Pit bull's that horrible breed that cause death and mayhem

Dog Alerts Owner To Propane Gas Leak Inside Long Island Home

LAKEVIEW, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – A Long Island woman’s dog saved her from a potentially dangerous situation.

Ronene Ando says her pit bull Ruby doesn’t bark very often but she wouldn’t stop Thursday night, carrying on for more than an hour.

Ando eventually followed Ruby to the basement of her Lakeview home, where she recently installed a propane heater. She smelled gas and shut it off right away.

“Dogs typically are pretty intuitive. I believe that breed is even more so with all the research that I’ve done, and I think that was it hands down,” she said. “Probably if it weren’t for Ruby, I can’t say what, I don’t know.”

Ruby is a trained therapy dog but does not have rescue training.

Ando said it was all instinct.

Notice it is a therapy dog as well. But we still have breed specific laws in this country:mad:

Yes, but they are laws and you need to respect them. Right? ;)
I do not live where the apply. By choice.
Just like anyone that does not like the rules of road use can stay home ;)

When you find one that can outpace Motorola and a helicopter let me know.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Pit bulls are very smart. i used to look after my buddy's pitbull because his mom was **** scared of the dog. He was such a good dog!
He only freaked me out once when he started barking in the middle of the night. It scared the girl that was with me, she almost left.
I just figured he was having a nightmare and or being in unfamiliar surroundings, I turned the light on and petted him a bit and he was good after that.
If you tapped on your chest with both hands he would come up to see you face to face. He was a good boy!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Pit bulls are very smart. i used to look after my buddy's pitbull because his mom was **** scared of the dog. He was such a good dog!
He only raked me out once when he started barking in the middle of the night. It scared the girl that was with me, she almost left.
I just figured he was having a nightmare and or being in unfamiliar surroundings, I turned the light on and petted him a bit and he was good after that.
If you tapped on your chest with both hands he would come up to see you face to face. He was a good boy!:thumbsup:

Message approved ;)

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
I once had a pitty cross of some sort, about as tall as a big lab, but built like a pit. Big wide head, I could lay my hand flat between his teeth. Fearsome looking big baby, as long as you weren't a critter. He loved to ride, and would try to climb in if you pulled up to the house and opened your door. Scared the chit out of a few folks, needless to say. But even a stranger's biggest fear needed to be getting licked to death.

Whitey's Mom was a hog killing American Staffordshire. Everyone was always afraid to go near her but she was like that. Don't leave a tailgate down or she was in the bed.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
When you find one that can outpace Motorola and a helicopter let me know.
I used to hear that "can't outrun the Motorola" line back in the 90's.

That Motorola is useless if they don't know where you are.

And helicopters are useless unless they're already airborne.
Pit bulls are very smart.
The one I had was so dumb he never learned that his paws got no traction on the hardwood floors. He would get excited and hyper and try to run full speed around the house and slide head first into the walls and stuff.

One time I was in the kitchen and he was headed up the stairs and I called him and he decided to to a back flip instead of a U-turn. He fell flat on his back but got right up, spun around in circles then stopped in front of me with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth and those big vacuous eyes staring at me.

It was fun when the fields were full of ice ponds. I'd start heading towards the ice on my ATV and the dog would run along side. Then I'd stop quickly right before the ice, wait for the dog to run onto the ice, then whistle. His attempt to U-turn would send him spinning in circles on all fours. It was hilarious.

Keendriver

Hates all of you
My vicious pit is lying on his bed ( under a blanket no less ) and prolly couldn't be roused by anything less than the sound of the lunch meat being opened.

He did wander into the neighbors yard yesterday and put their 6 yr old daughter in grave danger........of squealing with delight while being licked about the face to death.

Last edited:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I will tell you this . At age 3 I was attacked by a dog, It was a German Sheppard owned by relatives. That dog tore my face inside out. I went into shock and only remember being under the big light they have at the operating table.
Many hours of reconstructive surgery and many, many stitches later they put me back together again. The plastic surgeon did a good job! Most of the scares have faded, I still wear a few of them but hey they look cool!:thumbsup:

I am not sure what got into that dog that day. I am not afraid of dogs even after all of that. Mostly because I don't remember most of it.

dave350

German Sheppard’s can be a little funny in that sometimes they’ll stand back and watch. I’ve been around a few like that but I’ve had some come right up to me as well. We had a Great Dane that was stand offish to strangers but never aggressive. Throw the ball once or twice and he was your friend for life. Jake was his name. We called him “Big J” :thumbsup:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
German shepherds don't like it when you pull their tail, mess with their food while they're eating, or try to pick them up by their hind legs to walk them around on their fronts like a wheelbarrow.

The one I had as a kid taught me that.

Basically when he starts growling, quit messing with him.

Oh, and they don't like it when you stuff dog food into their ears. I almost forgot. :rolllaugh:

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Children tend to look at dogs square on, directly in the eye. They're on the same level, so it's easy for a dog to assume it's a challenge. A dog who isn't used to children or just has a high-strung temperament is more likely to bite in these situations. Unfortunately for the child, it's often the face because it's within reach.

I was making a delivery Monday, my last of the day, and a young woman came into the store with what looked like a giant Border Collie. He was half BC and half Newfoundland. Gorgeous dog. While I was commenting on how soft his coat was and petting him, he flopped down and gave me his belly for a tummy rub. (Of course, I gave him a good tummy rub. It's the rules.) His owner stood there with the leash in her hand, staring with wide eyes and mouth agape. She said he had never done that before, she couldn't believe he'd just done that. It was a reaction you can't fake, so I believe her. No idea why he decided he needed a tummy rub right then. But I'm still laughing a little about it.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
So what’s the conclusion here? Gimme a break.

There’s a vast media conspiracy against this breed?

Personally I don’t care for them and would not have them near my kids.

Were I to get a dog it would be one that is protective of the kids but not so easily triggered by God knows what.

I believe each Pit Bull has a switch someplace, and yes training and upbringing can make it harder to flip, but that switch is there nonetheless and when that dogs switch gets flipped there no turning back.

There’s plenty of other breeds just as protective and tough without being such a wild card.

In this example a woman end up missing an arm.

Her. Entire. Arm.

Couple convicted in pit bull attack that maimed San Antonio senior sentenced

Google “Pit Bull Attack.” There’s one where an adult woman was killed and her husband seriously injured.

Reminds me of when I was a kid people thought wolf breeds were cool.

Many of them have dead kids and blood on their hands in other ways too. The half wolves had pretty easy triggers as it turns out.

Not sure how many examples are needed that certain things are not a good idea, because of the few pit bulls you may have met or owned. Because there’s far more tragic stories than that.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Children tend to look at dogs square on, directly in the eye. They're on the same level, so it's easy for a dog to assume it's a challenge. A dog who isn't used to children or just has a high-strung temperament is more likely to bite in these situations. Unfortunately for the child, it's often the face because it's within reach.
I almost always look a dog directly in the eyes.
While holding it's head still, it's forehead touching mine, and I growl quietly at it.

The dog instantly becomes passive and tucks it's tail between it's legs. It thinks I'm alpha even though it can easily rip my face off.

As soon as it does that, I pat it's back and rub behind it's ears. Next thing I know it's licking my face.

Obviously you can't do that to every dog. If it's been kicked in the head too many times it becomes incompatible with people in general and should either be put down or given to someone like Tazz to deal with.
So what’s the conclusion here? Gimme a break.

There’s a vast media conspiracy against this breed?
Yes.

Hype for ratings.

But nobody is going to blame you for wanting to protect your kids from what you perceive as a risk of mauling.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
I’m not so sure it’s hype for ratings. These stories have been persistent for years and years now, much more than they ever were with other breeds that got coverage such as Rottweilers, Dobermans, Dalmatians, etc.

Check paragraph 11 or so. It goes into why pointing dogs point, etc.

The Problem With Pit Bulls

Pit Bulls were bred specifically to rip faces off. That’s it.

Like I said, when the trigger is pulled, instinct kicks in, and there’s no going back.

There’s also some startling statistics in there.