Pit bull saves woman from oncoming train.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
I think youre in the pocket of pit bull special interest! CORRUPTION! SHENANIGANS!

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
Not to start yet another debate about them, but I think there's something wrong with these dogs on an instinctual level. Sort of like breeding a wolf with a German Shepard. Just not a good idea. Ticking time bomb kinda thing. The whole argument about "its the PEOPLE who abuse them!" doesn't hold water with me.

rebel

Well known, by a few
Supporter
Thread starter #8
Not to start yet another debate about them, but I think there's something wrong with these dogs on an instinctual level. Sort of like breeding a wolf with a German Shepard. Just not a good idea. Ticking time bomb kinda thing. The whole argument about "its the PEOPLE who abuse them!" doesn't hold water with me.
I dunno.
It's fair to say that ALL breeds have certain traits, good or bad.
I had just seen the first story on my computer's front page and when i googled again to find it, a whole bunch more popped up.
Since that breed gets maligned all the time, i thought it only fair to bring out some good examples.

I've had all kinds of dogs from all kinds of breeds and even taken in some that had some personality or discipline problems.
And even the worst of them still turned out to be pretty good dogs.
So, the point isn't that I'm bragging on me, but I do think a good owner makes a huge difference.

The biggest problem child I had was a basset mix. He was a 2 time loser from the pound that my son-in-law had, and he was headed back there if we didn't take him, which of course meant he'd be euthanized.
He was just too rambunctious and had too much energy to be left in a fenced backyard all the time.
So he came home with us.
We had to finally come to an understanding one night that I was the boss. Even my Rottie knows that.
We growled and snapped and yelled at each other, but he decided that I was right.

And after that, he turned into one of the sweetest dogs and had a personality that was irresistible and funny.
His one fault I couldn't break was chasing after cars and those darn golf carts that everyone rides up here in the summer - he hated those things.
We're in a place that is about as safe as you can get without being a hermit, so i didn't worry too much.
But one day an old lady stopped instead of ignoring him and his dumb a$$ got underneath the jeep when she finally decided to move again.
He's buried out by my garden now.
We still say his last few years of life were the best and happiest he ever had.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I've owned several pit bulls.

View attachment 16313

View attachment 16314

View attachment 16315

View attachment 16316

View attachment 16317

View attachment 16318

They're good dogs.
View attachment 16313 View attachment 16314 View attachment 16315 View attachment 16316 View attachment 16317 View attachment 16318

HoneyBadger

I had always been scared to death of Pit Bulls, after reading all the bad press about them. Then one day when Yellowbeard was walking our dog (a Rhodesian ridgeback) and I was just sitting on a log, I felt a nudge at my back. I about had a potty-accident when I looked around and this big pit was standing there staring at me. Yellowbeard and my dog were out of sight and there didn't seem to be anyone else around.
I did the only thing I could think of, I offered it a cookie. Before I knew it he had climbed up beside me on the log and was laying in my lap grinning at me. I was afraid that when I ran out of cookies, he would get cranky, but when I said "all gone" he just sighed, laid his head down and fell asleep. Some time later his "daddy" showed and scolded him for being such a mooch. His name was Hercules and they were visiting from New Mexico.

Cerberus

In God We Trust
I think youre in the pocket of pit bull special interest! CORRUPTION! SHENANIGANS!

You have no concept of the pitbull breed. They are great dogs and super protective. they get a bad rap because the gangster lifestyle and they have been attacched to that. They are the most loyal dog a alpha male/female could own. I have a pitbull who is 87 lbs and he's only 19 mths old right now. Just his looks keep out the bilge[MENTION=2684]Sinister[/MENTION] from my house. I cant always be here but momma doesnt worry about anything as he is more protective when she is here by herself. They are a great breed and it is the owner to be blamed fr the media. I do think all so called agressive dogs should be registered with the county and a limit put on who can own what and how many.

I've been around big dogs my whole life and all the so called aggressive dogs, and only got bite twice and that was by an ankle bitter once and a boxer who, my own fault didnt realize she had babies, had known her for a long time, and never by a rottie, shepherd,or even a pit. Once someone is around one they reallize what great dogs they are.

Mike

Staff member
As a long time pit bull owner, I will confirm that the breed is dangerous, and nothing will convince me otherwise.

They can be the most wonderful pets, but the risk factor is high.

The reason why? Most of the pit bulls you purchase are either bred by people who fight them, or there are probably only a couple generations away from blood lines that were bred for fighting.

This method of breeding weeds out soft temperament, and breeds in high prey drive and aggression. Those that don't "appear" to have the aggression and prey drive are gotten rid of, many times killed. Only the best fighting dogs are bred for new litters.

Pits make great hog hunting dogs because of this aggression and prey drive, but they make potentially dangerous pets when it comes to being around children and elderly people.

Running, fighting, and loud noises trigger the prey drive. What is a small child going to do the first time this dog playfully knocks down the child? Run and scream, then the chase is on. Your normally great tempered dog that never was aggressive suddenly becomes over playful with the kid and things get ugly.

These dogs are very intelligent, and in time could become great, safe pets. Dog fighting is going to have to become a thing of the past first though.

This is coming from someone who owned a mixed breed pit, then a full blood pit for several years. Not once were they aggressive toward a child, nor were children even left unattended near them.

The nicest dog can be overcome by "instincts", and these dogs are bred for the instinct to fight.

Cerberus

In God We Trust
Good post Mike but can't completly agree. there are two types of pits. you got the game breed and the house breed. The game breed is what needs to be controlled if not become extinct. I've owned one game breed before and at 7 months he took out my 190lb rottie and 14 mth old pit at the same time. no i wasnt there at the time or it wouldnt hve happened. in his defence, i specially got him to protect the other two, yes it backfired and i learned my lesson. only got him because some kid thought he was cool and took my very friendly pit out of the back yard to use him for fighting. I got Taz back and went out and got the game breed pit and trained him to eat everything that didnt belong there. i was out of town once a week and thats when it happened. cost me a small fortune to stitch up my dogs and was questioned about dog fighting because of the markings and open wounds these dogs suffered. I ended up keeping the dog inside the whole time while i was gone and there. and inside was a woman and young baby. he was very protective of that child and would growl if anybody got near the child. he was a great dog and still is from what i understand. so its not the breed itself its the person not treating the breed right. My 87lb pit now, trust him to no end. i don't worry about her when i'm not here. she knows dog goes crazy get out and find help dog will keep them busy.

Cerberus

In God We Trust
So wht your suggesting is all pits are bad? is it my fault when i walk the neirborhood with dog in tow on a leash and he gets attacked by a dog but yet defends himself and puts a world of hurt on the other dog. Why because i have a pit? hes on a leash not looking for trouble and gets attacked? he has every right to defend himself. not my fault the owner of the shepherd cant control his dog and it was even mentioned Buster doesnt like others either.

Cerberus

In God We Trust
I have small kids and will never own one. The example Mike provided is all to plausible.
so i was right, you have no first hand experience with them just going by the media and what others tell you. and that is a perfect example why the breed has a bad name. kinda remids ya of truck drivers huh?

Mike

Staff member
I would rather him go by what others tell him than find out for himself by getting one just to see what happens around his kids.

Cerberus

In God We Trust
Ive had kids around pits and amazingly they are still alive and well. my pits have always known i am the dominate male and they do not or never have or will make a move w/o my approval. I cant control everybdies stupidity around them but i can control my dogs. i am a responsible pit owner and advocate for pit registration and stricter laws just to save the breed from the uninformed public.