted that at 10:40 pm central so like 9:40 mountain time and said "5 minutes ago" and yet it ain't dark in the picture. It gets dark around 4:30. Did you mean 5 minutes before you took the picture?
Yes. My new phone network provider has crap coverage. I took that picture around 9 am yesterday, but wouldn't ve within mobile data range until that night