Rand mcnally 530 gps

em1984

I purchased one of these the other day and I'm pretty sure I'm going to return it. It seems to take me down roads I probably shouldn't be on. Doesn't seem to be very user friendly. Or maybe I'm just dumb. Does anyone else use on of these or have a suggestion for a better one?

Mike

Staff member
I use it, seems ok to me. I think they will all send you down some pretty insane roads if you let them. Always verify.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I use the 730.

It sent me down us259 to Houston out of ft Smith AR today.

I kind of figured what I was in for. It was a nice drive.

Nice to know I won't be doing that again.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
I purchased one of these the other day and I'm pretty sure I'm going to return it. It seems to take me down roads I probably shouldn't be on. Doesn't seem to be very user friendly. Or maybe I'm just dumb. Does anyone else use on of these or have a suggestion for a better one?
I use a Rand McNally not sure what model but I run it side by side with a Garmin..."seems if one drops off the other has it"....

Anyhow em1984 em1984 a few things to know about Rand McNally GPS....

While " functional " it's "quarky" ....

Often the GPS doesn't hone the FIX is to pull the plug and plug it back in....

About twice a week it will completely "Freeze Up" .....remove unit from holder and take a ball point pen and hit the reset button on back....

You'll have to re program your settings to your tastes each time....

As for "sketchy" roads and dicey situations use your Eyeballs and COMMON SENSE....

If it don't LOOK "RIGHT" then proceed on safe road till ya can pull off Safely and check maps or let it re route ya another way....

Also check the ROAD ATLAS prior to taking off because sometimes GPS will send ya down side roads because it's shorter distance but the Freeway is "quicker" usually

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Oh another thing about those Rand McNally GPS....

Ya gotta go into Settings and shut off the "Warnings" or every little curve or speed change it will start talking...

Worse many of these warnings come just before a turn or interchange ramp and block the screen..

Use your EYES ...read the signs and Pay Attention ...I don't need a WARNING for every little rut in the road

Not sure about you folks but that just Annoys the "BLEEP" outta me

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Talimena Scenic Dr

Google Maps

My little excursion the other day.

US 259 going south out of ft Smith AR to broken bow OK.

Yeah, the first "indicator" was the scenic byway road description on the GPS.

It was daylight and I had the time.

Mike

Staff member
Talimena Scenic Dr

Google Maps

This road is what constantly kills my fuel mileage numbers. I haul scrap paper from Bentonville, AR down to Valliant, OK, then I often haul rolls of paper from Valliant back up to Fort Smith, or some destination that sends me up 259 so I can take the load home.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I got 5.8 mpg with 44,000 in the box.

Ft Smith to Houston.

I'd love to see team runsmart's numbers running that road.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Talimena Scenic Dr

Google Maps

Some runs when I got the "extra" time I take the 2 LANES....

Gets "monotonous" running the same Stretches of Interstate every time

Mike

Staff member
I got 5.8 mpg with 44,000 in the box.

Ft Smith to Houston.

I'd love to see team runsmart's numbers running that road.
This is just the computer on the dash (which is really close). From Bentonville to Valliant (down 49 through the Bostom mtns. into Fort Smith, and down 359 into broken bow and over to Valliant, I can actually manage as high as 7.5. Not all the time, but sometimes. Worst I have done on a round trip from Bentonville down to Valliant, and back home (Park truck a mile from house in Bentonville), I've done no worse than 6.5, which was actually this week thanks to constantly fighting wind along the way, and a clogged fuel filter that I had to stop and change in Alma, LOL. I typically average right around 7 on that round trip though, heavy both ways, and absolutely no empty miles.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, that's a cool drive for a truck.

Keep in mind, though, in Idaho, it's really easy to get onto a restricted road you'll need a permit to be on. Not that $42 per year is going to change how far the trailer off-tracks...

(Not saying you don't know what you're doing.. You were perfectly fine where you were. I'm putting this out there for some newer people who don't know about Idaho's permit requirements.)

This is a PDF map:
http://www.itd.idaho.gov/dmv/poe/documents/Extra.pdf

Idaho Transportation Department

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Lewiston dot bear put me out of service three years ago because the timestamp on my over length permit did not match what my logbook said. In the end I won against the state because I was able to prove the system clock was wrong for the DOT computer.

Idaho is one of those states that can quickly bite you if not careful.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Idaho, Oregon, new Mexico, new York(HUT sticker was over turned) were all regular purchases along with irp, ucr and ifta.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
make sure in the settings, you chose truck.

makes a world of difference over if the setting was for car.