Truck Repair Oil drain pan

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
A43F4AFB-3F19-4E8C-884F-E85892F07E96.jpeg

I REFUSE to spend $3-600 on an oil drain pan. It’s a rectangle box with wheels and a handle. Besides that getting rid of 15-20 gallons of waste oil might be a pain in the ass. So, up until now I’ve done oil changes at shops.
I was getting annoyed enough with trying to get into a shop to get the oil dumped that I was just gonna order one in and be miserable for buying one.

Then....I saw it in a dumpster....a rectangular box on wheels :D

This is either gonna turn out great or be a disaster! :biggrin-2:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
8F18E147-B09C-4417-A331-9B80E79F02DF.jpeg
Got ‘er home last week. I need to make at least one drain pain for antifreeze too. Stopped by the barrel farm and got two small plastic barrels.

Where’s my skil saw...

They had snozzberries in the blue barrels. Now my shop smells like snozzberries :D

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Now drill a 3/8 hole about an inch from the top on two sides and you can use a 5th wheel puller to fetch it without crawling under.
One of the local shops placed a petcock on the side of the blue drain pan, so they could lift it up onto the rad and fill it right from the drain pan

I will have to think on rednecking up a pump for the grey one to empty it

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
One of the local shops placed a petcock on the side of the blue drain pan, so they could lift it up onto the rad and fill it right from the drain pan

I will have to think on rednecking up a pump for the grey one to empty it
Go to summit racing dot com. And get a high flow 12v electric fuel pump. Run the biggest hose you can on each end. Then get a couple pieces of 14 gauge wire long enough to run to batteries. Screw one end to pump and get some good clamps for the other end. If ya wanna get real fancy wire in a 20 amp toggle and boom you have a pump that will pump coolant back into the engine faster than I can accept it.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
It’s also good for pumping into a waste barrel too. If your going to do oil I recommend getting a hose screen so you don’t have big chunks try to go through your pump.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I will look into a pump for sure

I was trying to have one clean drain pan for good coolant I want to reuse. I can wash it at a car wash in town, if need be

I would like to keep the two separate, one clean and one dirty. I’ll be pumping the oil into 5 gallon pails for disposal.

It’ll take me a little longer doing things this way than a shop will be...but it’s a lot cheaper

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
If you wanna get really really fancy you can mount it on a little wagon or a two wheel hand truck and also put a filter head on it so it filters the coolant before you pump it back in.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
If you wanna get really really fancy you can mount it on a little wagon or a two wheel hand truck and also put a filter head on it so it filters the coolant before you pump it back in.
D138F1AA-A4B6-447D-BBA9-2A64A7841422.jpeg
It’s too tall but it works ok. Having it on the drum dolly really makes it too tall.

But, having the drum dolly there means I can move it out of the way while I work. Get it where I can lift it and set it in the dolly and scoot it wherever

Work in progress :dunno:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
E45E0E79-FAC3-4FC5-8E26-DF18B74B2D36.jpeg
Picked up four of these this week. Supposedly good for 200 pounds each. Gonna see if these will work on my oil drain pan I started building. They’ll keep the height down yet still hopefully handle the weight and roll easily

To be continued

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
View attachment 50914
Picked up four of these this week. Supposedly good for 200 pounds each. Gonna see if these will work on my oil drain pan I started building. They’ll keep the height down yet still hopefully handle the weight and roll easily

To be continued
E87A1703-F902-4FB4-806F-B2F68652FFE0.jpeg
Old versus new

Now to see if this will hold a full oil change.

I’m willing to bet it’s too small, I’m gonna try to jam the drain plug back in to stop the flow, then drop the drain plug in the drain pan, then grab a magnet on a stick and frantically fish for it before it overflows on the floor in a big puddle...

Because, that’s how these things go :D

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
How to Calculate Gallons and Tank Volume

I don’t know what I’m doing. The oil drain pan is too high, so I need to cut it down

If I make it 8” high, the drain pan measures 24” x 36”

According to that website multiply all three together, so 6912 cubic inches. Divided by 231 gives me 29 cubic gallons.

Where’s my skilsaw time to start cutting :D

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
How to Calculate Gallons and Tank Volume

I don’t know what I’m doing. The oil drain pan is too high, so I need to cut it down

If I make it 8” high, the drain pan measures 24” x 36”

According to that website multiply all three together, so 6912 cubic inches. Divided by 231 gives me 29 cubic gallons.

Where’s my skilsaw time to start cutting :D
I can't believe I remember this from my first job out of high school (oilfield instrumentation, we had to calc mud pit volumes.)

Ft^3 * 0.178 = barrels * 42 = gallons.

And yes, an API barrel is 42 gallons, not 55.

Latest posts