OOIDA member's pit bull confiscated by animal control in Salina, Kan

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
According to the article no one was attacked or even intimidated except by the fact that the dog was loose briefly. I haven't heard of a jurisdiction that insist on putting a 'dangerous breed' down with no recourse when no harm or injury occurred.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
He's OTR 50 weeks a year and this is the only 'incident' he's ever had (supposedly). I'm sure he feels like a dumbass at the moment.

You've never had a single escape incident?

Hell, I've had a grandson bolt on me...
coupla times!!
:D

Fortunately they were apprehended before the authorities got involved.
;)

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I bet a dog pound wouldn't be too hard to breach.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
He's OTR 50 weeks a year and this is the only 'incident' he's ever had (supposedly). I'm sure he feels like a dumbass at the moment.

You've never had a single escape incident?

Hell, I've had a grandson bolt on me...
coupla times!!
:D

Fortunately they were apprehended before the authorities got involved.
;)
Yes. My dog esccaped a few times. Basenji are notorious for that. But Basenji are not on any municipal hit lists.

As the owner of a dog that is banned in a bazillion places, it's his job to keep her safe. That means keeping her out of the reach of animal control, especially in a city he's a legal resident of and should know the ordinances of.

He, further, made the mistake of trusting someone else with his responsibility, who has no stake in the matter.

Now, a beautiful animal is going to give her life for his stupidity.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Yes. My dog esccaped a few times. Basenji are notorious for that. But Basenji are not on any municipal hit lists.

As the owner of a dog that is banned in a bazillion places, it's his job to keep her safe. That means keeping her out of the reach of animal control, especially in a city he's a legal resident of and should know the ordinances of.

He, further, made the mistake of trusting someone else with his responsibility, who has no stake in the matter.

Now, a beautiful animal is going to give her life for his stupidity.
Yeah, he flubbed up.
Once in 5 years for, call it an hour.
I just think that Salina could give Sophie a reprieve considering the circumstances.

I wouldn't want to play slug-out with Nathan comparing my flub-ups to his.

Would you?

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know him. But my goof-ups didn't cost my dog his life.

For the record, I do not agree with breed bans. This issue goes far beyond one OOIDA member claiming his dog was confiscated as he was passing through. (more on that later)

It breaks my heart that a sweet and beautiful dog like this is on death row for nothing more than simply existing. It's not right...and it is based purely on prejudices against a breed of dog created by stereotypes that are often perpetuated by the owners themselves.

There has been a lot made of this dog recently:

He's a big teddy bear, trust him with my toddler, gentle giant, blah blah blah.

And then, when studding him out for $20K a pop (literally), he is shown a different way:

wait...what?

Yeh, he's a real sweetheart, alright. I'd trust him with a toddler.
If I was smoking crack!

The point is, pit people bring a lot of this on themselves. They'll tell you how wonderful and sweet their dogs are until it's time to make a buck or two off them. Then, it's more how big of an asshole is the dog and can it beat up other dogs, people, whatever. As a result of this nonsense (combined with some very few but very horrifying maulings), many cities have banned pit bulls. Again, I do not agree with this.

Here's the law Salina has on the books:
Salina Code. City of Salina, Kansas. Chapter 7. Animals. ARTICLE IX. BREED SPECIFIC REGULATIONS DIVISION 1. PIT BULL DOGS

Primary Citation: SALINA, KS., CITY CODE §§ 7-141 - 7-149 (2010)
  • Date Adopted: 2010
  • Jurisdiction Level: Kansas
  • Last Checked: June, 2012
Summary:
No resident shall own, keep, harbor, or possess a pit bull dog within the city limits of Salina, Kansas. Exceptions are made for pit bulls registered on the effective date of this ordinance as long as the owners comply with the requirements. The requirements include keeping the dog on a leash if not confined, microchipping, “Beware of Dog” signs, a color collar, liability insurance of $100,000, and identification photographs. Violations may result in seizure of the dog(s), a fine of $2,500, and/or by imprisonment up to one year.
There is no indication of how long Mr, Stewart has been a legal resident of Salina, KS. If it's been more than five years, I'm sure there was a loud uproar when this ordinance was being debated and subsequently passed. The article says the dog is five years old. Presumably, she has been under his care for all or most of her life. There has to have been -at some point during that time- a conversation in which breed restrictions and bans in general has been discussed.

I have never encountered a pit person who was not at least somewhat versed in pit bull bans, even if it only went as far as, "All these bans are just so much bullshit." (which I agree with)

This dummy didn't bother to check whether that would be an issue in a place he calls his legal residence (therefore, making him a resident, and not just some trucker passing through town). He would logically return to Salina, KS periodically. With his dog. Which the city made illegal in 2010. And now, he appears to be claiming ignorace...which has never been accepted as a defense to any type of citation.

I don't feel sorry for him. I feel utterly despondent for that dog. She has the misfortune of being entrusted to the care of a complete imbecile.

First off i am nathan stewart.
The reason why i contacted the ooida was to let other drivers know of what the city is doing. Yes i pass through salina. Yes i recieve my mail there. But i dont live there. I got my dog sophie in december to keep me company on the road.when i got her the reasoning was to get me off the truck every couple of hours so i can exercise but running and taking care of her. I was also trying to quit smoking and going from 2 packs a day down to 6 cigarettes per day was a huge improvement. Plus i didnt want her breathing in the 2nd had smoke. Before i got sophie i wanted a good dog around anybody. And thats what i got. Ive had her around 2 year olds and she never growled or nipped. She was already spayed and up to date on her shots. I didnt want a pit bull for fighting. I dont want any dog to fight. I just wanted a companion.
When i came into town to visit my friends sophie opened up a window and found the nearest person she could to be next to. My buddies roommate got her back into the house before animal control showed up and they were told they cannot tresspass on private property without a warrant. We were told that they didnt need a warrant to tresspass on private property and inspect his home to deem my dog a vicious breed. I refused and thats when 4 of salinas best of the rest officers threatened me with obstruction of justice for not complying.
Fact remains i was bullied into allowing them to search without a warrant under duress for them to take my dog. How would you feel if police raided your home to search through your things without a warrant or just cause? Would you feel violated? Wouldnt you cry wolf as well? Before you start badgering and belittling for every nit picky excuse you can come up with just remember you do have constitutional rights. The right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness is one of them guaranteed by the kansas constitution. As far as public safety is concerned why dont we enact vicious dog bans. Sophie was covered by my trucking insurance which by the way starts at 1 million. 10 times the required coverage. What if your government told you you cannot own a gun due to public safety? You are correct, ignorance is no excuse. So why is an ignorant law such as this allowed to stand as legal in places when the american bar association said they are a waste of tax payers dollars and tie up courts that could help in putting away murderers and rapists and real criminals. In short, you are an ignorant slave injun that goes along with what your told.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."--- Thomas Jefferson

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
N nathan stewart ... first, Injun is a good person, so your harsh words toward her aren't deserved. We all feel for you in what happened, and its obvious that the Salina dog cops and local gestapo trampled on your rights. I take it that they put Sophie down, so I for one offer my condolences for your loss.

She is actually still being held at the animal shelter. Im sorry but i for one will take any attack against myself or my dog to the extreme. I will not stand by and have someone think they know me comment on my behavior. Before that individual actually made a comment maybe they should visit salina. The residens have a saying of come on vacarltion leave on probation. I apologize if my words were/are harsh. But the truth is that these laws are inhumane due to irresponsible owners. So everyone suffers. I cant have a weapon to defend myself, i cant have a deterrent, i cant have a pocket knife... Why dont we just mount a sign that says free **** worth x amount of dollars please hold me up? Cause its just as stupid as this law. Im sorry if im not telling you what you want to hear, maybe its something you gotta hear. I refuse to sugar coat ****, im honest. Last i knew that wasnt a crime. But if you dont mind me asking isnt prostitution? But politics isnt. Is it just me or is prostitution and politics go hand in hand

All i ask is you look at this story from a 3rd party perspective without input from pit bull breeders that raise monster dogs. I dont profit at all. Shes spayed from another shelter. Stop feeding of the media stories where sometimes they are over-exaggerating. She comes up to my knee on all fours.

Of course its easier to hide behind a computer and critique others when you arent having a boot shoved up your rear

Well to be honest i just googled my name and sophie. And i saw this. I was so PO'ed at injun that i just had to respond. Im so pissed that that individual has dogs that i cant fathom how they still have them. And it seems like they dont care at all about their pets/children. About a year ago i lost my child and decidided i wanted to drive. I signed up with central refrig. And have been driving ever since. I got sophie for my health anx for hers. I wanted to provide a better life for myself and for a dog that didnt have alot of options as far as a family goes. And i decidex on a pit bull. 1 she deterrs theives trying to steal up to 3 million in cargo. They see a pit on my truck they go to the next one. Not knowing shed lick them to death. Needless to say ive brought her to the terminal with new students and the backing yard literally came to a halt because everyone wanted to pet her. And she loved it. What i wanted to do was volunteer my time at elderly homes bringing sophie to those that think all pits are dangerous. She really is like a pit bulls ambassador. She literally had to be touching me or someone at all times. She hated being alone. I honestly cant blame her now that she had gotten out of the shelter the city wanted to throw her back in. Im sorry i just miss her and i hope she understands i want her back and im fighting for her.

Tell me if this is supposed to be a "civil"ization, why we we being barbaric to people that are contributing the betterment of the society? And dont our politicians remember one lesson they should of learned in kindergarten. Theres an exception to every rule

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I've had two pit bulls. Both were harmless to people but the 2nd one was too hyper & dumb to train so I gave him to my dad.

What I don't understand is where are the PETA freaks? Why are they picketing KFC & throwing paint on people wearing fur coats when they could be doing something about these Nazi-inspired dog laws?

Seriously... Nazi-inspired.

They abduct & kill dogs solely because of their "race".

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Tell me if this is supposed to be a "civil"ization, why we we being barbaric to people that are contributing the betterment of the society? And dont our politicians remember one lesson they should of learned in kindergarten. Theres an exception to every rule
Its "life." There's always some dumbazz trying to **** on your parade. Hope prevail, and get Sophie out of slam.