Resource icon

Product Review: Hot Shots Secret Stiction Eliminator

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
mndriver submitted a new resource:

Product Review: Hot Shots Secret Stiction Eliminator - Hot Shots Secret, Stiction, Eliminator, Rough idle, Power, Injector, Cleaning

The Original Stiction Eliminator - Hot Shot's Secret

No, I am NOT selling this stuff. I just used it. Always felt like there was an issue with my truck and couldn't really place my finger on it.

The way it started,

Cold start idle was rough,

random fuel mileage

a full power stutter

and a couple other things. I even had a couple places tell me it's the way I drive it. Right.

Background:
I bought the truck in July...
Read more about this resource...

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
So this stuff costs $110 a gallon.

:confused-96:

Your truck better resemble a Saturn V at launch...

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
$120 per gallon is cheap compared to a couple hours of diagnostic time with a shop at $105/hour or more.

$4,000 to replace a set of injectors that MIGHT not be bad.......

Especially when an engine has no crank case pressure or blow-by. And doesn't use any oil at all between oil changes. It will start to go down on the dipstick somewhere in the 17,000-20,000 mile range and when it does, I just change the oil at a couple places I trust on the road.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Have you ever replaced the crankshaft vibration damper? The silicone in those things will turn to rock after 500 - 750,000 miles. That might solve some of your problems without resorting to jungle juice.

o_O

Putting a six pack of injectors in might not be a bad idea either, at your next overhead.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Have you ever replaced the crankshaft vibration damper? The silicone in those things will turn to rock after 500 - 750,000 miles. That might solve some of your problems without resorting to jungle juice.

o_O

It's on the list of projects. Priority right now is replacing the exhaust manifold and the power divider/gear change to 3.58 from 3.42 gears.

It's been a concern of mine for a while now.

January, I had the carrier bearing replaced.

Drive shaft rebuild with all new u-joints and balancing as well when the power divider is done. All of that scheduled for the week of 4/24.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
I tried this a few years ago when I had an injector fluttering on my 1999 12.7.
It didn't help but they require a gallon for a class 8 and the place I bought it only had 1 half-gallon jug so I can't really say that it doesn't work.

I tried 6 or 8 of the most highly advertised (and most expensive) products on the markets with poor to zero results.

Nothing worked until I remembered about using ATF years ago at every pm.
ATF eliminated the white smoke/rough idle on cold starts and as well as that unmistakable flutter and loss of power that signals an injector going bad.
A gallon at pm since then has kept the engine running well and I still haven't replaced any injectors.

This was on a pre-emissions engine so buyer beware!

Mike

Staff member
I tried this a few years ago when I had an injector fluttering on my 1999 12.7.
It didn't help but they require a gallon for a class 8 and the place I bought it only had 1 half-gallon jug so I can't really say that it doesn't work.

I tried 6 or 8 of the most highly advertised (and most expensive) products on the markets with poor to zero results.

Nothing worked until I remembered about using ATF years ago at every pm.
ATF eliminated the white smoke/rough idle on cold starts and as well as that unmistakable flutter and loss of power that signals an injector going bad.
A gallon at pm since then has kept the engine running well and I still haven't replaced any injectors.

This was on a pre-emissions engine so buyer beware!
ATF in the engine oil?

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
ATF in the engine oil?
No.
Fuel additive.
It seems to be all that's needed for injectors in the older engines.

But I've also used a small amount of ATF in the crankcase to clean internally.
It's hard to quantify results though.
I've never used more than a pint or so and only a few minutes of idling before dropping the oil.

Mike

Staff member
Yes.

Hotshots went into the oil.

ATF goes into the fuel.
Thought so.

Did you decide how long you are going to keep it in there before changing the oil? I don't think there is any advertised need to change the oil early, but I might consider it, since it seems to be busting some stuff loose inside the engine.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Reviewing the oil test, I'm not going to change anything early.

Going to stay with normal interval.

Will change the filters and take another sample at the least come 4/21/17 when I get home from the road in April.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That's stuff is snake oil.

Everything you need in an engine oil is in it in the first place considering howbmuch research the oil companies put into their product.

Mike

Staff member
That's stuff is snake oil.

Everything you need in an engine oil is in it in the first place considering howbmuch research the oil companies put into their product.
Did you have a bad experience with it?

I've seen mndriver mndriver 's analysis numbers, and he has seen a clear improvement. He's not the first person I have seen to have similar problems, and show documented results after using this.

I'm not a big believer in additives myself, but sometimes things do work.

Working at a Ford dealership, engines that were built back before the DPI injectors would begin sticking, and running the cleaners through the rail, as well as adding a cleaner to the oil often took care of the mechanical failings of an injector.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've got better things to spend money on than $110 - $120 a gallon snake oil.

IMO y'all are getting took.

May as well get some magic aircel tubes and fuel magnets while you're at it.

You're performance numbers would be getting better this time of year no matter what you're putting in your oil. It getting warmer out, so the air you push aside as you go down the road is less dense, hence it takes less energy to go down the road.

Mike

Staff member
You're performance numbers would be getting better this time of year no matter what you're putting in your oil. It getting warmer out, so the air you push aside as you go down the road is less dense, hence it takes less energy to go down the road.
Performance numbers can definitely be debated, most of us know to overlook most of that due to weather. Weather isn't a factor in the running problems and oil analysis numbers though, and engines rarely fix themselves.

Was just curious if your deduction of it being worthless snake oil was because of failings you had experienced, or just a generalized opposition to additives in general.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Additives in general. Ya never can tell when this junk is the next batch of Slick50.

Mike

Staff member
Additives in general. Ya never can tell when this junk is the next batch of Slick50.
Exactly. This is why I never go on things like fuel economy numbers, unless somebody can back it up with solid testing and proof.

Hotshots (the oil additive, not their fuel additive) is the one product where I have seen multiple people looking at injector replacements try it and come out with extremely good results.