Power inverter mounting

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You should have that breaker in the battery box or in line from the battery before it passes through anything metal so if the wire rubs a hole you don’t burn down the ****ing truck.
Really? I’m not doubting you, but I wouldn’t have thought that matters. I guess I’ll have to think on redoing that

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Really? I’m not doubting you, but I wouldn’t have thought that matters. I guess I’ll have to think on redoing that
Thought I commented on this before. If for example that battery cable gets hot and the insulation gets gummy. Then where it passes by the frame on the way to the cab it rubs through. That’s a direct short to ground without a breaker or fuse. Food for thought.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Thought I commented on this before. If for example that battery cable gets hot and the insulation gets gummy. Then where it passes by the frame on the way to the cab it rubs through. That’s a direct short to ground without a breaker or fuse. Food for thought.
One guy I talked to said I’m an idiot for not mounting it in the battery box like you’re suggesting, for the reason you’re suggesting. The breaker cuts the power before it can arc and cause issues

A buddy of mine said the starter cable is larger gauge and unfused, so he wouldn’t worry about it as a “must fix soon” type deal. He agreed in a perfect world, the power inverter breaker should be as close to the batteries as possible.

Two different ways of looking at it :coocoo:

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
One guy I talked to said I’m an idiot for not mounting it in the battery box like you’re suggesting, for the reason you’re suggesting. The breaker cuts the power before it can arc and cause issues

A buddy of mine said the starter cable is larger gauge and unfused, so he wouldn’t worry about it as a “must fix soon” type deal. He agreed in a perfect world, the power inverter breaker should be as close to the batteries as possible.

Two different ways of looking at it :coocoo:
That Main Starter terminal has a meltable lead link in it typically. When it hits like 300 some odd degrees it breaks contact. Also if the short is in the starter that terminal is also designed to melt off. Like I said man. Just a concern. I’m not saying you need to get it done today but, personally I would move it. Or he’ll even add another and leave that one there if you’re lazy lol.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
That Main Starter terminal has a meltable lead link in it typically. When it hits like 300 some odd degrees it breaks contact. Also if the short is in the starter that terminal is also designed to melt off. Like I said man. Just a concern. I’m not saying you need to get it done today but, personally I would move it. Or he’ll even add another and leave that one there if you’re lazy lol.
Or just up the insurance..... ;)