Running Canada / U.S. for the first time in 20 years

Davester

Can anyone shed some light on what I need to know, what to expect, etc.. Starting an OTR job late next week and want to make sure I know what I need to know. (Last question, I swear :) )

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Can anyone shed some light on what I need to know, what to expect, etc.. Starting an OTR job late next week and want to make sure I know what I need to know. (Last question, I swear :) )
Kinda late to be cramming for finals isn't it?

You don't need a pocket full of change.

A grasp if how to use the internet and smartphones/apps is useful.

Get Trucker Path

Do not trust non-truck-specific navigation apps. They don't know about low clearances, 102" wide vehicles, and load limited routes.

A RMCA is still useful.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You might want to update your atlas
:D

You want specifics on stuff like border crossing info?

TruckersPath app is handy

What province or provinces will you be in?

Davester

Kinda late to be cramming for finals isn't it?
Just found out today I landed the job

Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I was refering to customs, ... that information is helpful too, thank you !

From what I've found so far, similar to 20 years ago, it is Bill of Lading, manifest, customs papers, and a new electronic customs document of some sort, that i'm still trying to find out info on.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Just found out today I landed the job

Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I was refering to customs, ... that information is helpful too, thank you !

From what I've found so far, similar to 20 years ago, it is Bill of Lading, manifest, customs papers, and a new electronic customs document of some sort, that i'm still trying to find out info on.
Yeah the way they do it these days is all electronic Your load is reviewed before you get to the border. You still need to stop at the customs booth for questions and can be sent for secondary inspection. Most time secondary is an x-ray of the truck but it can also be an off-load inspection.

Going to the U.S. you will have an "ACE" manifest and that will be set up by you company. You will then be sent an Entry Number. Do not even go near the border until you have this entry number. You can be fined.
So you write in your entry number on the Ace manifest.
It sounds complicated but, it is very simple for the driver. Most of the work is done by dispatch and the brokers. all your info is known before the truck gets to the border. Truck number/plate #s same for the trailer.
Your name will be in there. If you have any passengers they must be on there too.

Way easier than back in the day when you had to wait in line to see your broker(s) and then wait in line to see customs. Sure entry #'s do fail from time to time and you will have to see your broker in that case.

Northbound to Canada is basically the same thing. The names of the manifest and entry number is different but the process is the same.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Yeah the way they do it these days is all electronic Your load is reviewed before you get to the border. You still need to stop at the customs booth for questions and can be sent for secondary inspection. Most time secondary is an x-ray of the truck but it can also be an off-load inspection.

Going to the U.S. you will have an "ACE" manifest and that will be set up by you company. You will then be sent an Entry Number. Do not even go near the border until you have this entry number. You can be fined.
So you write in your entry number on the Ace manifest.
It sounds complicated but, it is very simple for the driver. Most of the work is done by dispatch and the brokers. all your info is known before the truck gets to the border. Truck number/plate #s same for the trailer.
Your name will be in there. If you have any passengers they must be on there too.

Way easier than back in the day when you had to wait in line to see your broker(s) and then wait in line to see customs. Sure entry #'s do fail from time to time and you will have to see your broker in that case.

Northbound to Canada is basically the same thing. The names of the manifest and entry number is different but the process is the same.
I had two entry numbers, I forget where I called from to get them. Maybe Imlay City MI? Anyway less than an hour between me getting them and me hitting the border, one was canceled.
:mad:

I had two PARs stickers, two entry numbers, ACE all set up and ready to hand over. The guy in the booth says I’m not cleared. Fur **** sakes.

Two hours later the owner of the company importing the product, at 10 pm at night, had to call them to straighten it out. :cautious:

But generally the border coming home is smooth sailing

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Another thing to know is on the U.S. if your load clears you will be sent on your way with no paper. If you are sent to secondary there will be something written in red pen. once you clear you will be on your way. with no paper.

In Canada your paper will be stamped by Canada Customs. You are going to want to keep this paper and hand it in to your company. Your company needs to keep this on file in case, for what ever reason Customs comes back on the company. This is for your protection to prove the load did indeed clear.

Last edited:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Another thing to know is on the U.S. if your load clears you will be sent on your way with no paper. If you are sent to secondary there will be something written in red pen. once you clear you will be on your way. with no paper.

In Canada your paper will be stamped by Canada Customs. You are going to want to keep this paper and hand it in to your company. Your company needs to keep this on file in case, for what ever reason Customs back on the company. This is for your protection to prove the load did indeed clear.
I always put my PARs on my ACE. Someone once told me the PARs belongs on the customs invoice.

I don’t know, my way works and gets me a stampy-stampy most ricky tick

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Thanks Rigjockey Rigjockey and Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw ! Really appreciated ! This kind of info is hard to find. I know my new company will offer me guidance, but I want to have a clue so I don't lose their faith.
No worries my brother, That is what the forum is here for 👍. Feel free to post any and all questions you may have.
I know it is kind of overwhelming before you actually get in the truck and do these things for the first time. Don't over think it. If you have a good trainer or company they will be able to walk you through most of it.

Anyway, I hope you have fun next week. Because if you aren't having fun, there ain't no point of trucking. 👍

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I use CamScanner app to send my paperwork in.

I reread RJs post but didn’t see it mentioned: you will need to have your port of crossing listed, as well as day and time.

For instance, crossing at Sarnia your port of entry is port huron. Coming home your port of entry would be Sarnia.

Also, you have to wait an hour from when the border receives it, regardless if you have an entry number or not.

PAPs to go south, PARs to come home

Some times you need multiple PARs

You’ll figure it out

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Most U.S. Customs Officers think they are SGT Hartman from Full metal jacket. Don't forget your Yes, Sir's and No, Sir's!:bowdown:

Canada Customs is more casual but be respectful ;)

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
When I worked for FH, they are very good at minimizing driver paperwork, they want you to drive. Anyway they got on board with Transflow. You would scan you paperwork and it would be sent to FH. You didn't need to deal with customs brokers, They had a guy that did all that. You could scan it with your smart phone.

There is a feature with Canada customs that Customs will send a message on your Quallcomm saying your load has been accepted and will give you the entry number.
Pretty slick!

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
When I worked for FH, they are very good at minimizing driver paperwork, they want you to drive. Anyway they got on board with Transflow. You would scan you paperwork and it would be sent to FH. You didn't need to deal with customs brokers, They had a guy that did all that. You could scan it with your smart phone.

There is a feature with Canada customs that Customs will send a message on your Quallcomm saying your load has been accepted and will give you the entry number.
Pretty slick!
Most border service agencies will send an email or text message now with entry numbers.

Much better than waiting by a pay phone to call for an entry number

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Most border service agencies will send an email or text message now with entry numbers.

Buddy, You should have seen the days when you drove to the booth and the Customs guy would say, go see your broker. Well, no ****! What was the point of me stopping to talk to you? You could lip off like that before 911.
So yeah, you stood in line waiting at the broker. Then you stood in line to take brokers paperwork to customs. It was like standing before the MAN! Sorry this paperwork is not cleared. Go see your broker to fix this. And repeat.
On a good day you would be at customs for 2 hours, on a bad day, way longer! LTL you could have to go see as many brokers as you had shipments.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter

:thefinger:Livingston, I am I wrong or do they never get faxes? They ****ing suck as a brokerage!