Rand McNally GPS

dchawk81

Google map the street address, go to satellite view and find the truck entrance. They're pretty obvious... sometimes even have a truck waiting to conveniently mark it.

Drop a pin on it, maps returns a lat/long coordinate. Enter that in your GPS. Go straight to the unfamiliar truck entrance.
I've done that but my point is you gotta get there in the first place. GPS can help with that better than a paper map can. You can usually see the truck entrance once you get there anyway. It's usually the one labeled TRUCKS ENTER HERE.

I've also used satellite view to scope out the best way in for store deliveries.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've done that but my point is you gotta get there in the first place. GPS can help with that better than a paper map can. You can usually see the truck entrance once you get there anyway. It's usually the one labeled TRUCKS ENTER HERE.

I've also used satellite view to scope out the best way in for store deliveries.
You ain't payin' attention grasshopper...

dchawk81

You ain't payin' attention grasshopper...
Lol how do you figure, Methuselah?

I'm making my way around just fine using my methods. Can't get any faster. I've never wandered around in search of a place.

In the dark no less, unlike the supertruckers who clog up the stops all night because their headlights apparently don't work.

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Lol how do you figure, Methuselah?

I'm making my way around just fine using my methods. Can't get any faster. I've never wandered around in search of a place.

In the dark no less, unlike the supertruckers who clog up the stops all night because their headlights apparently don't work.
Nobody said anything about "paper." Only electrons.

quillcom

Speaking of google maps, the only thing I don't like about it is that it routes you through an exit or on ramps like.........."take exit 5a, continue on exit 5a for 3 quarters of a mile." Really !

RamblingPete

Well I upgraded from my trusty Atlas and Google maps . Got a TND 740 yesterday morning. Still setting up the new features , like live traffic and weather . Only just figured out how to securely tether my phone as a hotspot to it .
When running a regular route or fairly small region the Atlas and Google maps were great . But running coast to coast and on tight schedules it's easier to Program a GPS , quick cross reference with Atlas and be done with it in minute or two instead of 30 minutes or more planning and writing down directions . Then there's always the great episodes of going into a town , like say ... Laredo TX and half the street signs are missing so you have no idea where you are . In those cases at least the Truck GPS unlike Google maps , USUALLY, will at least keep me on the legal roads .
See how it goes . Gonna buy a micro SD card so I can start saving addresses of regular customers without eating up internal space .
As a side note . Heat is electronics worst enemy . If you can set your GPS up either high on windshield or somewhere low on dashboard, where it's still easy to see that will preserve it's life and relieve some of your issues . Fact is every day on the windshield it gets lots of sun exposure. Don't know why GPSs haven't been made with white backs to reflect some of the sun light that is constantly beating on them but the longer their exposed to constant sunlight and defroster ( or heat , don't mount in front of your heater vent either . ) the more malfunctions it will have .

RamblingPete

:tease::scared::scared::scared:
You don't have 30 minutes to spare on a coast to coast trip?
Nope LOL
You know how it is sometimes though . Have 3 hours to get to the shipper 3 hours away ... Nice to let someone else do some of the thinking while I stress all the other obstacles

dchawk81

Nope LOL
You know how it is sometimes though . Have 3 hours to get to the shipper 3 hours away ... Nice to let someone else do some of the thinking while I stress all the other obstacles
I get you there. Lol.

I use mine all the time for new customers. Chances are even if it's a cockamamie way to get there, at least it gets me there. And if I'm late I can blame the company provided system. 😁

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Nope LOL
Don't let it do too much of yer thinkin'... you might end up on th' 11 o'clock news!

:eek-64:

RamblingPete

It seems pretty good so far . Gonna wipe my spare mini sd ( 32gb ) then put it in to expand the memory and next week I'm replacing this crappy phone I'm using , gonna get my Galaxy back . Then I can tether it for weather and live time traffic . Then I will decide if it was really worth the 300 bucks or not . If the traffic and weather work right then I'll be happy . Sure occasionally the addresses get messed up but even Google maps do to . . . Has alot to do with municipalities updating addresses for their 911 systems. Sometimes it takes awhile for the maps to catch up .

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Sure occasionally the addresses get messed up but even Google maps do to . . . Has alot to do with municipalities updating addresses for their 911 systems. Sometimes it takes awhile for the maps to catch up .
Some of that has to do with shippers and receivers providing the mailing address instead of the physical municipality their street address is located in.

arbiz

Hey guys,
I was looking for a good GPS app on Android, I tried them all until I crossed NavMeTo Truck which was released recently. It was refreshing compared to the other apps, very google maps way but for truckers.
Did anyone had experience with it? Is the map data is accurate across the US?

Updated my tnd530 today while at the shipper. One of the updates said “routing improvements.

I’m in Benton Tennessee. Destination, Grand Prairie, TX.

Two simple routes for this trip. Go to Chattanooga, then either drop south down to Birmingham and across 20, or run across 24 and catch 40 and run across that way.

Both routes approximately 850 miles. All interstate from Cleveland, TN.

Rand McNally has a great idea. Hop onto US72 and run that crap from South Pittsburgh, TN, all across Alabama and Mississippi, to Memphis, then grab 40. Only 830 miles instead of the 850 for the only two common sense routes available.

And yeah, it’s set for the fastest route.

What’s worse? I ignore it, of course. Down in Alabama on 59, and it’s still trying to reroute me back up to US72.
I wouldve ran 59 to Birmingham and 20 across..

I-40 in Tennesee suck...mostly 4 lanes and very heavily traveled ..

Arkansas on I-40 is terrible too especially from West Memphis to Little Rock..