Regen time?

49players

How long should a manual regen take? I had def header, wiring harness, sensors, and dpf filter all replaced early last year. How long do these filters normally last? I haven't had a single problem until today my MIL light came on. I started a manual regen about 2 hours ago and just curious how long to wait. Not looking forward to another go around with shop.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
If you are waiting on a parked regen to finish after 2 hours, I would say that filter is plugged and you need to get it baked or replaced.
They should be good for a year.
Do you idle a lot?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
How long should a manual regen take? I had def header, wiring harness, sensors, and dpf filter all replaced early last year. How long do these filters normally last? I haven't had a single problem until today my MIL light came on. I started a manual regen about 2 hours ago and just curious how long to wait. Not looking forward to another go around with shop.
What truck and engine?

49players

2012 Cascadia with a Cummins. I do idle a little but all was replaced and truck didn't run for 3 of those months. I lost a motor and had a motor put in at Cummins

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
2012 Cascadia with a Cummins. I do idle a little but all was replaced and truck didn't run for 3 of those months. I lost a motor and had a motor put in at Cummins
How much time is on the new engine? Is the engine still under warranty? How much oil is it consuming?

Parked regens should take under an hour, and with the little time that is most likely on your engine it shouldn't be requiring a parked regen at all.

r3gulator3 r3gulator3 - got an opinion on this?

49players

69,000 miles and uses zero oil. Just out of the blue the light came on this morning. Cummins put the motor in so maybe I will get with them.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
69,000 miles and uses zero oil. Just out of the blue the light came on this morning. Cummins put the motor in so maybe I will get with them.
You're probably not generating excess soot then. It could certainly be something in the exhaust plumbing isn't working, or the doser valve.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Could be that they didn’t properly clean or replace the DOC/DPF when they replaced the engine. If there were any contaminates or if it was producing a lot of soot before it failed it could really foul up the aftertreatment System.

I have seen a forced regen (by technician laptop not dash switch) take upwards of 2 hours. But usually another problem causing it. Also ash counters may not have been reset if they did clean it.

Questions I have. Are you running PTO or straight up idling?

What was your previous engine failure?

That vintage of Cummins had an issue with carbon scraper rings that would take out liners and you would get massive amounts of blow by and oil out the exhaust.

49players

I idle a little since its getting warmer but none before just recently, I lost a crank at 360,000 and had a reman motor from Cummins swung in since they had an issue with carbon packing that year I was told. I am afraid its back to the shop I go. Do we ever catch a break?