Question on Owner Operator with Truck and CDL and no experience

TheronSalady

Hello,

I'm a former general contractor and have 400,000 dollars in my bank account. I'm 44. I have done well financially, but want a change. My wife works as a registered nurse. I want a career change. Have you ever heard of the following scenario and even if you haven't, can this be done.......

I am about to start my CDL training because I want a career change and have always wanted to drive a truck. My dad drove and I had many ride a longs and loved it and I never got board. I want to get my CDL, then purchase a truck and trailer with cash the same day I graduate, then apply for my MC/DOT own authority, and I know, insurance would be through the roof and the waiting time for my own authority could be quite a bit.. But, I can afford 30,000 or so in insurance for the first year on the truck easily. What do you think? Is this possible? I know, it's risky as heck without driving experience other than CDL (driving school), but is it possible? I do NOT want to lease on to a carrier or contract with a company or carrier. Is the scenario I'm talking about above possible? Can it be done? Has anyone ever heard of this?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
There was an engineer that used to be on the forum that did what you are discussing.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I'd think finding commercial truck insurance would be hard, followed by anyone willing to risk their freight on your truck.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Curious how many times you want to ask the same questions.

TheronSalady

Curious how many times you want to ask the same questions
Well, it shouldn't make you "curious." But since you asked, I wanted to ask the question 1 time. I accidentally posted my question in the trucking regulations forum instead of the new driver forum where I intended for it to be initially. I also made this clear when I posted the question in the correct forum and apologized for the double post (and I think you know that). Therefore, the answer to your question is...…...1. I also have the info I need and thanks to everyone for the comments and info.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Curious how many times you want to ask the same questions.

@R3gulator

Or other mod.

Can these two be combined?