Popcorn Anyone??

Hillbilly Canuck

Hurry up 'n wait! Yup, military training!

You'll excuse me for finding this attitude among flatbedders as being rather hilarious. You excoriate my segment for slow grocery DC unloading times (gotta count all those little boxes,) and use that as an excuse for being a not reefer guy. But here all y'all are biotching about slow load times. At least we don't have to be paying attention so as to not lose our place in line - we can catch a nap in the dock.

I'd reply to your other thread about steel mills, but that LB criminal has me locked out. Can't take the heat, evidently.
You can definitely do flatbed without doing too many steel mills and a lot of people do. I worked for one that lived in mills one that rarely touched them and one that barely even knew what a tarp was. Unfortunately there are quite a few outfits like TMC (no offense @r3gulator3 ) where bricks and sticks make a lot of their bread and butter, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You can definitely do flatbed without doing too many steel mills and a lot of people do. I worked for one that lived in mills one that rarely touched them and one that barely even knew what a tarp was. Unfortunately there are quite a few outfits like TMC (no offense @r3gulator3 ) where bricks and sticks make a lot of their bread and butter, but it doesn't have to be that way.
Exactly. Look at all the multi-axle groups that all they do is haul steel. I guess it pays ok but man I couldn’t do it.

r3gulator3

Eurotruck race enthusiast
Supporter
To be honest for me steel comes in waves. I’ll haul nothing but steel for like a solid month then I haul anything but steel for 6 months. I try not to gripe about my one month twice a year because I don’t want those odds to change. Lol I don’t mind doing sticks and bricks. I made 5k more last year than my best friend on specialized so I’m good with that.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The same can be said for temperature controlled freight. Bulk cheese loads out of WI to Kraft are a great example. An hour or two to load, 45 minutes to unload.

The large carriers get many of the schlock cheap freight loads to the DCs - that includes the training carriers where many folks get their introduction to trucking. Doesn't mean you have to do a steady diet of that crap.