Observed DOT drug tests in the past. New job / employer?

Hello. (Question in third paragraph after some rambling.) First off - please no judgement! But I understand if you do... I'm already ashamed and had this one time incident ruin my life for a 3 month period, and possibly my future. ☹

I failed a random DOT drug test at my previous employer. I would spare y'all the excuses and justifications, but I can't help myself, even though you may not believe me and it doesn't relate to my REAL question. I smoked weed with my brother in law while on a week long vacation. This was a one time thing, and NOT a routine habit, although I do accept responsibility. (It still sucks a one time mistake can ruin your future, but I understand.....mostly) I held a CDL B to fill in when others were out. I was pulled for a random shortly after returning since I did have the CDL.

Anyway - my real question is: I completed the SAP program and took NUMEROUS tests in the 2 and a half years that followed. These tests were mandated to be observed. I am starting a new job (CDL) next week. When I go to take their pre-employment test, do I need to tell them, or the lab, that I NEED to be observed, or that I was observed in the past? Does this end with the previous employer, or am I FOREVER observed? I don't mind if so. I just don't want to BRING it up if I don't have to.

Thanks for any responses and for withholding judgement (or laying into me. I get that as well. 😣)

Hey. New to the forum. I hope I'm replying to you Ontario Outlaw.

I'm not looking to pass a test. That probably WOULD be well worn territory on this forum! I had a question about whether I should mention past history to the lab or my new employer.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Hey. New to the forum. I hope I'm replying to you Ontario Outlaw.

I'm not looking to pass a test. That probably WOULD be well worn territory on this forum! I had a question about whether I should mention past history to the lab or my new employer.
Nope.

Keeps your mouths shuts, the less they know the better

If you can pass and do pass they don’t need to know anymore

Duck

Custom title
Supporter
Hello. (Question in third paragraph after some rambling.) First off - please no judgement! But I understand if you do... I'm already ashamed and had this one time incident ruin my life for a 3 month period, and possibly my future. ☹

I failed a random DOT drug test at my previous employer. I would spare y'all the excuses and justifications, but I can't help myself, even though you may not believe me and it doesn't relate to my REAL question. I smoked weed with my brother in law while on a week long vacation. This was a one time thing, and NOT a routine habit, although I do accept responsibility. (It still sucks a one time mistake can ruin your future, but I understand.....mostly) I held a CDL B to fill in when others were out. I was pulled for a random shortly after returning since I did have the CDL.

Anyway - my real question is: I completed the SAP program and took NUMEROUS tests in the 2 and a half years that followed. These tests were mandated to be observed. I am starting a new job (CDL) next week. When I go to take their pre-employment test, do I need to tell them, or the lab, that I NEED to be observed, or that I was observed in the past? Does this end with the previous employer, or am I FOREVER observed? I don't mind if so. I just don't want to BRING it up if I don't have to.

Thanks for any responses and for withholding judgement (or laying into me. I get that as well. 😣)
I wouldn't tell them about the observed mandate. Just go in and do the whiz quiz like normal.

I wouldn't tell them about the observed mandate. Just go in and do the whiz quiz like normal.
That's what seemed logical and what I intend. I guess my post was just to make sure I was doing the right thing?

It's a fine line with no clear, surefire answer. Being totally upfront and possibly damning yourself, or withholding information and if it comes up - it looks like you were withholding information (or worse - lying!). They didn't ask, so I don't think I'm going to tell.

Nomad1

B()()()B
Supporter
That's what seemed logical and what I intend. I guess my post was just to make sure I was doing the right thing?

It's a fine line with no clear, surefire answer. Being totally upfront and possibly damning yourself, or withholding information and if it comes up - it looks like you were withholding information (or worse - lying!). They didn't ask, so I don't think I'm going to tell.
I would just go in and take the test without mentioning any past practices. Follow directions exactly as you are told. I would probably even repeat all directions just so there is no miscommunication.

I would just go in and take the test without mentioning any past practices. Follow directions exactly as you are told. I would probably even repeat all directions just so there is no miscommunication.
I can't articulate how much I appreciate the advice. Feeling pretty nervous that this past mistake is going to come back to haunt me, so I really appreciate it! 👍

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Keep your mouth quiet about it unless asked. But I'd also have your documentation over the entire affair in the car and handy in case you end up needing it.

And we ***** we have that new drug testing Clearinghouse coming on line to report **** like this.....

Nomad1

B()()()B
Supporter
Keep your mouth quiet about it unless asked. But I'd also have your documentation over the entire affair in the car and handy in case you end up needing it.

And we ***** we have that new drug testing Clearinghouse coming on line to report **** like this.....
That's a good idea to have all of the documentation handy just in case.

Latest posts