Questions about becoming a driver.

undecided

I've been planning on becoming a driver for a little while and have been in the process of finishing one job before making the switch. I've seen some things that are making me question whether doing this would be a good idea, or if I'm taking some of the claims seen on line too seriously (and yes, I know you shouldn't believe much you see on line without verifying it). The "trucking apocalypse" and other Uber like approaches to the business, the slow downs due to trade wars combined with the prospect of another recession are all making me want to get some more opinions before I do anything. Is this a good time to start driving? I've already got a company and training picked out and feel confident that if things don't change too much for the worse I should be fine, and my health and drivers record are fine. What kind of advice would the experienced drivers give me?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've been planning on becoming a driver for a little while and have been in the process of finishing one job before making the switch. I've seen some things that are making me question whether doing this would be a good idea, or if I'm taking some of the claims seen on line too seriously (and yes, I know you shouldn't believe much you see on line without verifying it). The "trucking apocalypse" and other Uber like approaches to the business, the slow downs due to trade wars combined with the prospect of another recession are all making me want to get some more opinions before I do anything. Is this a good time to start driving? I've already got a company and training picked out and feel confident that if things don't change too much for the worse I should be fine, and my health and drivers record are fine. What kind of advice would the experienced drivers give me?
Any time is a good time to get into trucking. There's no doubt computerized load boards will affect the industry, but not from a driver's standpoint. Automated trucks will be here at some point in the future, but its obvious that a near term demise of drivers jobs just isn't in the cards.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
just do it, you can always get out.

r3gulator3

Professional mFinG Asshole-ee-0
Supporter
This industry fluctuates. I like to refer to it as riding the wave. You hustle and make money while it’s there and manage your stuff so when it gets a little slow you can compensate with savings so it’s not so tight. I work for TMC Transportation, we have enough contracted freight to stay fairly busy when everyone else is falling off. People still worked consistently during the 2008 recession. My checks have been very consistent for the last 2.75 years. There are times where the money is really really good (the wave is high) and times where I make what I consider an average paycheck (wave Low) but this is an industry where you have to take good with bad at times.

If your MVR and Health are good I say go for it. Advice, listen to old hands (truckers who been doing it a while) while yes your gonna get some stories full of bullshit you will also learn tips and tricks to make life in the road easier. I also recommend working a job that pays percentage of gross instead of CPM because it usually works in your favor. There are often times I make .75 per mile or better because I get a percentage of gross as opposed to the .53 CPM I would be making.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Trucking is kinda recession proof. Sure it gets slow but there is always work.
People are going to point to 2008 when drivers actually got laid-off, but that was the "Great Recession". It was an anomaly.

There are many sectors of trucking. Find a niche that is recession proof and you will be safe.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
It was doom and gloom when I started five years ago too.

Honestly, don't listen to anyone who drives. They're all full of sh*t in one way or another.

I'm no exception.

Gdjjr

Wall Street in recession doesn't mean Main Street is in recession- it just depends on where your Main Street is- people still have to eat and buy crap they don't need- they will find a way- food and crap they don't need still have to get to retail (and wholesale) places- most of it won't fit in a car- LOL

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Wall Street in recession doesn't mean Main Street is in recession- it just depends on where your Main Street is- people still have to eat and buy crap they don't need- they will find a way- food and crap they don't need still have to get to retail (and wholesale) places- most of it won't fit in a car- LOL
I dont get all this Wall Street "recession" talk..

Undestand that on a Market running 26/27K a 600/800 point "swing" is just a day of "trading"..

Now 20 years ago a market pushing 10K that wouldve been a 20/25% percent "evaporation"..

Even in the deep depths of the Housing Crash of 2008 the 700 somiething drop while smaller...still holds a bigger "decline" record

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I dont get all this Wall Street "recession" talk..

Undestand that on a Market running 26/27K a 600/800 point "swing" is just a day of "trading"..

Now 20 years ago a market pushing 10K that wouldve been a 20/25% percent "evaporation"..

Even in the deep depths of the Housing Crash of 2008 the 700 somiething drop while smaller...still holds a bigger "decline" record
There’s something larger going on

undecided

Advice, listen to old hands (truckers who been doing it a while) while yes your gonna get some stories full of bullshit you will also learn tips and tricks to make life in the road easier.
Thanks for all the advice, I do plan on listening to all that I can get while working to separate the good from the bad. There's no shortage of advice on the internet, and I figured this would be a good place to get advice from people who actually knew what they were talking about.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
Thanks for all the advice, I do plan on listening to all that I can get while working to separate the good from the bad. There's no shortage of advice on the internet, and I figured this would be a good place to get advice from people who actually knew what they were talking about.
Nah nobody knows what they're talking about here. We're all winging it.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Here as long as ya "listening"...

Starting out expect "minimum wage" then lowball 27/30 cents per mile

After a year or two ya can work yourelf up to 34/37 cents per mile actually last gig was 44cpm and that was "with" expirience

Do ya love "Chicago" and I hope ya Do cause ya gonna $pend "alot" of time "unpaid" just sitting and idling through rush hour

Even if ya leave at 2am dont worry some freaky wreck rollover, high speed chase, n oftentimes just I-DOT shutting down half the lanes not even doing "squat"

Oh that "layover" pay program...

Ah sure they said 50 or 75 bucks at "orientation"..

Get your check find out its $25 bucks ...even worse yet "0"

Better have a "Dental Degree" cause ya gonna need a skinny pliers and walk into the office like ya mean "buisness"...

Or just keep a "ledger" ..take a cheap note pad write every mile , the date , etcettera

Go in with your "records" and check stub..threaten to "quit"

A "decent" place will "make" it right next paychek..

Other half will give ya some BS "line" about Practical Miles and that was only "overnight" layover..

Again go back to the yard "I" QUIT

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Very true! the markets are not the economy, A drop in the markets is not a drop in the economy, Just a play by play of what the investors are doing.
Economy quarterly reports are only history and not what the economy is doing currently.
I wish @dave350 was here.

r3gulator3

Supporter
This message board has been a valuable resource to me. Started here a couple months before I went to TMC. I left an 85k a year job to do this because I hated it. And In not even three years time I am almost back to making that. I love what I do. I wake up 3 ft away from my office in places I never been and I get to see the most beautiful scenery that people have to pay to take vacation to. What more could one ask for?

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
This message board has been a valuable resource to me. Started here a couple months before I went to TMC. I left an 85k a year job to do this because I hated it. And In not even three years time I am almost back to making that. I love what I do. I wake up 3 ft away from my office in places I never been and I get to see the most beautiful scenery that people have to pay to take vacation to. What more could one ask for?
You could have woken up 3 feet from your office as a mechanic too if you slept at work. Sheesh. 😏

As for scenery: Peterbilt dealership.

r3gulator3

Supporter
You could have woken up 3 feet from your office as a mechanic too if you slept at work. Sheesh. 😏

As for scenery: Peterbilt dealership.
I am referring to the landscape, not the inside of the truck. Sheesh. I did slee in the break room at one shop a couple times. But that’s a whole different conversation.

Latest posts