Seattle Passes Head Tax

dave350

Thread starter #1
Seattle City Council unanimously approves scaled-down employee tax

Supporters of the bill say businesses that have benefited from Seattle's prosperity and contributed to growing income inequality can and should pay.
What the hell is this supposed to mean?

I hope Amazon rolls up and rolls out along with some other big business in Seattle. Stay tuned for other cities to admire Seattle’s efforts and inact similar taxes. Probably soon hear Baltimore is thinking about this tax. Or Md state govt.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
It means they think the corporations that have made Seattle prosperous should pay more money for Seattle to squander away on projects.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Really?
Like really?
The could not come up with a better name for the tax that does not sound remotely like the Chinese head tax?:harumph:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
SEATTLE — After weeks of tense and raucous meetings, the Seattle City Council unanimously approved (9-0) a controversial tax on the city's largest businesses in an effort to fight homelessness.

they wanna fight homelessness..??

gather them all up, put them on a slow boat, and nuke it.
No. Put all the liberals on the boat and sink it. Don't waste a nuke.

That'll open up jobs and vacate housing for the homeless.

dave350

Thread starter #9
Head tax is about to be repealed. I guess Seattle realized they won't have much of a city if all the big businesses roll up their carpets and leave.

Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
Saw that on the news yesterday. These liberals will keep pushing in one way or another. Maybe they’ll raise property taxes on the residents instead. (If Seattle has property tax) Property taxes in Baltimore City are outrageously high. Much higher than mine in the county.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Saw that on the news yesterday. These liberals will keep pushing in one way or another. Maybe they’ll raise property taxes on the residents instead. (If Seattle has property tax) Property taxes in Baltimore City are outrageously high. Much higher than mine in the county.
City of Seattle has excise taxes on everything. King County has property tax and sales tax. Washington State has various excise taxes, vehicle registration taxes (hundreds of dollars per year) sales taxes.. But no income tax.

If Seattle is serious about this new service they want to provide, they can cut 1% from every other expenditure. They take in $4.6B per year in revenue. This would get them almost the $50M they expected to raise with this "head" tax. Also, they had a city income tax on "the wealthy" that was squashed in King County Superior Court. Income tax was declared unConstitutional by Washington State Supreme Court, but it's full of Liberal judges now, so Seattle is expecting their appeal of the Superior Court decision will go in their favor. Stand by for a Washington State income tax.

Washington does not have a problem with getting money. Their problem is spending. Same with Seattle.

dave350

Thread starter #11
City of Seattle has excise taxes on everything. King County has property tax and sales tax. Washington State has various excise taxes, vehicle registration taxes (hundreds of dollars per year) sales taxes.. But no income tax.
Damn they’re lucky. Md has all that and an income tax. Md has floated the idea of attaching the 6% sales tax to fuel sales as well. That would be on top of the state per gallon fuel tax which they recently voted to raise AND it goes up incrementally so they never have to vote on an increase again.

Last year and again this year I combined federal and state income taxes together with property tax and figured it as percentage of my adjusted income it’s stunning and frustrating. This is excluding any other excise taxes. Just those three.
And some of these states want more. It’s insane.

BirchBarlow

I hate KW 680s
It means they think the corporations that have made Seattle prosperous should pay more money for Seattle to squander away on projects.
Well beats me what they spend it on...

Why dont they take like an old government building like a closed school set up a bunch of bunk beds like a dormitory and the cafeteria can dish up meals...

Instead of a guidance counsler how about Job Service and Treatment for addicts so they can clean up and get a job.

Im sure a big city like Seattle owns lots of shuttered school buildings and ya could open one in each district..

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Instead of a guidance counselor how about Job Service and Treatment for addicts so they can clean up and get a job.
Job service for junkies....

:rolllaugh:

I know 6 people who got into heroin.

One of them cleaned up on his own. No rehab, nothing. The other 5 have been in & out of jail and rehab for about 15 years now. One is already dead.

Apparently there's no such thing as effective rehab for heroin junkies.

I say we propose a euthanasia program that will round up and gas all the junkies... No intention of ever actually doing it, just propose the idea and then take names of all the people who object to it and tax just those people for everything related to the babysitting of junkies, including those expensive overdose rescue drugs they make ambulances carry.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I say we propose a euthanasia program that will round up and gas all the junkies... No intention of ever actually doing it, just propose the idea and then take names of all the people who object to it and tax just those people for everything related to the babysitting of junkies, including those expensive overdose rescue drugs they make ambulances carry.
....And smokers, drinkers and fat people and guys with man buns.

But start with the guys with man buns, they are the worst!:mad: