ok lets talk about weapons

:toothpick::toothpick:
Just wait fer th' moron to run himself through on it. Swords aren't cutting weapons - they're piercing weapons.

:toothpick:

If that don't do it, th' .45 1911 will.

:biggrin-2:
There's no talking to you when you're like this. Go see the Doc and get yer meds in order, old bean
:coocoo:

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #44
when I was in the truck I had a k-bar and of all things wasp spray the wasp spray was the king that shot out about 10 vft and stuck to what it hit say the that would cripple as well as a well placed strike from a bat,
if I had anything else I just ain't sayin

Keep it in the truck, although I have to admit I've been thinking about a CC.
Ive been thinking on how to have it mounted so it's reachable from the drivers seat. Whatever you choose to carry in the truck. I mean my pocket knife is next to useless when I'm sitting and buckled in.

You're not really gonna be able to deploy anything long while driving. Your 4' sword ain't working from the drivers seat, either.

I could see an Asp and a knife while out of the truck. But I'm thinking more on a handgun while driving. @gearjammer a K-bar or similar would be easy to mount by the seat somewhere too

I'd have to ponder pepper spray. That's nasty **** if the winds blowing wrong.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #47
Ive been thinking on how to have it mounted so it's reachable from the drivers seat. Whatever you choose to carry in the truck. I mean my pocket knife is next to useless when I'm sitting and buckled in.

You're not really gonna be able to deploy anything long while driving. Your 4' sword ain't working from the drivers seat, either.

I could see an Asp and a knife while out of the truck. But I'm thinking more on a handgun while driving. @gearjammer a K-bar or similar would be easy to mount by the seat somewhere too

I'd have to ponder pepper spray. That's nasty **** if the winds blowing wrong.
pepper spray could render you helpless in a windy situation whereas the wasp spray wouldn't

the sheath for a k-bar can be mounted on the right or left low on the seat frame within easy reach depending on whether you are right or left handed

just like a tire thumper there is legitimate uses for it whereas if they find a gun in your truck even IF legal you are going to spend a lot of time answering questions and if they are really pricks about it you might spend some time waiting while the do ballistic tests to determine if it has been used in a crime

pepper spray could render you helpless in a windy situation whereas the wasp spray wouldn't

the sheath for a k-bar can be mounted on the right or left low on the seat frame within easy reach depending on whether you are right or left handed

just like a tire thumper there is legitimate uses for it whereas if they find a gun in your truck even IF legal you are going to spend a lot of time answering questions and if they are really pricks about it you might spend some time waiting while the do ballistic tests to determine if it has been used in a crime
Yes but except for the wasp spray or pepper spray everything else discussed is very short distance

Hence me thinking on handguns. Also a handgun may be more of a deterrent than a can of wasp spray. I'm just thinking out loud. As a flatbedder I have lots of potentially lethal weapons, but are not easy to get to. And especially while in the drivers seat or bunk

In my limited experience things get messy fast once it's hand to hand.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #49
most people can't hit the broad side of a barn at 15 feet and most bad situations a trucker is going to encounter is going to be less than that wasp spray you will be able to adjust aim quickly and if you use lethal force you are going to spend a lot of money and time proving it as justified.
just my two cents

most people can't hit the broad side of a barn at 15 feet and most bad situations a trucker is going to encounter is going to be less than that wasp spray you will be able to adjust aim quickly and if you use lethal force you are going to spend a lot of money and time proving it as justified.
just my two cents
Interesting. So de-escalate the situation and get outta Dodge, while using minimal force to keep exposure to a minimum

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #53
I've never felt unsafe. However, I am very naive in cities

With that said, while partially the news playing it up, I feel in general the USA is becoming less safe, with more random shootings and malarkey.
there are places you will go that are plain and simple unsafe you have to be prepared I just think that for me I didn't want to deal with the aftermath of using deadly force and lets face it 99% of the scumbags that want to rip you off are cowards at heart if you get in the first hit and just keep on hitting them they will beg for mercy if you feel your life is in danger the first move should be to get the hell away if you can't get in the first punch and while they are picking themselves off of the pavement grab what is handy be it a knife, tire thumper whatever and proceed to beat the hell out of them until they can't get up if it takes gutting them with a kniufe of caving in their heads with a thumper hammer whatever do it just once you are put into that position due to their actions FINISH it 0I am one to trey to solve a situation like that by peaceful means but even given my current health issues if I am put into a corner IU will do anything nessasary to be the last man standing, period.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've never felt unsafe. However, I am very naive in cities

With that said, while partially the news playing it up, I feel in general the USA is becoming less safe, with more random shootings and malarkey.
Ah, spend some time away from cable news. They play that **** up because it keeps you tuned in, and that's what jacks up advertising dollars.

Crime has been on a downswing here for some time, and no, there is not a bad guy behind every tree. I frequently deliver into inner cities. I do not hear gunshots. I do not feel threatened.

A certain "person" has made much of the violence and "carnage" in America. He's full of ****.

GAnthony

Supporter
weapons mean a lot of things, guns of course but knives,bows,crossbows,bats, tire irons and a host of other things,even a set of keys can be deadly just stick one thru your middle two fingers and you have a good stabbing weapon for self defense I used that when going into some of the truck stops.
guns I can talk about because I have been a sport shooter for many years.
there are two reasons to have guns for hunting and for protection.
for hunting a rifle in at least .223 cal. is great and cartridges are plentiful which is my number 1 reason to pick it my second choice would be a .308.
for personal protection a 9mm is a good choice again because of the availability of ammo
a 12 ga shotgun can be used for both hunting and protection depending on what shells you use don't use OO for hunting rabbit or any small animal you want to eat and don't use 6 or 8 shot to defend the homestead.
I am sure this will end up being a popular thread and a lot of differing opinions should be interesting.
later I will post my views on protection for truckers in a different thread
i was reading an article about good handguns that are dependable. one was the Ruger GP 100. apparently one can load this gun with 357's.

anyone have any experience with that brand, and the possible cost of one? (new) and maybe used.??

in all areas of the country what one may pay x amount for, will almost always be higher in in the northeast.

also, i do see at nearly all gun shops, a selection of used handguns.

is it advisable to buy used?

could you trust a used gun bought at a dealer?

do they check them for wear, accuracy, scratches, on the metal and grips, and such?

do the certify that they are either 100% perfect or close to it?

thanks in advance

ps,

i should say the article was more specific to a homeowner, and the type of handguns (both revolvers and pistols) that are dependable, easy to use and not too expensive.

Last edited:
Ah, spend some time away from cable news. They play that **** up because it keeps you tuned in, and that's what jacks up advertising dollars.

Crime has been on a downswing here for some time, and no, there is not a bad guy behind every tree. I frequently deliver into inner cities. I do not hear gunshots. I do not feel threatened.

A certain "person" has made much of the violence and "carnage" in America. He's full of ****.
I don't have cable. Usually just the FM radio. Sometimes AM

The danger of walking down an American street are highly overblown by some. That doesn't mean that bad things don't happen , and that one shouldn't be prepared to defend ones self if it should.
It also doesn't mean that, me being white, I shouldn't pay attention to the neighbourhoods I stroll through. I have no issues crossing the street if there's a group of males coming towards me. I have nothing to "prove" to anyone.

Situational awareness is very important

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
It also doesn't mean that, me being white, I shouldn't pay attention to the neighbourhoods I stroll through. I have no issues crossing the street if there's a group of males coming towards me. I have nothing to "prove" to anyone.

Situational awareness is very important
Well, duh! Yeah.