Schneider National No Longer Hiring Inexperienced Drivers

Mike

Staff member
In a move that is both a result of the country's economic problems and an indication of their seriousness, Schneider National Inc. said last week it will stop training inexperienced people to become truck drivers.

The Green Bay firm, one of the country's largest trucking companies, now will fill its behind-the-wheel openings exclusively with veteran drivers - something it hasn't done since the mid-1980s.

For years, trucking executives nationwide bewailed a "driver shortage" that created huge turnover, pushed up pay and sometimes left tractors sitting idle despite plenty of freight demand.

With the recession tightening its grip, however, those days have disappeared.

Trucking company failures have spiked, a record number of trucks has been idled and drivers who once jumped from firm to firm for better pay or working conditions now are more inclined to stay put.
Each year, the company has trained thousands of inexperienced drivers at centers in Green Bay and five other cities across the U.S. and Canada.

The privately held firm employs or contracts with 14,400 drivers and posted $3.5 billion in revenue in 2007. It hasn't yet disclosed sales for 2008.

On average, it costs Schneider about $8,000 and takes about 45 days to train each newcomer to the field, said Don Osterberg, vice president of safety and driver training.

Training for experienced drivers, which focuses largely on orientation in Schneider's way of doing things rather than the fine points of, say, steering out of a skid, takes about four days and costs about $1,500.

With the industry contracting, Schneider can take advantage of the savings. The "supply and demand lines have crossed," and there are now more experienced drivers than there are jobs, Osterberg said.

More: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

HeyMan

:tiphat:

I've been look'n at Schneider since May. I noticed suspicious rumblings, on other forums, around August. I picked brains, asked question's, but most can't see very well or they suffer from the power of positive thinking.

I had a feeling back then SNI was going to stop hiring. :runningaround:

In Nov. SNI announced they we're closing down their schools. I wrote about this in on one of my posts on this forum in the last week or 2.

:tiphat:

Flatbedpete

Drivers unite
Well is TMC is on their way to profit. We have lost our work to them and their cheap freight rates. I know they have whacked many other companies also. In my opinion they will be the next to try and break the union since they have been working YRC rates down to where that company is having votes as to agree to cut labor costs or jobs. I really feel sorry for the drivers though. There has been some grumbling from companies that might lose everything because of TMC rate cuts to get work. The word is to hit them hard and fast with destruction to their equipment for their antics. What is bad I hear TMC pays well, well maybe for a driver that has been with them for a couple of years, but the new guys are getting paid between 8 and 15 per hour depending on the route and time it takes to do it. Since they are a subsidised company, and well subsidised, I feel they will work for dirt now and then cry like our big three for a bail out to keep them going if they are one of the very few who will even be moving mid next year if things don't change.

Mike

Staff member
I remember quite a few years back when J.B. Hunt took this route. Didn't last long though because I think they really struggled to find drivers (no experienced drivers wanted to work for them, LOL).

This is a smart move for Schneider though. They are doing the trucking industry a favor by not continuing to bring in new drivers during this extreme freight shortage, and they are helping themselves by saving a lot of money that they generally spend when training drivers.

SilverSurfer

Old School'd
A little attention should be paid to the "Green Cards For America" issue. Are they truely shutting down schools and freezing hiring of US truckers...or are they going to utilize our government programs now to bring foreign truckers in. There are some changes being made to the H-2B visa requirements. Don't just look at the top layer of what's happening.

-ss-

Flatbedpete

Drivers unite
The big problem is to many people go on doing bad or wrong things. With today's government no one ever pays the penalty. I use to laugh about doing something stupid like speeding or over weight. Today you get hammered if you get caught. But look at big business, they have major screw ups and get rewarded for it. This is the wrong signal to be bringing up our newer generations. The old way you are not a crook unless you are caught. Today you are a crook and society pays for it and the more society has to pay, the bigger and better crook you are especially when you get caught and are blatant about it. I respect a company that will no longer hire new drivers with crap wages, since there are so many older drivers who need a job and have families to support with a needed living wage. We shut down again about a month ago, no big deal. Just will wait and see how long it takes to start back up again. Cheap freight will do fine now, but sooner or later, the profit from it will eat up all the companies that perform like this. You have to pay a good wage no matter what, if you expect good service. You also have to pay for maintenence and repairs along with operating costs. So with today's wages, you see poor workmanship and newer equipment that fails inspections. I see it every day and just sit back in amazement that people will work so hard to make nothing. We lost our work to TMC. No big deal. They cut our rates by 50%. Common sense is they will not make it. We made money, they are just making fuel and cheap labor costs. But I do fear they will fail, and our illustrious government by that time will have some major bail out program for crappy trucking companies just like our car companies.
Here is the reason I think this way. A very good friend of mines buddy works for Ford. He makes good money, I had heard in the range of 1000 per week. I also found out from this guy he has worked for Ford for over 20 years. He gets 4 weeks pay to stay home per year for a model year change or die change. That equals 4G. Now since he has worked their so long, he gets an additional 8 weeks off for vacation. That equals 8G. I was told there is 16 weeks minimum in every car whether or not the employee gets it or not. So if I was to look at a new Mustang, one with a V8 at around 30G on the low side, I see no value. But take that 16G off the price for vacation, or year end chango over off and you have a Mustang with a V8 for 14G. I would buy one, maybe two. I have been a Ford lover my whole life, until now, since I happen to be an investor in a **** poor managed, greedy, crooked company that I had no say so in, just like all of you . I say let them follow the rules of Chapter 11 - reconstruction. But that means all the management would have to step down, and we all know that isn't going to happen, and we all know they will be back in March for another huge chunk of cash, because they will **** it all away. What I am scared to find out is, how much tax are we going to have to pay to keep this crap up. Sooner or later, it has to register, that people who are not working, make no money, so they can't pay any tax. Or will our leaders execute people for non payment of taxes.

Mike

Staff member
I think this is just a case of cutting back on the major costs involved with training drivers. Could be more to it though, definitely needs to be watched.

To be clear though, Schneider is still hiring drivers, but only experienced drivers.

Mike

Staff member
Pete, I don't mean to sound rude, but you are confusing me, LOL. You are responding to a topic about Schneider no longer hiring rookie drivers with posts that don't seem to be related in any way, unless I am just missing the connection.

Flatbedpete

Drivers unite
I think this is just a case of cutting back on the major costs involved with training drivers. Could be more to it though, definitely needs to be watched.

To be clear though, Schneider is still hiring drivers, but only experienced drivers.

Well I will say this, I am total in favor of them hiring experienced drivers. I like that idea better than driving next to or near an inexperienced one. I learned driving a bomber from a concrete plant and a stone pit on a haul road. Did this for years in all types of weather. Today we take a guy who can't even shift and get him in rush hour traffic and wonder why we have an accident.

Flatbedpete

Drivers unite
Pete, I don't mean to sound rude, but you are confusing me, LOL. You are responding to a topic about Schneider no longer hiring rookie drivers with posts that don't seem to be related in any way, unless I am just missing the connection.
TMC and others are hiring drivers for cheap wages, have no experience. I just went overboard as usual

Flatbedpete

Drivers unite
I will say this. I am glad to hear Schneider is going to hire experienced drivers. Years ago I had a couple of my trucks on a job. We were working for Ashland Chemical in Bedford Park Illinois. We were setting a 20,000 gallon tank. The tank was designed to set just in front of a two bay dock they had. There were huge beams that span the distance over the dock. I was holding this tank with a Grove portable truck crane about 30 feet in the air and just about to set it down on the framework, when a Schneider truck was trying to back into the open dock and hit the out riggers on the crane I was in. The driver gets out and walks to the back to see what he hit. I am yelling at him, because it did cause the truck to move and yes the tank was moving also. Not much. but we had people up on this framework, who almost were knocked off who were guiding this down on the frame work mounts. I could not beleive this guy starts yelling at us, because he could not get in the dock. Needless to say, we did set the tank in about 15 minuites after the incident, when I was unhooked. I swung the boom around and dropped the head ache ball on the cab of his truck, since he continued to scream at us. The police showed up and everything got taken care of.

Flatbedpete

Drivers unite
Well its way past my bed time and I need my beauty sleep, I know I had better pray for a coma. nite all. maybe talk to ya tomorrow

HeyMan

The big problem is to many people go on doing bad or wrong things. With today's government no one ever pays the penalty. I use to laugh about doing something stupid like speeding or over weight. Today you get hammered if you get caught. But look at big business, they have major screw ups and get rewarded for it. This is the wrong signal to be bringing up our newer generations. The old way you are not a crook unless you are caught. Today you are a crook and society pays for it and the more society has to pay, the bigger and better crook you are especially when you get caught and are blatant about it. I respect a company that will no longer hire new drivers with crap wages, since there are so many older drivers who need a job and have families to support with a needed living wage. We shut down again about a month ago, no big deal. Just will wait and see how long it takes to start back up again. Cheap freight will do fine now, but sooner or later, the profit from it will eat up all the companies that perform like this. You have to pay a good wage no matter what, if you expect good service. You also have to pay for maintenence and repairs along with operating costs. So with today's wages, you see poor workmanship and newer equipment that fails inspections. I see it every day and just sit back in amazement that people will work so hard to make nothing. We lost our work to TMC. No big deal. They cut our rates by 50%. Common sense is they will not make it. We made money, they are just making fuel and cheap labor costs. But I do fear they will fail, and our illustrious government by that time will have some major bail out program for crappy trucking companies just like our car companies.
Here is the reason I think this way. A very good friend of mines buddy works for Ford. He makes good money, I had heard in the range of 1000 per week. I also found out from this guy he has worked for Ford for over 20 years. He gets 4 weeks pay to stay home per year for a model year change or die change. That equals 4G. Now since he has worked their so long, he gets an additional 8 weeks off for vacation. That equals 8G. I was told there is 16 weeks minimum in every car whether or not the employee gets it or not. So if I was to look at a new Mustang, one with a V8 at around 30G on the low side, I see no value. But take that 16G off the price for vacation, or year end chango over off and you have a Mustang with a V8 for 14G. I would buy one, maybe two. I have been a Ford lover my whole life, until now, since I happen to be an investor in a **** poor managed, greedy, crooked company that I had no say so in, just like all of you . I say let them follow the rules of Chapter 11 - reconstruction. But that means all the management would have to step down, and we all know that isn't going to happen, and we all know they will be back in March for another huge chunk of cash, because they will **** it all away. What I am scared to find out is, how much tax are we going to have to pay to keep this crap up. Sooner or later, it has to register, that people who are not working, make no money, so they can't pay any tax. Or will our leaders execute people for non payment of taxes.
:beep:

I would like to bring up a point I believe has some viability. If I haven't said it, the corporations and our government are in cahoots with each other. It has gone way to far.

I'll use the 1st part of this post, I'm addressing, as an example. Government has, since 1980, been moving towards moving the tax burden away from corporations, and ON TO THE PUBLIC, you and me. They have done this in part by de-regulating business, AND INCORPORATED AND IMPOSED EXCESSIVE REGULATION ON THE PUBLIC. As stated above speed and overwieght was not a real big deal. Now "The public is getting hammered."

The state of AZ stated the are using the speeding cameras as a way to boost their revenue.

If the state of AZ stopped allowing illegal aliens to use our countries health and school system we would not need to bring the pain of, BIG BROTHER WATCHING type, citations on our citizens.

Sorry I got side tracked. :thud:

What the corporations and government appear to have done is creating training schools to supply the industry with an almost endless supply of students who pay schools or companies $4,000.00. They get cheap trainee drivers at first. Then the companies continue with their unrealistic demands on truckers, forcing them to move to another company or quit the business altogether. Then they all have the odasity to complain about drivers and then move to HIRE foriegners through h1b visa's, ect.

This is a vicious cycle that has been intentionally created the way I see it. No one seems to be able to do anything about it because the business own's the politicians. :spend:

:stirpot:

Ah, I just went back and read posts made while I was writing this book.

I guess we're off topic.

Sorry. One thing just lead to another. LOL

Cancel this thought.

FlatBroke

Well, if SNI has went public with this then you can bet the rest will probably follow suit. For a little while anyway. Because when a big company makes a move like this usually others will follow.

HeyMan

Well, if SNI has went public with this then you can bet the rest will probably follow suit. For a little while anyway. Because when a big company makes a move like this usually others will follow.

SNI made it known in October they were closing their trucking school's/academies.

Mike

Staff member
Yes, but this is taking it one step further. They are not even hiring graduates from other schools at this point.

HeyMan

lol What? lol

Ah, are you following the trucking industry? You do see this post don't you? Thousand's of drivers are being fired, and laid off. :thud:

Training has stopped at SNI. What's happening is big. Trucking companies are filing for bankruptcy and going under each week.

Are you following the economy? :banghead:

I'm just'a fun'n with ya. Don't mean to sound harsh.

SilverSurfer

Old School'd
What?

Ah, are you following the trucking industry? You do see this post don't you? Thousand of drivers are being fired and laid off. :thud:

Training has stopped at SNI. What's happening is big. Trucking companies are filing for bankruptcy and going under each week.

Are you following the economy? :banghead:
Easy brother. There are many not aware, and we need to have a little restraint when questions such as this is asked. Now if the response remains ignorant to the situation...let 'em have it...lol

-ss-