Pet Rats

Duck

Quack
Supporter
The other rat loves Cheerios.

And if I put a little maple syrup on a Cheerio, he eats it twice as fast and when he's done, he starts sticking his tiny paws out between the cage wires til I give him another one. When he takes it, if I don't let go of it, he'll push against my fingers with his paws while tugging on the Cheerio with his mouth. It's hilarious. Right now he's waiting for another one.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I just spent about an hour in the barn making little Lincoln logs out of some of the smaller branches I saved from a Walnut tree I cut down in 2010. It's good wood to work with. But due to the knots I'm really wondering if it's safe to run them through the planer to make flat spots down the lengths so they sit flat on each other and I don't have any little gaps when I make the little cabin for the rat. Probably not safe in the planer cuz they're only about 6" long. They'd probably end up rocketing across the workshop. Maybe I'll just use the belt sander. But that'll take forever.

terrylamar

I just spent about an hour in the barn making little Lincoln logs out of some of the smaller branches I saved from a Walnut tree I cut down in 2010. It's good wood to work with. But due to the knots I'm really wondering if it's safe to run them through the planer to make flat spots down the lengths so they sit flat on each other and I don't have any little gaps when I make the little cabin for the rat. Probably not safe in the planer cuz they're only about 6" long. They'd probably end up rocketing across the workshop. Maybe I'll just use the belt sander. But that'll take forever.
Dude! You need to get a life!

HoneyBadger

If you want a wooden pen (the writing kind) made out of some of that walnut, let me know. One of my minor hobbies is making wooden pens.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
If you want a wooden pen (the writing kind) made out of some of that walnut, let me know. One of my minor hobbies is making wooden pens.
I saved 80% of that tree because I wanted to make outdoor log furniture and get one of those doweling machines for making dowel & socket joints like in these pictures. I think I don't think I saved anything smaller than about 1-1/2" in diameter but I wish I did because I like making little things for the rat to climb on. It's gotta be boring living in a cage, even if it's bigger and more ... interesting .. than a typical rodent cage.

Dude! You need to get a life!
View attachment 15962
View attachment 15962

HoneyBadger

p[[
I saved 80% of that tree because I wanted to make outdoor log furniture and get one of those doweling machines for making dowel & socket joints like in these pictures. I think I don't think I saved anything smaller than about 1-1/2" in diameter but I wish I did because I like making little things for the rat to climb on. It's gotta be boring living in a cage, even if it's bigger and more ... interesting .. than a typical rodent cage.

View attachment 15963
View attachment 15963

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Mrs. Duck caught a monarch butterfly and I wanted to feed it to the rat, and she didn't want me to, so she let it go. Then she caught a june bug and gave it to me. I turned it loose in the rat's cage and he pounced on it like a cat and ate it. It was cool. The june bug was buzzing and kicking it's legs around trying to get away even after the rat had bit it's head off.

terrylamar

Mrs. Duck caught a monarch butterfly and I wanted to feed it to the rat, and she didn't want me to, so she let it go. Then she caught a june bug and gave it to me. I turned it loose in the rat's cage and he pounced on it like a cat and ate it. It was cool. The june bug was buzzing and kicking it's legs around trying to get away even after the rat had bit it's head off.
Now we are going to have to skip of June. Don't catch a July Bug!

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Now we are going to have to skip of June. Don't catch a July Bug!
Ok now they're both dead.

Cage is going outside, gonna clean it out, bleach it, hose it down & put it in the barn til I do more research about why animals that are supposed to live for 2-3 years mysteriously die after less than a month, when [MENTION=4229]terrylamar[/MENTION] never got within 1000 miles of them.

RACEFAN

Space Truckin
Supporter
That sucks man. Yeah, you should get ur next ones from a breeder. Healthier and happier I'm sure. Good luck. They are very smart lil critters. I used to have a friend that had one. Used to just hang out with us and was a very curious lil guy.