Popcorn Anyone??

nan

Supporter
Even so, as I say s in another thread a while back. I don’t understand why refer drivers seem to be so wound up and confrontational. In my personal experience that’s the way it seems. Even my dad is more mellow since he retired from yanking an ice box.
Probably from all the daily BS.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
And pulling a refer!
R*E*E*F*E*R

Even so, as I say s in another thread a while back. I don’t understand why refer drivers seem to be so wound up and confrontational. In my personal experience that’s the way it seems. Even my dad is more mellow since he retired from yanking an ice box.
She probably had to put up with criminal and his BS. That'd set anyone off.

Last edited:

SueAnn

Supporter
It's lack of sleep! This is a heated unit and they seem to be even louder. I brought that load back and asked not to pull anymore. I slept on a ramp so I didn't keep everyone around me up too. I'll take the quiet vans.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
considering the antagonism that comes from OSHA purrs and receivers for people that deal with those kind of places, yeah they can push their buttons very easy.

people get treated like **** emotionally long enough and they're going to break.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
considering the antagonism that comes from OSHA purrs and receivers for people that deal with those kind of places, yeah they can push their buttons very easy.

people get treated like **** emotionally long enough and they're going to break.
Pull up your boot straps sally, if I can deal with steel mills they can deal with PPG

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Pull up your boot straps sally, if I can deal with steel mills they can deal with PPG
I’ve learned that sometimes being an asshole gets you loaded faster. It also sometimes backfires and slows things down.
Generally though, with flatbed I can be peachy keen and polite, and other than waiting patiently for a bit, generally get in and out pretty easy.

**** steel mills, especially union ones

r3gulator3

Supporter
I’ve learned that sometimes being an asshole gets you loaded faster. It also sometimes backfires and slows things down.
Generally though, with flatbed I can be peachy keen and polite, and other than waiting patiently for a bit, generally get in and out pretty easy.

**** steel mills, especially union ones
Well that’s what I’m saying, certain union steel mills politeness goes a long way. Even if you’re waiting 3 hours to load. Some of em if you’re a jerk face they gonna make you wait 6-8 hours. I am blessed having been in the military. As I have a certain set of skills trained into me where I can wait for a very very very long time without it winding me up.

Hillbilly Canuck

^^^ It is for this exact reason I have zero patience for traffic idiot shippers busy "truck stops" or any hindrance to my advance, and it is for THAT exact reason I am deadly at trip planning OTR and even deadlier locally at killing enough time not to go back for another round if something is too much bullshit for my liking.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
When shippers tell me it is going to be a while.

Take all the time you need, we start charging after a half hour. ;)

(pretty sure your boss is going to be asking what in the **** else you were doing was so important that charges for waiting time occured)

r3gulator3

Supporter
When shippers tell me it is going to be a while.

Take all the time you need, we start charging after a half hour. ;)

(pretty sure your boss is going to be asking what in the **** else you were doing was so important that charges for waiting time occured)
That’s well and good for you. Seems the only ones I get delayed at are at shippers where our company has a contract with them so they don’t pay detention. However, I get detention pay at other places that occasionally hold me up. Usually to the tune of around $25/hr. (What I see on my check I have no idea what the company actually gets) one place held me up for 3 hours and some change once. That was a nice little bump to my paycheck.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
That’s well and good for you. Seems the only ones I get delayed at are at shippers where our company has a contract with them so they don’t pay detention. However, I get detention pay at other places that occasionally hold me up. Usually to the tune of around $25/hr. (What I see on my check I have no idea what the company actually gets) one place held me up for 3 hours and some change once. That was a nice little bump to my paycheck.
I hear ya. It was a different story when I was OTR. I was at the mercey of the shipper unless I got creative.
That is the reason why I make it my vendetta to stick it to slow shippers now that I am LTL local.

I can stick it to them and I do and hopefully that will speed things up for all drivers, OTR or local.

AK7

I hear ya. It was a different story when I was OTR. I was at the mercey of the shipper unless I got creative.
That is the reason why I make it my vendetta to stick it to slow shippers now that I am LTL local.

I can stick it to them and I do and hopefully that will speed things up for all drivers, OTR or local.
I guess I missed the part about the new gig.?????

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Well that’s what I’m saying, certain union steel mills politeness goes a long way. Even if you’re waiting 3 hours to load. Some of em if you’re a jerk face they gonna make you wait 6-8 hours. I am blessed having been in the military. As I have a certain set of skills trained into me where I can wait for a very very very long time without it winding me up.
Hurry up 'n wait! Yup, military training!

You'll excuse me for finding this attitude among flatbedders as being rather hilarious. You excoriate my segment for slow grocery DC unloading times (gotta count all those little boxes,) and use that as an excuse for being a not reefer guy. But here all y'all are biotching about slow load times. At least we don't have to be paying attention so as to not lose our place in line - we can catch a nap in the dock.

I'd reply to your other thread about steel mills, but that LB criminal has me locked out. Can't take the heat, evidently.

r3gulator3

Supporter
Hurry up 'n wait! Yup, military training!

You'll excuse me for finding this attitude among flatbedders as being rather hilarious. You excoriate my segment for slow grocery DC unloading times (gotta count all those little boxes,) and use that as an excuse for being a not reefer guy. But here all y'all are biotching about slow load times. At least we don't have to be paying attention so as to not lose our place in line - we can catch a nap in the dock.

I'd reply to your other thread about steel mills, but that LB criminal has me locked out. Can't take the heat, evidently.
Detention is me getting paid to nap. I see no problem with this. But the thing that keeps me from being a reefer guy is the middle of the night unload times. **** that ****! I enjoy working during the day.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Detention is me getting paid to nap. I see no problem with this. But the thing that keeps me from being a reefer guy is the middle of the night unload times. **** that ****! I enjoy working during the day.
Always been a night owl myself. It's funny... in my 20's switching from swings to dayshift for weekend standby duty used to totally screw me up for the next week. Now, it's not a big deal to drive days, deliver, afternoon p/u, followed by 8 hours in the bunk and driving over.

Weird.

Oh and actually doing physical work during the day. It’s a nice break from driving.
Aerobic activity before hitting the sack.

:thumbsup: