Pit Bulls

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
Very well said cerberus.Dogs are only protecting what is theirs and if they think someone is a threat,they will attack.There should be a law that people post signs along the fence to warn others of the dog though.But to banned them from certain twns and require them to get fixed should be the owners choice not the law.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
Okay, so let me get this straight. If your dog were to get off her leash, do you actually think she wouldn't bite the kids that were teasing her? And you actually think you wouldn't be held liable?

Signs, fences, chains, leashes will all mean nothing if your dog bites someone, and you will be responsible. It really is as simple as that. And the lawyers who bring the case against you really wouldn't care how sweet your dog is to you.

You tell us earlier in the thread that the problem with dogs comes from the owners, then you tell us your letting your dog get closer to people she's barking at, am I'm supposed to shut up?

Your actions defy common sense, and are contrary to your own posts.

What are you getting so wound up about?

rebel

Well known, by a few
Supporter
I say put the dog on the lawyer the minute he steps foot thru the gate.

See, Cerb's not the only one to walk the dog.:troll2::stirpot:

damn sinister sure hope you have know animals......that would be very crule to any animal.
If it walked on your foot would you freak out and shoot it or something.......
Why are you so one sided mean?
we have our own thoughts and belife's..........
bottom line if you don't like our dogs...who cares...we do..and that's all that matters.
now take a chill pill and drink a beer.................

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
damn sinister sure hope you have know animals......that would be very crule to any animal.
Is that supposed to be an insult? If so, you need more practice.

If it walked on your foot would you freak out and shoot it or something.......
When did I say anything that would make you think something like this. It's totally out of context.

Why are you so one sided mean?
we have our own thoughts and belife's..........
Right, and forums are places where people discuss different ideas and beliefs. It would be quite boring if we all agreed on everything all the time, wouldn't it?

bottom line if you don't like our dogs...who cares...we do..and that's all that matters.
now take a chill pill and drink a beer.................
When did I say anything about not liking dogs? I had a Jack Russell terrier for 12 years, and only had to get rid of him since my son came along because he was not good around small kids.

I really have no idea how you could have even come to the conclusion that I don't like dogs. I never even remotely hinted at that.

What I don't like is people. Especially people with completely disorganized, contrary thoughts that don't make and sense, and apparently can't have a discussion with someone with different ideas without getting totally insane.

I'm not the one losing my cool here. You guys are.

Oh, and I drank plenty of beer last night, and have to be functional tomorrow for my son's birthday party.

rebel

Well known, by a few
Supporter
When did I say anything about not liking dogs? I had a Jack Russell terrier for 12 years, and only had to get rid of him since my son came along because he was not good around small kids.

I really have no idea how you could have even come to the conclusion that I don't like dogs. I never even remotely hinted at that. .

That pretty much says it all.
Judges?

Sinisters Wife

I don't think it is always the breed or always the owner. I hung out at a friends house alot for ahwile and the pit bull that he owned was friendly we all loved her. One day I had a migraine so I put an ice pack on my head the pit bull came over stared at me very funny and then growled her head off. My friend said to slowly take the ice pack off my head because she thinks its attacking me. I did and I was ok. He then bought another pit bull and it tore his house to shreds attacked everyone that entered. He had to get rid of that one or risk an law suit.

I also work with emotionally behaviorally at risk high school kids and every boy I have had in the past four year want to get a pit and train it to fight.

So I think noone is right or wrong about whether its the breed or the owners it is both every situation is different.

Mike

Staff member
To put one thing in simple terms, dogs are "pack" animals, and you (the owner) are part of the pack.

As an owner, you become part of their "pack". You can act like the dog is human all you want, but that isn't the case. Once again, anyone who wants to debate me on this would have to do so in person, because you can't truly explain this on a message board. Understand though, that you will be very shocked at what you learn.

Once you are a part of the "pack", you are going to be tested. How strongly you will be tested is dependent on how "alpha" your canine is. The smallest dog can have a very alpha personality, and if you don't instill your dominance of the pack, the dog will be a nightmare to deal with.

rebel

Well known, by a few
Supporter
I won't argue with a fact, Bull.
What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^

It also depends on how "alpha" or "alphalpha" your personality is.

I AM the alpha in my house, I have a male (neutered) that likes to think he is boss...pushing his way thru the gate etc...well NOT in my life time! I go out first and come in first, HE has to wait...LOL sometimes I make him wait a few minutes just to get the point across. He is a GREAT dog but, if someone didnt take the time to train and play with him he would be a brat...not mean just bossy.

I take food away from my dogs while in their mouth, take their toys, all sorts of things just to show them I am boss....they are all wonderful with great personalities and temperments...its how I raise them to be. I would NEVER have a dog I couldnt trust, or that showed signs of aggression..gone otta here bye bye doggie.

ALPHA is the way my husband described me when we started dating, tell it like it is, take no bull from anyone and thats that...LOL

rebel

Well known, by a few
Supporter
I AM the alpha in my house, I have a male (neutered) that likes to think he is boss...pushing his way thru the gate etc...well NOT in my life time! I go out first and come in first, HE has to wait...LOL sometimes I make him wait a few minutes just to get the point across.

ALPHA is the way my husband described me when we started dating, tell it like it is, take no bull from anyone and thats that...LOL

OK, since Cerb isn't here, I'll do the honors.
Did you neuter your husband?
JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING.

Is that supposed to be an insult? If so, you need more practice.

When did I say anything that would make you think something like this. It's totally out of context.

Right, and forums are places where people discuss different ideas and beliefs. It would be quite boring if we all agreed on everything all the time, wouldn't it?

I really have no idea how you could have even come to the conclusion that I don't like dogs. I never even remotely hinted at that.

What I don't like is people. Especially people with completely disorganized, contrary thoughts that don't make and sense, and apparently can't have a discussion with someone with different ideas without getting totally insane.

I'm not the one losing my cool here. You guys are.

Oh, and I drank plenty of beer last night, and have to be functional tomorrow for my son's birthday party.
13...13...13...13...13...13...13...13...Now that is insane...................

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
Okay, so let me get this straight. If your dog were to get off her leash, do you actually think she wouldn't bite the kids that were teasing her? And you actually think you wouldn't be held liable?

Signs, fences, chains, leashes will all mean nothing if your dog bites someone, and you will be responsible. It really is as simple as that. And the lawyers who bring the case against you really wouldn't care how sweet your dog is to you.

You tell us earlier in the thread that the problem with dogs comes from the owners, then you tell us your letting your dog get closer to people she's barking at, am I'm supposed to shut up?

Your actions defy common sense, and are contrary to your own posts.

What are you getting so wound up about?
Sinister i'm putting you on ignore because frankly my dear I don't like you.You have an attitude and you get under my skin like a flea gets under a dogs skin.You're the only one on this site that I have a problem with. Sorry folks I know that has nothing to do with this thread but I just could'nt help myself.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
Thats fine. When you figfure out how to connect two thought that make sense, and don't contradict even your own posts, I'll be glad to debate you on any subject you choose.

And what the hell is 13...13...13....supposed to mean?

Any time you two want to start making sense, I'll be here.

Anyway, regarding the thread and the topic, I'm not sure I'd want to try to out-alpha a Pit that might be a little unstable. I think you'd probably be asking for missing chunks of flesh!

I mean, how far would you have to go with a dog like that in order to prove you're the boss?

And what would you do if you didn't want to go as far as needed to assert your dominance? I guess the only choices would be either to put the dog down, or find a trainer with more skills?

I don't know...I'm genuinely asking.

Sinisters Wife

I once had a friend who wanted to show that he was the boss to his dog so he used punch the dog in the face to make him behave.

I find that kind of cruel though!

rebel

Well known, by a few
Supporter
Anyway, regarding the thread and the topic, I'm not sure I'd want to try to out-alpha a Pit that might be a little unstable. I think you'd probably be asking for missing chunks of flesh!

I mean, how far would you have to go with a dog like that in order to prove you're the boss?

And what would you do if you didn't want to go as far as needed to assert your dominance? I guess the only choices would be either to put the dog down, or find a trainer with more skills?

I don't know...I'm genuinely asking.
I can answer that.
I know a lot of people will talk big about their dogs (especially K-9's) and I'l admit I've seen some badass dogs in my time. But I've never seen one I couldn't break a jaw or rib with one punch. And I'm not a big guy.
Never had to and wouldn't want to, but it's a question of will.
You have to know you are the boss. Half the battle is conveying that personality to the animal with no fear whatsoever.
Please, no one misconstrue this as permission to be cruel to a dog. I have said the best method is to train with food.
But in the case of a dominant acting and aggressive dog, if it comes to it, use your hands and get physical. Will you get bit? Maybe.
Have I? No. Mainly because of what I said above. I have no fear. Respect, yes. Fear, no.
As Bullwinkle pointed out, this is something that can't be fully explained in a thread. There are too many variables and possible scenarios to cover.
It goes back to understanding the responsibility, patience and knowledge that is required - much like parenthood, without the sharp teeth.

Sinisters Wife

It goes back to understanding the responsibility, patience and knowledge that is required - much like parenthood, without the sharp teeth.
I don't know my son had pretty sharp teeth when he was teething. OWIE

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
I think another thing is that if you get a hold of a dog that is very young, your chances of establishing dominance over the dog is much better than say, an adult dog with strong personality.

A brother of mine had a rotty that was without a doubt the most disciplined dog I have ever seen. To this day, he has rules he follows about dogs that he never ever strays (ha ha, I made a pun) from. #1 is no people food ever. #2 is that he never hits an animal, as he believes it only creates resentment in the animal. I disagree with his 2nd rule, as it gives too much credit to the intelligence of the dog.

Anyway, my brother could be across a busy street, and use one hand signal to make the dog sit, then another to lay, without ever issuing a verbal command. Of course, he had trained this dog since she could open her eyes, and basically never stopped working with her, and was constantly reinforcing what he had taught. So, again, I think if you get a dog very young, you'll have a much better chance of being boss.