Ram trucks rusting out.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
hey @Mike , do you have the Ram v-6 pick up truck?

if so, are you seeing any rust around the rear wheel wells?

i have seen a few in my area, and these trucks are not that old, and they are showing signs of rust, at that area.

they are also showing signs of rust at the rear of the bed, at the lower fender area, close to the rear bumper.

i do not "see" where it is due to the salts we use, as i see older chevy, and ford, and toyota, and nissan trucks of close to the same age, holding up well.

is there some sort of panel separation going on at the weld points in these areas??

i am even seeing newish other dodge SUV vehicles displaying rust in the wheel wells.

Last edited:

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
Dodge has been known for rust for YEARS though anyway. All trucks are notorious on the beds but yeah Dodge is special.
Add ford and Chevy in there too. The only reason Ford came off the list is because they went to all aluminum body’s.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Dodge has always been known to rust. The Chrysler plant down the road from me builds the 300, Charger and the Challenger, They actually dip the shell of the cars so I wonder if that makes any difference as far as rusting.

Last edited:

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
Dodge has always been known to rust. The Chrysler plant down the road from builds the 300, Charger and the Challenger, They actually dip the shell of the cars so I wonder if that makes any difference as far as rusting.
Yep it's rust proofing.

Proof that it'll rust. 😂

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Wasn't aware a Dodge truck even ran long enough to reach the point of rusting out.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

When I get home I will SHOW YOU my advanced wheel well cancer on my 2003 1500 Ram with the 5.9 V8, thank you!

AND the crack in the windshield...and he other chips...

And the receipt for the 85% rebuild I got through MOPAR when I bought it and the cylinder was scored...

And the topper hatch at the back that doesn’t fully close anymore...

...and the receipt for the O2 sensor I just had replaced...

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

@Keendriver likes Dodge too! In fact he’s probably had to stop eating twinkies in order to fit under his and fix it!

DODGE!!!!

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
Ironically the 1985 Dodge van sitting at my dad's house that hasn't moved in several years has less rust than these "new" Dodge trucks.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Ironically the 1985 Dodge van sitting at my dad's house that hasn't moved in several years has less rust than these "new" Dodge trucks.
they must not be dipping the shells in the rust preventative as long as other makers do, or like anything else, maybe it's "watered down"....

this might be a good situation to have independant rust proofing applied rather that at a dealership.

and i do not mean under coating. the main principle on that, was to cut down on the noise from pebbles hitting the inner wheel wells, or under body. if anyone were to watch, Graveyard Carz on Velocity, when they under coat a restored car to factory specs, that's all they spray, not every nook and cranny. you will clearly see not all of the underside is under coated...

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I tend to just avoid Dodge altogether. In fact I avoided all trucks for years because of bed and cab corner rust. When the aluminum Fords came out that's when I decided yep that is my truck.

If Chevy or Dodge or even Toyota or Nissan had done it first, that's what I'd have parked outside instead.

I saw way too many still-financed trucks with rust issues to get into that myself.