Purchasing DEF Fluid in bulk form Walmart?

GAnthony

Supporter
Penske supplies us with all the DEF we need, for free.
but when i had to buy it, usually at the truck stop it was about the price walmart has it for.

if i owned a truck and a garage, then i suppose the 55 gallon barrel will do. but in time, what will you do with all those 55 gallon barrels? i am not sure it can be recycled or easily dumped.

dchawk81

$2.475 a gallon.

Pump price is something around $2.799 I believe.

So you save about 32¢ a gallon.

Is it really worth the hassle when these trucks don't really squirt much?

I dunno.

Mike

Staff member
$2.475 a gallon.

Pump price is something around $2.799 I believe.

So you save about 32¢ a gallon.

Is it really worth the hassle when these trucks don't really squirt much?

I dunno.
How many gallons a week do you go through? Easy enough to find out how much per year would be saved. If he has multiple trucks, it can add up fairly quick.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
How long does DEF last before it gets questionable in quality? Those systems are so picky and problematic.

GAnthony

Supporter
How long does DEF last before it gets questionable in quality? Those systems are so picky and problematic.
i "think" this is why our DEF tanks have a heater in them?

i was told that when the ignition key is off, the DEF tank heater is still on, albeit at a lower voltage?

doesn't the DEF fluid crystallize over time?

this is why (at times) my buddies truck had to be flushed out, the heater was not working properly, Penske thought he was shutting off the master disconnect switch by the drivers door. we were all told NOT to shut that off, no matter what.

when we had to buy or DEF at whatever truck stop we bought maybe one that was needed that night, and at times, a second jug to keep with us, "in case of bad weather" and we couldn't get to the truck stop. the the truck stop, installed DEF pumps.

however now, we get onsite fueling, and that fueling truck, has a DEF compartment as well. i do not know the costs of the fuel or DEF, that's above my pay grade, as the company gets the bill.

dchawk81

How many gallons a week do you go through? Easy enough to find out how much per year would be saved. If he has multiple trucks, it can add up fairly quick.
Yeah he'd have to answer that for himself.

dchawk81

i "think" this is why our DEF tanks have a heater in them?

i was told that when the ignition key is off, the DEF tank heater is still on, albeit at a lower voltage?

doesn't the DEF fluid crystallize over time?

this is why (at times) my buddies truck had to be flushed out, the heater was not working properly, Penske thought he was shutting off the master disconnect switch by the drivers door. we were all told NOT to shut that off, no matter what.

when we had to buy or DEF at whatever truck stop we bought maybe one that was needed that night, and at times, a second jug to keep with us, "in case of bad weather" and we couldn't get to the truck stop. the the truck stop, installed DEF pumps.

however now, we get onsite fueling, and that fueling truck, has a DEF compartment as well. i do not know the costs of the fuel or DEF, that's above my pay grade, as the company gets the bill.
It certainly does crystalize but I don't think it takes long. Spill some on your stuck and see how much time goes by before it's white and powdery. I think it's basically screwed once it hits air.

GAnthony

Supporter
It certainly does crystalize but I don't think it takes long. Spill some on your stuck and see how much time goes by before it's white and powdery. I think it's basically screwed once it hits air.
what da hell is a stuck..????

GAnthony

Supporter
Obviously you're not a supertrucker or you'd know that. 🙄

😂
uh...nooo...i'm an old fart, nearing closer each day to retirement. and when i lift my cane to my ear, i still can't hear.....but i can smell the ocean....

Thread starter #12
So I went ahead and ordered it, my neighbor went in half with me. Thanks again for the feedback :):):)

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
So I went ahead and ordered it, my neighbor went in half with me. Thanks again for the feedback :):):)
Well there ya go! Splitting it with your neighbor makes good sense, so it is not sitting around so long.:thumbsup: