Roaming charges for Canadian cell phone usage in U.S.

Davester

I just checked my Koodo cell phone for the charges if used in the United States... and found...

Voice rate (per minute)$1.50
Data$5/20 MB
Outgoing SMS$5/100 outgoing texts

Wow! Crazy expensive! What do most people do? Buy a U.S. phone for the states and 1 for Canada ? Anybody have a cellular enabled android tablet for Trucker's Path ? What are yas using ?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
My us based Verizon phone didn't cost me any special charges when I was Ontario last summer.

Hillbilly Canuck

I tried the x amount for whatever days thing my cell phone company offered then after a while figured it was cheaper just to get a prepaid U.S. phone.

nan

Supporter
Get a dual SIM phone and have your local number SIM in one slot and an AT&T SIM in the other.

AT&T is pretty good coverage and will save you from having to carry & manage two devices.

Or find a Canadian carrier with more USA friendly rates, if one exists.

krelithous

Supporter
I'll be looking into getting one of those!
you might want to check with your carrier up there and see if they offer unlimited plans that let you use your phones in the us and mexico like you do up there for one flat rate!!! i know i can bring my verizon phone up in canada or down in mexico and pay nothing extra!!!

krelithous

Supporter
Get a dual SIM phone and have your local number SIM in one slot and an AT&T SIM in the other.

AT&T is pretty good coverage and will save you from having to carry & manage two devices.

Or find a Canadian carrier with more USA friendly rates, if one exists.
AT&T has no service in northern maine so his phone would be useless in those areas i say for him to get a verizon phone since they do have service everywhere!!!

nan

Supporter
AT&T has no service in northern maine so his phone would be useless in those areas i say for him to get a verizon phone since they do have service everywhere!!!
Did he mention going to northern Maine? If so I missed it.

Verizon doesn't have service everywhere. They have dead zones too.

Hillbilly Canuck

you might want to check with your carrier up there and see if they offer unlimited plans that let you use your phones in the us and mexico like you do up there for one flat rate!!! i know i can bring my verizon phone up in canada or down in mexico and pay nothing extra!!!
Canadian carriers are ages behind. Normally, it's the US that doesn't seem to realize the rest of the world exists, and that people actually go there sometimes. However, when it comes to cell phones these twats take the cake.

nan

Supporter
Canadian carriers are ages behind. Normally, it's the US that doesn't seem to realize the rest of the world exists, and that people actually go there sometimes. However, when it comes to cell phones these twats take the cake.
Europe takes the lead for cheapness and coverage though. You can get a plan in Germany or whatever and be good from Spain to the Russian border.

Although I'm looking at my coverage terms and the way it reads, I can use it in Mexico and Canada as part of my unlimited. But I'm on prepaid and looking at the coverage map, they don't have anything lit up. So I dunno.

Davester

I found a Koodo feature called Easy Roam, when you turn it on, and use your device in the U.S. you get charged $8 per day upon each day's initial use.

The fine print somewhere reads maximum charge of $100 per month. That takes some of the fear away until I can get a Verizon or AT&T phone. Just thought I'd share. Thanks to everyone for all the info ! ! !

Last edited:

nan

Supporter
$8/day means I'm using the crap out of it. Lol.

Your provider sounds like a rip-off even by Canadian standards though.

Davester

I agree!, a little step better than what I initially saw though, if I didn't activate the easy roam I'd be paying

Voice rate (per minute)$1.50
Data$5/20 MB
Outgoing SMS$5/100 outgoing texts

Imagine the bill you'd receive if you didn't realize this?

nan

Supporter
You're missing the point. Shop around for an entirely different company with better terms.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Verizon doesn’t cost extra to use in Canada, but for me at least they only give you half a gig of hispeed data per day, then you can buy more or stay on low speed.
I have to figure out a easy way to pay the bill, been mailing in cheques so far