Road side service call NIGHTMARES

RamblingPete

Thread starter #1
This happened to me about a month ago and just kept forgetting to post it .
I got pulled into a Cali scale house for an inspection on the Nevada, Cali state line. My trailer brakes were out of adjustment . I don't mess with brakes on the truck ... maybe eventually I will but brakes were also last thing I started doing on my own on a car as well . Just I take the brakes extremely seriously. Anyway I was put out of service . I pulled around to parking and there was a service truck there . Not sure if I can say the name so I'll say their from Las Vegas Nevada and I-15 is in their name . First I pay the guy 150 out of my pocket to adjust the brakes . He does it , I go back through inspection . Inspector says now the brakes that were fine are now out of adjustment . He asked if guy was still around and he was , so the inspector says tell him only adjust rear axle . I dod and went back through . Inspector looks at me and says what is that guy doing . He fixed rear and knocked out the front again ... So I go back out . The guy said I needed new brakes o. Front axle . So I call boss and send him pics and in the end we pay the guy almost another 700 to replace brakes on front axle then I go back through inspection. The inspector comes out shaking his head and asks what I played that guy . I told him what I played and what the boss played.
Inspector told me to not give that guy another cent , released me from my out of service and told me to stop at the next shop to have someone competent adjust my brakes 😂
I mean this guy was doing so bad they just told me to go get the work done right .
This gets better . I got brakes properly adjusted , few days go by and I start feeling a vibration . Look in the mirror and DAMN I got a flat so I pull off on ramp . As I come to a stop I watch a lug shoot off into the road .
Every lug he put back on was loose and tore the hub and bearing up and the lugs on either side were coming loose .
All in in between me and my boss that guy cost us well over 2000 dollars for one set of brakes .

Just thought you all should be FORE warned and maybe you have some great campfire road service stories of your own 😎

GAnthony

Supporter
yeah, there are some would be mechanics out there. i think they can screw up a light bulb change.

as i am sure you are now aware, try finding a competent repair service next time. might be a great idea, on your time off (like your 34) to maybe get a state by state listing of repair shops, making sure they have good ratings. maybe "yelp" can help with that?

RamblingPete

Thread starter #3
Yeah... I've always been aware of that . It was just a simple break adjustment and the guy was already there finishing up a service call . It was just a matter of trying to keep moving and ... and well the guy was there . No what I mean .
But yeah that mistake won't happen again . Crazy thing is he torqued the lugs just enough so that they stayed tight for at least two days , that I'm sure because I checked them ... by hand but still checked . It was about 5 days later they all of a sudden starting loosening up . HOW THE HE'LL DO YOU DO THAT ? AND IT WAS ONLY LUGS ON THE AXLE HE CHANGEF BRAKES ON ... HOW THE HELL ? Was really weird . I would've said someone sabbatogef the truck but it's to coincidental.

GAnthony

Supporter
Yeah... I've always been aware of that . It was just a simple break adjustment and the guy was already there finishing up a service call . It was just a matter of trying to keep moving and ... and well the guy was there . No what I mean .
But yeah that mistake won't happen again . Crazy thing is he torqued the lugs just enough so that they stayed tight for at least two days , that I'm sure because I checked them ... by hand but still checked . It was about 5 days later they all of a sudden starting loosening up . HOW THE HE'LL DO YOU DO THAT ? AND IT WAS ONLY LUGS ON THE AXLE HE CHANGEF BRAKES ON ... HOW THE HELL ? Was really weird . I would've said someone sabbatogef the truck but it's to coincidental.
when ever any of my wheels are removed, i am told to come back in about 1-2 days for a re-torquing. road service is of course different, you have to get them re-checked asap, preferably at the very next truck stop. then again in about 2 more days. at least i would, and have done so.

it is tough to trust the torquing techniques of some garages or even the torque wrench, as no 2 are accurate.

Silverwolf

Holy cow that sucks. The whole reason I do my own work. As well as taking the 10 minutes it take to adjust brakes. Darn its easy, not sure how he can screw that up. I suspect he just played you for a set of brakes. If he told me I needed brakes I would have walked over and looked. 2 seconds could have saved you 2k. Not only that , if you needed new pads the inspector would have called you on it. Adjustment is not replace. You can adjust worn out brakes to pass. But hes gonna see the pads. Your mechanic ripped you off. Id take the time to learn the basics of the truck pre trip. which includes adjusting the brakes. THat way you wont be as easily scammed. Just a note. If my driver called and told me he paid a guy to adjust the brakes, Id tell him to leave the truck there and come get his final check. HEs fired.

Rigjockey

Long time running, well worth the wait!
Supporter
My horror story would be when I broke down in the winter. The mechanic was there in the typical 2 hours.
He figured that the fuel had gelled. Sounds legit.
I had diesel 911 and fuel filters with me so there was no problem there. He actually drove to his house to get a tool that he needed and came back.
I mean this guy not getting the truck going was not from a lack of determination and effort. 5 hours later he threw in the towel and called a wrecker out. they wrecker showed up about an hour later.
8 hours on the side of the road with no heat. I was absolutely frozen to the bone. I had warm clothes to put on but I figured any minute now he will have this thing running again.
I don't blame anybody. I am just saying damn it was a long time to be on the side of the road.

My horror story would be when I broke down in the winter. The mechanic was there in the typical 2 hours.
He figured that the fuel had gelled. Sounds legit.
I had diesel 911 and fuel filters with me so there was no problem there. He actually drove to his house to get a tool that he needed and came back.
I mean this guy not getting the truck going was not from a lack of determination and effort. 5 hours later he threw in the towel and called a wrecker out. they wrecker showed up about an hour later.
8 hours on the side of the road with no heat. I was absolutely frozen to the bone. I had warm clothes to put on but I figured any minute now he will have this thing running again.
I don't blame anybody. I am just saying damn it was a long time to be on the side of the road.
Winter is the worst for breakdowns. I had the alternator quit on me (company ride) at 2 am. Nobody is awake at the office, so I went inside the truck stop and tried to sleep in one of those big leather chairs. Got a boost around 7 am and an hour later he had the alternator swapped out.

Another time that truck broke down, I think the tensioner pulley, it was 22-2300. Said **** that I'm not sleeping in a chair again, booked a hotel room. Only the one taxi in town was 2-3 hours away. I ended up bumming a ride with a father daughter booze delivery service in a clapped out Blazer who wanted to show me the race track at midnight.

Another time that truck broke down, I said **** this and cabbed it to a licquor store to wait for the tow truck. Go walking back down the off ramp there's a tow truck in front of my truck, two troopers cruisers and two DOT crash trucks. Stuffed the booze in my jacket and kept walking. They were pissed I didn't have triangles out and hadn't called it in. They even tried to start it like I was lying about it being broken.Luckily they didn't tow me and my tow truck showed up pretty quick. Ended up in a motel again, bummed a ride from one of the shop mechanics, blaring Metallica at midnight while he's drinking a beer and having a smoke.

Yeah. Breakdowns are fun....

Rigjockey

Long time running, well worth the wait!
Supporter
Winter is the worst for breakdowns. I had the alternator quit on me (company ride) at 2 am. Nobody is awake at the office, so I went inside the truck stop and tried to sleep in one of those big leather chairs. Got a boost around 7 am and an hour later he had the alternator swapped out.

Another time that truck broke down, I think the tensioner pulley, it was 22-2300. Said **** that I'm not sleeping in a chair again, booked a hotel room. Only the one taxi in town was 2-3 hours away. I ended up bumming a ride with a father daughter booze delivery service in a clapped out Blazer who wanted to show me the race track at midnight.

Another time that truck broke down, I said **** this and cabbed it to a licquor store to wait for the tow truck. Go walking back down the off ramp there's a tow truck in front of my truck, two troopers cruisers and two DOT crash trucks. Stuffed the booze in my jacket and kept walking. They were pissed I didn't have triangles out and hadn't called it in. They even tried to start it like I was lying about it being broken.Luckily they didn't tow me and my tow truck showed up pretty quick. Ended up in a motel again, bummed a ride from one of the shop mechanics, blaring Metallica at midnight while he's drinking a beer and having a smoke.

Yeah. Breakdowns are fun....
Old school yo! I had an alternator crap out on me just before lansing, MI. on rout to Chicago. Working with a company that had 5 trucks, I was lucky one of our drivers was there too. I talked him into backing his trailer up the mine and giving me a push start.
The truck fired up and I kept it running while I slept until daylight. I was supposed to be in Chicago by daylight.
Anyway I delivered in Chicago and got her back to Toronto, Running in daylight with no alternator.

RDBG

I had a clearance light go out once and the wrecker took like.....

Seriously I haven't really had any woes like that since that time my first truck had to get the whole coolant tank replaced over a sensor inside it. The thing was lit up like a Christmas tree telling you coolant was low when even Stevie Wonder could see it was full. Did it give you a simple WARNING? No they saw best to set it up so such a warning would not allow the truck to run more than about 30 seconds at a time.