rebuilding the 12.7

trk2992

anyone have a chronicle on a guy who rebuilt his 12.7 DD for the first time..?? pics,story etc..

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe I'm just a nut case, but for the expense of overhauling a 12.7, I might consider spending a little more money to drop a larger engine into the hood cavity. You can get a lot more out of a 15 liter than a 13 liter.

jetsr6

Ecu tune or a power box and that 12.7 will be plenty of power.
And good luck to the OP with the rebuild.

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
What if he forgot to mention that the engine's going on a trike? He wouldn't need to worry about not having enough power. :D

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I know of a guy who tried to do that with a Vulvo engine. Spent a s***load of money getting the ECM flashed and the engine never did run right after that.

The fact is, a 12.7 simply can not put out the kind of power the larger engine can produce. It's like using burros instead of mules.

jetsr6

Well I hope he's not going to be a heavy hauler (80000 plus).
Sure he can make more power with more liters. But he is building something he already has. And my point is there is more power if he wants with that 12.7.

jetsr6

Oh I only spent 1100 for a plug in power module. Adjustable 10-40% more power. For my little Volvo D12. And it turned into a beast. At 40% it's like 650HP's.
So I don't know about your buddy, but it sounds like he didn't know what he was doing.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Well I hope he's not going to be a heavy hauler (80000 plus).
Sure he can make more power with more liters. But he is building something he already has. And my point is there is more power if he wants with that 12.7.
Depends on how much power he wants. It embarrasses guys who think they're King Turd o' S*** Mountain when a Swift-tuned 14.7 Cummins under a full load walks away from their hot-rodded 12.7 going up Cabbage and they're grossing 65K. Can't tell ya how many times I've been sworn out and told I'm in the wrong lane. The independents who spent all their money on chrome and straight pipes with a little ECM tune get kind'a spooled up seeing a Swifty leave 'em coughing in the dust.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Oh I only spent 1100 for a plug in power module. Adjustable 10-40% more power. For my little Volvo D12. And it turned into a beast. At 40% it's like 650HP's.
So I don't know about your buddy, but it sounds like he didn't know what he was doing.
I have a friend who Kurt-Haney-ized his Puddy-Tat and puts 850 to the ground.

It's a 15.

AlexG

That detroit is worth rebuilding... in parts i think is like around $10k. My stepfather just rebuild his 2003 12.7 and my uncle has one in his Century.

The truth is that they lack torque but they have plenty of hp. For like 300 dollars you can set them up from 380-515 and a top speed of 90 mph. For making money i dont see why he would need more than that, now for having fun all the hp and smoke you can get its never enough.

Ill ask my stepfather layer how much did it cost im in parts and if you can find yourself a good independent mechanic i think they cahrge like 2500 for doing it after you get the parts.
If you go to a dealer is like 25-30k but youget warranty.

Southern Fried

Oh Hell..... pull it out and drop one of these things in......
Ain't nothing to match a good ol V12 Deeetroit wide open with straight pipes an 6 feet of flame coming off the stacks.

Yeeehawww an Hammer Down!!!!!! :yippee-1:

If I ever win the lottery I plan to put one of these old beasts together and then just tour around the country to truck shows and whatnot. For $20 I'll let you kids learn what it's like to be in a real truck. :biglaugh:

AlexG

Oh Hell..... pull it out and drop one of these things in......
Ain't nothing to match a good ol V12 Deeetroit wide open with straight pipes an 6 feet of flame coming off the stacks.

Yeeehawww an Hammer Down!!!!!! :yippee-1:

If I ever win the lottery I plan to put one of these old beasts together and then just tour around the country to truck shows and whatnot. For $20 I'll let you kids learn what it's like to be in a real truck. :biglaugh:
ARE YOU PLANNING ON MAKING A PRIVATE HOLE IN THE OZONE LAYER FOR YOURSELF??? :surprised: