Percentage Pay

Cerberus

In God We Trust
Anybody ever done it ? I like to pretty much know what i am making but i wonder if there is any money on % pay and how does one know if they are making what they are supposed to be making ? My thinking is it would be pretty decent money as long as they don't haul cheap freight. Can somebody enlighten me on this % pay.

Wyatt Earp

Anybody ever done it ? I like to pretty much know what i am making but i wonder if there is any money on % pay and how does one know if they are making what they are supposed to be making ? My thinking is it would be pretty decent money as long as they don't haul cheap freight. Can somebody enlighten me on this % pay.
% pay is better due to the fact that they have to pay you the percentage that you agree upon and you can request a copy of what they charged the customer.

Wyatt Earp

unlike mileage pay where they can just pay you by whatever set of miles they use, ie: pcmile (always short)

Cerberus

In God We Trust
% pay is better due to the fact that they have to pay you the percentage that you agree upon and you can request a copy of what they charged the customer.
they are offering 22-23% pay. Good ?

unlike mileage pay where they can just pay you by whatever set of miles they use, ie: pcmile (always short)
see thats what i am tired of. running all those extra miles for free. i hate how they pay drivers from point a to point b and it is in a direction with roads that trucks can't drive on. it's not uncommon to drive 300-400 miles a week and not get paid for them.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
i have done this and it stinks.....you won't be getting paid deadhead miles, because an empty trailer at 20% is still an empty trailer...........= ZERO dollars...

then too, no matter what anyone says, you will NOT see the charges the customer is paying. if you are doing this for an owner-operator, he will pay you a percentage of what HE SAY'S he's getting........

if you are on your own, then you will see the cost/charges

tkae the mileage pay, get deadhead miles...so what they short change you a few miles...they all do, but you still earn money over percentage.......

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
they are offering 22-23% pay. Good ?

see thats what i am tired of. running all those extra miles for free. i hate how they pay drivers from point a to point b and it is in a direction with roads that trucks can't drive on. it's not uncommon to drive 300-400 miles a week and not get paid for them.

no.....22-23% is lousey, when i think i was getting 20% back in 1991-1992...!!

so i can see the percentage pay hasn't climbed much over what, 16 years....???

Wyatt Earp

Depends on the type of driver you are. I own my own company and won't work for less than 85% but also depends on the freight. I would figure out miles and compare then make my decision.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
I am assuming 22% you must be a company driver

i think he is.....

when i worked for an o/o he got an advance of 80%, then paid me my 20% out of that....

god help me those times i had to deadhead for free.............

no freight in the trailer means no %.............

i'll take miles over percentage ANY DAY..........

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
My thinking is it would be pretty decent money as long as they don't haul cheap freight. Can somebody enlighten me on this % pay.

you had better hope they DON'T haul cheap freight.....

22% of a load that pays $500 one way is $110.

and that can be over 500 miles, and if it was and they paid .45¢ per mile, that would be $225.

meaning you already lost $115.................

Wyatt Earp

That's why you figure your miles before you commit. I include all my deadhead and add about another 50 and figure from there.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
That's why you figure your miles before you commit. I include all my deadhead and add about another 50 and figure from there.
yes, but you are an o/o..........he ain't.............

this is the cheapest rate of pay an o/o can offer a driver, then too of course, probably no bene's, maybe even a 1099..........this applies to o/o's that hire drivers....

now, if its a regualr company, then he "might" be compensated for bene's, and deadhead, and taxes taken out.............

but i'll just bet that mileage pay (for deadhead) will be LESS than the prevailing pay if all his driving were to be mileage based rather than percentage.....

also now, you as an o/o can find loads...........he's a company driver...........he has to sit and wait.....he can't charge any extra for deadhead.....he'll never know where he's going to deadhead to...........

Cerberus

In God We Trust
yep i am a company driver. i make pretty decent on the cpm mile now. thanks for the input fellas. i thought the contents in the box was worth more and these companies got paid more to haul it than like 500$. i was figuring no less than 1000$ to haul it then my 22% would be like 220$. which is about what i get paid now per day.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
yep i am a company driver. i make pretty decent on the cpm mile now. thanks for the input fellas. i thought the contents in the box was worth more and these companies got paid more to haul it than like 500$. i was figuring no less than 1000$ to haul it then my 22% would be like 220$. which is about what i get paid now per day.
as a company driver...........you will never know the worth of the contents in the box....they will never tell you, and they don't have to. its thier load, not yours.
always realize that percentage pay is going to pay you a flat rate of sorts for the miles you drive. you lose (as a company driver)

Cerberus

In God We Trust
see that is what i was figuring but i wasn't sure. and now i can see how it works out to be profitable for flatbedders. thanks