Problem. My buddy's got a 1990 Peterbilt when I ran the tags underneath the dash on the left hand side it came up as a 2001 Peterbilt what the hell

my buddy's got a 1990 Peterbilt I ran the tag underneath the dash near the steering wheel it comes up as a 2001 Peterbilt what's up with that

Duck

Quack
Supporter
my buddy's got a 1990 Peterbilt I ran the tag underneath the dash near the steering wheel it comes up as a 2001 Peterbilt what's up with that
Well if that ain't suspicious by itself, what prompted you to run it?

More info would be useful.

Are you typing the VIN into Google or something? Could be Google finding the similarity in your query and just showing a result for someone else's search.

I don't know what this tag is... Is it a VIN, serial number on some part, or a bar code sticker?

The only way to be sure what's going on is to take it to a Pete dealer. Unless you think it might be stolen, or some other sinister activity like a chop-shop repair of a wrecked truck.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Someone probably changed the cab at some point.

Pull the VIN from the frame and compare them

He bought this truck 6 months ago. Two weeks after that he messed his back up now he's selling all his stuff. I found out about it when I took it down to the dealer to have it checked out. When they handed me back the paperwork at the Kenworth dealer it said 2001 the cab is not a 2001 it's a 1990 but I Have not check the frame yet is the serial number on the left hand side near the steering box

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
You don't have to go to the dealer to check the year... look at the 8th digit from the right.

Also, check the motor tag to see what year it shows.

Yeah I know that thanks though. I took it down there to have them go through it tell me what's wrong with it so I can negotiate a deal. then when I got the paperwork back and done with it. The paperwork said 2001 the engine is a 1999 series 60 the truck is a 1990 but on the dash it says 2001 on the VIN if you run that but I haven't run the frame numbers yet

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
I would wager that this truck is been wrecked somewhere at some point. And someone pieced back together. Vander hags near my hometown is good at piecing together junkyard trucks and selling them and you’ll get a big mismatch like that

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
I would wager that this truck is been wrecked somewhere at some point. And someone pieced back together. Vander hags near my hometown is good at piecing together junkyard trucks and selling them and you’ll get a big mismatch like that
Ya mean like

Could be a 2OO1 motor on a 1990 frame..

Or it could be a 1990 Motor on a 2001 frame..

Reminds me of the Old Dodge Ram pickups..

From 78 to 91 model year you could swap out piece for piece..

And that Old 305 burned oil like crazy though if ya topped her off the 305 would keep chugging..

Had an 83 rusted out the frame..

Found an 87 body at the junkyard put the 83s motor and salvaged my doors and hood

Gray and Truquiose with a 305 ..

Killed every mosquito in the neighborhood yet passed emmissions every time

Then in 1992 they added fuel injection and went all Space Age..

Cant do that stuff no more

Ya mean like

Could be a 2OO1 motor on a 1990 frame..

Or it could be a 1990 Motor on a 2001 frame..

Reminds me of the Old Dodge Ram pickups..

From 78 to 91 model year you could swap out piece for piece..

And that Old 305 burned oil like crazy though if ya topped her off the 305 would keep chugging..

Had an 83 rusted out the frame..

Found an 87 body at the junkyard put the 83s motor and salvaged my doors and hood

Gray and Truquiose with a 305 ..

Killed every mosquito in the neighborhood yet passed emmissions every time

Then in 1992 they added fuel injection and went all Space Age..

Cant do that stuff no more
Dodge had a 318, GM had the 305

Fun fact Ford and Chevy both produced a 302 CID motor

Way to shame a guy about 5 tall cans into it..

Then again reading back it needed to be done..
Those old 318s you didn’t bother with an oil filter. Screw a mason jar in place and soldier on. I had one it burned 2 litres of oil every 50 miles.

You stopped at a gas station to fill up the oil and check the gas level :D

dchawk81

My dad's company did that all the time. Someone rolls one truck, another blows the motor. Hey look! Now we got a good motor for a good truck.

Doesn't matter if it never matched up in the first place. Cobble it and make it work...could be a motor from a 9200 going into a Columbia.

Or this trans into that truck...even if the rear end isn't right for it. 🙄

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Those old 318s you didn’t bother with an oil filter. Screw a mason jar in place and soldier on. I had one it burned 2 litres of oil every 50 miles.

You stopped at a gas station to fill up the oil and check the gas level :D
Never had that problem with the 318 in my old 1992 Dakota. It was a great little engine. Still kick myself for trading it in on a 2005 Ram.

dchawk81

I had a conversion van aka shaggin wagon with a 318. Good motor. My dad still has it and it still runs. I think it's a 1986?

tommyh

I loved those old slant 6`s,had a sound all their own when starting

chevy had a 305 also
had a pu with one