Questioning the value of an APU.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
So, assuming a 5 year, 600k full blown warranty on the truck ( I would be selling and buying a new one again at the 5 year mark), the APU might not be a smart financial purchase.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the convenience of an APU.
That warranty doesn't cover revenue lost while in the shop does it? IMO, you're just asking for trouble idling one of these trucks.

Mike

Staff member
mndriver mndriver

Better than last time you seen it? New top was $127.00. Plus some hardware, and also got the cooling fan riveted back in securely because a couple of them popped loose.

Cleaned out my bunk heater while he was there as well, got a ton of carbon out of it.

Also introduced me to a filter I didn’t know existed. A screen filter on the APU that was plugged up and totally black. Took it out and cleaned it up real well. Oil change places don’t touch it, obviously.

I’m broke, but my APU looks good again

Mike

Staff member
You might want to think about it... it gets worse over time, and acts as an increasing restriction that lowers fuel economy.
If I didn’t get an APU, I would still have a bunk heater and opti-idle. Leaning that direction if I end up with a new truck anytime soon. Not too much of the year that I need the A/C.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
If I didn’t get an APU, I would still have a bunk heater and opti-idle. Leaning that direction if I end up with a new truck anytime soon. Not too much of the year that I need the A/C.
That little black box needs as much attention, if not a little more, than the big engine.

But it's also a ton cheaper than the issues the emissions will cost you from idling.

Anything with EPA10 or newer emissions, this is a must on as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

Staff member
That little black box needs as much attention, if not a little more, than the big engine.

But it's also a ton cheaper than the issues the emissions will cost you from idling.

Anything with EPA10 or newer emissions, this is a must on as far as I'm concerned.
I wouldn’t be concerned about the long-term Issues because I wouldn’t be keeping it past warranty. Five years and I would get another truck.

Ranger_375

No reason to have the newest APU. The only major differences between my Gen 1 Tripac and an Evolution is that the Evo has a different fuel pump and more electronics to fail. And that's per the long time TK techs that got my APU fixed here in Columbia last night.

Of course, I am concerned that my APU wasn't cooperating because it was over 80 yesterday. Not getting over 60 this weekend. At least it cycles now that the arctic switch is replaced.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
We can debate it if you like, lol.

Idling the truck will require more regens, which will also shorten the life of the DPF filter.

So, in 5 years of having a new truck, how much extra cost in DPF maintenance would you estimate?

Becuse the APU is going to cost $12k or maybe more, plus the additional cost of maintenance for that APU. And in my case with this APU, alternator #3. Let’s just say about $1200 in alternators assuming no labor costs. PM once or twice a year, depending on how much you run it.
TMC will tell you, you will spend less in repairs than the cost of an APU and maintaining the APU. I honestly don’t know.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
mndriver mndriver

View attachment 48362

Better than last time you seen it? New top was $127.00. Plus some hardware, and also got the cooling fan riveted back in securely because a couple of them popped loose.

Cleaned out my bunk heater while he was there as well, got a ton of carbon out of it.

Also introduced me to a filter I didn’t know existed. A screen filter on the APU that was plugged up and totally black. Took it out and cleaned it up real well. Oil change places don’t touch it, obviously.

I’m broke, but my APU looks good again

It would be worth it IMHO, to have u it removed and installed on the new truck.

The company I started with in 2011 would cross mount their Apu every 3 years when they traded in their lease trucks.

Last edited:

brdhntr

Alternators often fail due to bad batteries. Also poor connections can cause a heavy load on an alternator. I would guess your issue is somewhere else in the system and not in the alternator.