Please recommend a cb for OTR use.

thndrchiken

Looking for a new radio, don't need to be super powerful. Looking to stay under $300-350. Would like to have some weather bands. Also what upgrades would you recommend to go along with a tune, i.e. upgraded final, etc. Back in the day I was happy with my old Realistic 473 USB/lsb, had plenty of power with a good antennae and power Mike was all you needed.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Cobra 29 LTD WX.

Sunafabitch went off today with a tone I couldn't shut off or turn down.

In 7 years I've never heard that tone.

Then I remembered it said something about a weather alert.

So I flipped over to weather channel and it actually works in this truck unlike my Freightliner. NWS test speech being given.

I need to get a new microphone is what I've been told.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
A Cobra 29 should serve you well. I think they are around $120-130. It has been a long time since I bought a radio so the prices may have gone up Or down considering not many drivers are buying or using radios these days. Still, always good to have one just in case.

r3gulator3

Eurotruck race enthusiast
Supporter
Cobra 29 LTD WX.

Sunafabitch went off today with a tone I couldn't shut off or turn down.

In 7 years I've never heard that tone.

Then I remembered it said something about a weather alert.

So I flipped over to weather channel and it actually works in this truck unlike my Freightliner. NWS test speech being given.

I need to get a new microphone is what I've been told.
If you turn that weather knob to the far left it never goes off like that. Learned that one the hard way trying to sleep through a sever thunderstorm/tornado warning in Warrenton Mo. 3am that ****ing high pitched screech went off. **** that noise. Never again.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
If you turn that weather knob to the far left it never goes off like that. Learned that one the hard way trying to sleep through a sever thunderstorm/tornado warning in Warrenton Mo. 3am that ****ing high pitched screech went off. **** that noise. Never again.
I bought that radio with the weather alarm after riding out a tornado in Illinois. I thought it may save my life one day.
All I ever got was woken up for "potential" storm warnings.

I turned the warning feature off and figured my GPS would let me know in the morning if I we're not in Kansas anymore.

r3gulator3

Eurotruck race enthusiast
Supporter
I bought that radio with the weather alarm after riding out a tornado in Illinois. I thought it may save my life one day.
All I ever got was woken up for "potential" storm warnings.

I turned the warning feature off and figured my GPS would let me know in the morning if I we're not in Kansas anymore.
That’s for sure. I’m from the Midwest. Tornados ain’t nothing to me. It’s either gonna take me or it ain’t. No amount of building is going to change that. Just am I gonna die from debris being blown at me or a building collapsing on me.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
That’s for sure. I’m from the Midwest. Tornados ain’t nothing to me. It’s either gonna take me or it ain’t. No amount of building is going to change that. Just am I gonna die from debris being blown at me or a building collapsing on me.
I never understood the warnings when they tell you the counties it’s gonna hit. I’m trucking through Iowa at 75-80 mph and don’t have a ****ing clue what county Im in, just left or heading towards :dunno:

I run a Cobra 29, it’s been worked on, Astatic mike, 5’ antennae’s, nothing fancy but she’ll reach quite aways and is smooth.

Nothing worse than some POS truck doing something stupid with no radio and you can’t talk to them.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Looking for a new radio, don't need to be super powerful. Looking to stay under $300-350. Would like to have some weather bands. Also what upgrades would you recommend to go along with a tune, i.e. upgraded final, etc. Back in the day I was happy with my old Realistic 473 USB/lsb, had plenty of power with a good antennae and power Mike was all you needed.
Realstic was like Radio Shack back in the 1980s

Ya mean to tell me they had USB back when a Nintendo Cartridge frooze up

Gosh

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Ahhhh, the youngins.....
Look aint nobody on the CB anymore..

All ya need is a Cobra 29 outta the box and invest for a Firestick ...

Mostly its just gonna be Hookers or Panhandlers..

Or the Retard who tapes the mike over the stereo..

What ya really need is the few places left when ya hit the gate so security shack thcan call ya in..

Hillbilly Canuck

I never understood the warnings when they tell you the counties it’s gonna hit. I’m trucking through Iowa at 75-80 mph and don’t have a ****ing clue what county Im in, just left or heading towards :dunno:

I run a Cobra 29, it’s been worked on, Astatic mike, 5’ antennae’s, nothing fancy but she’ll reach quite aways and is smooth.

Nothing worse than some POS truck doing something stupid with no radio and you can’t talk to them.
Or when the cocksuckers key up on 19 with their crap "music". :2guns: