Questions to healthy company truck drivers only and especially those who don't smoke.

Mike

Staff member
TruckingTruth.com, which Google. Read High Road Training there.

Following the wisdom from training eliminates stupidity and saves truckers' lives. Treat and a respect a truck as a loaded gun, a high-voltage power line or a whitewater river and you will do fine.
They are filling you full of crap.

JohnPrestonBailey

I don't know. My OP was asking about living a healthy lifestyle in spite of being in a transportation job full time anyway. I want to know about how health-conscious professional company drivers manage to stay fit and healthy in their vocation in spite of sitting in a cab for long hours days and years. Somebody who is a soldier or a carpenter for a living obviously does not have such a sedentary lifestyle. Truck drivers who care about their health, I would think, need to have a religious PT (physical training) regimen in their daily living habits. I wish mega-carrier company policy would promote trucker fitness. Mentally-and-physically-fit drivers should also be much safer over our nation's highways.

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
The job, holding a steering wheel for 10-11 hours a day, just doesn't allow for exercise. I mean, you can. Quite often you'll be able to squeeze in a few minutes to go jog around the truck stop, breathing in all that diesel exhaust and stuff. But you can't make a daily thing of it cuz you never know where you'll end up or what your schedule is going to be like.

JohnPrestonBailey

I like the notion of semi-truck-accessible gyms. I would become a paid member as a professional driver if they were widely available all over the nation's truck routes. I would probably put in a lot of gym time during my 34.
It sounds like Schneider might be my company if they promote driver health and fitness. No, I don't like diesel fumes.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Planet fitness membership 10/mo. A lot of them are in places you can sneak a truck to. Or you could park close to and walk or Uber to the gym. We have several drivers that do this. Also; if you don’t want to do that, jump rope at Walmart 15$ resistance bands 15$. For $30 you got a gym in the truck.

nan

Supporter
One reason I like local/intermodal is you're dropping and hooking all night so you might drive a couple hours then you're walking around the truck and trailer, cranking landing gear, etc. Rinse and repeat.

It isn't a full workout by any means but it definitely helps. Especially if you do it quickly to get your heart rate up.

I try to power walk around and crank quickly. Not only is it healthier than waddling but you're in and out faster to make more money.

r3gulator3

Supporter
One reason I like local/intermodal is you're dropping and hooking all night so you might drive a couple hours then you're walking around the truck and trailer, cranking landing gear, etc. Rinse and repeat.

It isn't a full workout by any means but it definitely helps. Especially if you do it quickly to get your heart rate up.

I try to power walk around and crank quickly. Not only is it healthier than waddling but you're in and out faster to make more money.
That’s why I love tarping. It gets my heart rate up. I lift heavy **** a few times.

JohnPrestonBailey

Planet fitness membership 10/mo. A lot of them are in places you can sneak a truck to. Or you could park close to and walk or Uber to the gym. We have several drivers that do this. Also; if you don’t want to do that, jump rope at Walmart 15$ resistance bands 15$. For $30 you got a gym in the truck.
No, I don't want to live in a cramped cab as if it were a house. Your sleeper berth is NEVER a house!! I want to use spacious buildings nearby my routes to do a certain amount of my living on the road. I want to interact with people while working out too. Actually, I want to spend as much personal time AWAY from the damn truck as possible. The rig's not my wife, my mother's womb or my siamese twin brother. Hiring Uber everyday just jacks up the cost of living on the road. I want to put as much of my driver salary in the bank as possible and apply it toward a new house of my own someday. The weather will not always be favorable for doing physical fitness workouts out of doors anyway. In extreme heat and cold, I need to work out in a spacious climate-controlled building as a gym. I want to stay fit on the job but keep cost of living to the minimum at the same time. I should not sacrifice my health or old-age nest age pushing a rig. I don't want to drive a rig for 5 or 10 years and end as poor as when I started. It defeats the whole purpose.

I want at least 50% of my net annual income to go into long-term savings. I don't want live paycheck to paycheck.

I might spend Uber money on a trip to the gym once a week during my weekly 34 session.

I want to be a dry-van or reefer mega-carrier OTR driver for 5 otr 10 years then take a dispatch or management position with the firm and enjoy all the home time that entails.

Last edited:

r3gulator3

Supporter
No, I don't want to live in a cramped cab as if it were a house. Your sleeper berth is NEVER a house!! I want to use spacious buildings nearby my routes to do a certain amount of my living on the road. I want to interact with people while working out too. Actually, I want to spend as much personal time AWAY from the damn truck as possible. The rig's not my wife, my mother's womb or my siamese twin brother. Hiring Uber everyday just jacks up the cost of living on the road. I want to put as much of my driver salary in the bank as possible and apply it toward a new house of my own someday. The weather will not always be favorable for doing physical fitness workouts out of doors anyway. In extreme heat and cold, I need to work out in a spacious climate-controlled building as a gym. I want to stay fit on the job but keep cost of living to the minimum at the same time. I should not sacrifice my health or old-age nest age pushing a rig. I don't want to drive a rig for 5 or 10 years and end as poor as when I started. It defeats the whole purpose.

I might spend Uber money on a trip to the gym once a week during my weekly 34 session.

I want to be a dry-van or reefer mega-carrier OTR driver for 5 otr 10 years then take a dispatch or management position with the firm and enjoy all the home time that entails.
Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean that other people can’t find the advice useful. The problem is, people try to turn this into a 9-5 and trucking is not that. It’s a way of life if you do OTR so suck it up buttercup. You wanna pull for a mega and make money. Get used to living in the truck.

JohnPrestonBailey

Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean that other people can’t find the advice useful. The problem is, people try to turn this into a 9-5 and trucking is not that. It’s a way of life if you do OTR so suck it up buttercup. You wanna pull for a mega and make money. Get used to living in the truck.
A man who wants to remain physically fit is no buttercup.

Get used to living in the truck, the rolling jail cell?

r3gulator3

Supporter
Also, when I was in the military, all PT was outside, rain snow or shine so I don’t feel bad for people who use the weather as an excuse to skip a workout that “they want to do”.

if it’s important to you, you will make time, and money for it to happen one way or another.

JohnPrestonBailey

Does local/intermodal make as much money annually for drivers as full-time OTR mega freight? I like the idea that it gives the driver more physical activity and allows the legs to be stretched out periodically to regain their circulation.