One way to make your truck warmer.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
So I've got an old pride transport truck out of salt lake. It's really not insulated too well.

Like bare minimum.

Anyway, I bought some of this stuff and had the body shop install a bunch when they repaired the damage after the accident last January. You can really tell the difference on the back and left side of the sleeper compared to the right side.

I cut window pieces this week and put them in for the night.

Makes the truck much more bearable to sleep in now with just the apu and bunk heater running.

It's the same stuff that the windshield sun blocker is made out of.

https://www.google.com/search?q=BP48025&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

IMG_20170127_194538.jpg

Next project will be to wire the Arctic switch on the apu up so I can "turn on" the apu any time I want.

It will run for constantly then to keep the engine much warmer.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
This right here is what I keep meaning to address in my truck. Overall, the truck is well insulated, but the weak link is the windows. 4 windows in the sleeper, and they are right there at your head and your feet.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Yop.

My bunk windows have been done for a while now.

I want a more custom piece for the windshield. But have one I bought at Walmart some time ago that is used for now.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
this is what I used underneath of my sleeper and a few other places, after putting it on I sprayed it with body undercoating to protect it and after 750,000 miles it never gave me a problem and really made thins nice in the hottest weather and coldest climates.
it ain't exactly cheap but quickly pays for itself.
if you do use it be sure to get plenty of tips as once you quit spraying even for 30 seconds it it quickly solidifies in the nozzle
Tiger Foam | Spray Foam Insulation | Order Kits

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Kewl.

Been considering that as well and then doing a rhino liner or similar. I'm really feeling the floor now.

Under my mattress I have 4 moving blankets folded in 1/4. Gives me 4 layers of nice insulation there two.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
I just looked and it has an R factor of r-6 per inch I put 4" on for an R value of R 24
be sure to prep the area well for best adhesion

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
So I've got an old pride transport truck out of salt lake. It's really not insulated too well.

Like bare minimum.

Anyway, I bought some of this stuff and had the body shop install a bunch when they repaired the damage after the accident last January. You can really tell the difference on the back and left side of the sleeper compared to the right side.

Makes the truck much more bearable to sleep in now with just the apu and bunk heater running.

It's the same stuff that the windshield sun blocker is made out of.

https://www.google.com/search?q=BP48025&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

View attachment 38379

Next project will be to wire the Arctic switch on the apu up so I can "turn on" the apu any time I want.

It will run for constantly then to keep the engine much warmer.
I put that stuff over the windows in my camper a couple years ago but I don't know if it made a difference because I never heated it before I did that.

Doesn't that stuff need an air gap to get full R value out of it?

I read all the specs on it but forgot them all.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Oh, and I'm cleaning my oven now. Not really, I just pushed a button. It is radiating heat. If I stand near it I can feel heat. Hence, radiating heat.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
When I was in high school physics wasn't taught until the 12th grade. You could go the general or college route. I went college and physics was not required. I went to college and physics was not required either for the computer science program. I had a lot of math and I don't think I've ever used those skills even today. Everything has been worked out. We have an unlimited amount of memory in computers so every conceivable calculation has been done and stored in a memory array for reference. I turned out OK. I actually have a job, I don't live in my parents house and I have a valid drivers license.

Tazz

Infidel
When I was in high school physics wasn't taught until the 12th grade. You could go the general or college route. I went college and physics was not required. I went to college and physics was not required either for the computer science program. I had a lot of math and I don't think I've ever used those skills even today. Everything has been worked out. We have an unlimited amount of memory in computers so every conceivable calculation has been done and stored in a memory array for reference. I turned out OK. I actually have a job, I don't live in my parents house and I have a valid drivers license.
You had science class in Junior High right? That is part of what they were teaching you was physics.

Hot air rises, pressure differential, light movement, reactive agents........

** Commie Express **
Supporter
You had science class in Junior High right? That is part of what they were teaching you was physics.

Hot air rises, pressure differential, light movement, reactive agents........
No, that was called science class. The book said science 101, 102 and whatever. Physics class in the 12th grade used a book called.....um.....lets see....oh yea, physics!!!

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
When I said 6th grade physics I was talking about the very basic stuff.

Fat guy and skinny guy each sitting on ice facing each other. They put their feet together and push away from each other, which one moves further? The principles that keep satellites in orbit. Energy transfer through a line of pennies on a table or those things with the hanging ball bearings. Leverage. "Give me a fulcrum and a long enough lever and I shall move the world". Archimedes screw. How a siphon works. Why hot air balloons work. Why friction makes heat. Why a car needs a differential to turn corners without wearing out the tires.

Ya know, all the very basic stuff every guy should know.

My 6th grade teacher taught a lot of that stuff.

But yeah. The fact that "cold" is simply the absence of heat is among the most basic, elementary things taught in physics. (Or "science", "thermodynamics", whatever a guy wants to call it to make himself appear more "learned".)

___

I've always been shocked and appalled by how many adults don't get the concept of wind chill.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Ya, that's called science class. Physics without the math. Physical Sciences I think it's what it's called in High School. Physics was 12th grade and a lot of advanced math. You couldn't take the class without math prerequisites