Truck Repair Of course just as it gets hot

InTooDeep

r3gulator3 r3gulator3 does this sound possible and or likely. Get to my wrenches shop and when we started truck the bunk fan went on high noway to control the spped. Not from the bunk or from the front controller. When I left he was removing bunk control panel. Called me later and said he is picking up a new unit. Thinks that is what caused the problem.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
r3gulator3 r3gulator3 does this sound possible and or likely. Get to my wrenches shop and when we started truck the bunk fan went on high noway to control the spped. Not from the bunk or from the front controller. When I left he was removing bunk control panel. Called me later and said he is picking up a new unit. Thinks that is what caused the problem.
Possible. I have seen a lot of control heads replaced due to wiring issues, but 25% of the time a controller goes bad. Most shops have test controllers to swap in to test and move on in diagnostics. But it is one of the possible problems.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
So to say that and then say this. With out DDDL hooked up the the truck it’s hard to diag ac on a cascading because the controller, all door actuators (e.g. blend door) the compressor, both blowers are all ran by data link through the samcab module. So unless you have a pressure issue that can be diagnosed with gauges, or an obviously broken wire. That system is much easier to diagnose with a computer plugged into the truck.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Sounds like you're about to get a lesson why it'll be cheaper to just go to the dealer.

The controls in these trucks have to be tested with the correct systems otherwise you'll just be wasting money on good parts and unneeded labor.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I want to pile on this A/C discussion. My A/C blows cold but the fan is not strong. The fan does change speeds by the fan setting from high to low.
Mechanic thinks it may be a plugged air filter. Is this possible? :dunno:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I want to pile on this A/C discussion. My A/C blows cold but the fan is not strong. The fan does change speeds by the fan setting from high to low.
Cabin air filter, and yes it’s possible

InTooDeep

The cabin filter when I got my truck was plugged up dirty as hell changed it and the fan did work better

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
I changed the cabin air filter on a 16 year old Freightliner Century once. It was so dirty I left it outside for a few weeks and a tree started growing out of it.

nan

Supporter
I changed the cabin air filter on a 16 year old Freightliner Century once. It was so dirty I left it outside for a few weeks and a tree started growing out of it.
Yeah but that's true of all the things you leave outside for a few weeks.

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
Yeah but that's true of all the things you leave outside for a few weeks.
It was on a patio table. And trees started growing in the dirt on the filter.

Sunlight + a little rain + fallen tree sperm.