On Paper for a Few Weeks. Let's Compare.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I'm going to continue on paper until we get the new system and then run the same number of work weeks on elogs. After that, I will be able to compare the two and see which method uses more time. Since all the paper-logging anti-elog people claim they're not cheating, I am logging 100% legal, log it as I run it. It'll add up to four or five weeks of each. Since my runs are fairly regular, I will be comparing same distances, same areas, same routes and same number of stops. At the end of this, I will have a completely neutral, objective result. I want to see for myself which claims hold water and which are all wet.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
I'm going to continue on paper until we get the new system and then run the same number of work weeks on elogs. After that, I will be able to compare the two and see which method uses more time. Since all the paper-logging anti-elog people claim they're not cheating, I am logging 100% legal, log it as I run it. It'll add up to four or five weeks of each. Since my runs are fairly regular, I will be comparing same distances, same areas, same routes and same number of stops. At the end of this, I will have a completely neutral, objective result. I want to see for myself which claims hold water and which are all wet.
Fake news.
:biggrin-2:
You aren't going to be completely neutral or objective since your sentiments lay [I think lie may be the correct term here but I'm not sure. I decided to substitute the term out of concern for the unintended connotation of the term lie because while the grammar police are A-holes, they do not wield ban-hammers... or tomahawks. :wink:] in one direction which you have adamantly expressed on numerous occasions.

Even the mere disdain you hold for paper logs and it's advocates will effect the result.
Stuff like the time you spend distracted by telling yourself what bullshit paper logs are while filling them out cannot be accurately measured into your test.

It will be similar to FMCSA doing a completely 'objective' study on WHY WE MUST HAVE SLEEP APNEA TESTING NOW!!
:stirpot:

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
You aren't going to be completely neutral or objective
I might be subjective in my final assessment, but I'm not going to ****eroo my times to get the results I want. :07, :22, :37 and :52 will be rounded down, :08, :23, :38 and :53 will be rounded up; times spent traveling, on duty and off duty within a locality will be combined, as proscribed by regulation.

jimmywells

Users of ELDs are quite capable of cheating too though. In a few years the next piece of legislation passed will be for driver facing cameras to catch those evil nasty cheaters from picking lying about their duty status'.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Users of ELDs are quite capable of cheating too though. In a few years the next piece of legislation passed will be for driver facing cameras to catch those evil nasty cheaters from picking lying about their duty status'.
That's not what I'm checking and it's irrelevant to what I said.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
It will be interesting to see, being as you are logging both the way you log. Not everyone logs the same.
My money is on the ELD because I have used both and found a gain when I went to E-log.

I swore i would never drive for any company with an E-log.
A buddy and myself were looking to hire a new company. He went first, worked there for about a month before I came over.
I asked about the E-logs. he said it was actually working to his benefit.
He is a numbers guy. Licensed stock broker with some big degree in bidnass.

jimmywells

All I said was I will run my paper as legal as everybody claims they do. I want to find out whether I lose any time either way. That's all.
I understand that but you mentioned cheating (that's why I brought it up) and too many people seem to think that ELDs will end cheating. In fact, just like the HOS, all they will do is open the door to more laws that restrict the industry.

jimmywells

I have used both and found a gain when I went to E-log.
How exactly did you gain by using them? I've never heard anyone mention this yet.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I understand that but you mentioned cheating (that's why I brought it up) and too many people seem to think that ELDs will end cheating. In fact, just like the HOS, all they will do it open the door to more laws that restrict the industry.
When somebody says they need "flexibility" to move a half hour further or to get the load done, they are saying if they log it the way they drove it, they couldn't do it. They are, in effect, saying they misrepresent their time. That's the definition of cheating. I can do almost anything if that's what I was testing. It's not.

I am testing the claim that elogs chew up time more than paper, all other factors being equal.

Therefore, discussions about cameras are irrelevannt.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
How exactly did you gain by using them? I've never heard anyone mention this yet.
Well, by the fact that the E-log logs right down to the minute and not in 15 minute blocks. Not much of a gain for the day but when you are looking at your 70 every bit adds up. I could turn 3800 legal miles and have 2 hours left on my 70 by the time I got back to take a 36.

The other saver is when you stop for restroom break you don't need to try and figure out where exactly you are. That also saves on form and manner violations.
At the end of the day you just do you post trip hit the button putting you in the bunk and you do not need to look up location and sit there adding up your hours for the day.
no need to do a re-cap when you are bumping up hard on your 70. Double edged sword because i always kept my paper re-cap far away from my log book because, ****:thefinger: DOT, they can do their own math if they want to know so bad:D On E-log it is right there.

jimmywells

Well, by the fact that the E-log los right down to the minute and not in 15 minute blocks. Not much of a gain for the day but when you are looking at your 70 every bit adds up. I could turn 3800 legal niles and have 2 hours left on my 70 by the time I got back to take a 36.

The other saver is when you stop for restroom break you don't need to try and figure out where exactly you are. Tho also save on form and manner violations.
At the end of the day you just do you post trip hit the button putting you in the bunk and you do not need to look up location and sit there adding up your hours for the day.
no need to do a re-cap when you are bumping up hard on your 70. Double edged sword because i always kept my paper re-cap far away from my log book because, ****:thefinger: DOT, they can do their own math if they want to know so bad:D On E-log it is right there.
Makes sense. That could all be done with digital log apps too for those who seek those types of things without wanting to do the ELD route.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
No offense but I don't have high hopes in your results. You seem quite biased toward ELDs already.
And all you want to do is argue. Why don't you wait and see what the results are instead of obfuscating the discussion with irrelevant bullshit?

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
And all you want to do is argue. Why don't you wait and see what the results are instead of obfuscating the discussion with irrelevant bullshit?
That was me...
but don't worry about it, I know we all look alike.
:biggrin-2: